The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by BucsNBills »

White seems like a #2 back we're trying to turn into a #1. He should be the change of pace/3d down back and not the primary ball carrier. Imo.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:49 pm White seems like a #2 back we're trying to turn into a #1. He should be the change of pace/3d down back and not the primary ball carrier. Imo.
He's definitely a change of pace back. Good at catching out of the backfield. But he is God awful as a pass protector though. That's why Chase Edmonds was put in on 3rd downs more as the year went on.

I hate using this word but RB is another position we've done the absolute bare minimum. A late 3rd & a bunch of JAGS at best. Might work if you have a people moving OL, which we don't. So it's no mistake this has been the 2 time defending worst run game in football.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:07 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:49 pm White seems like a #2 back we're trying to turn into a #1. He should be the change of pace/3d down back and not the primary ball carrier. Imo.
He's definitely a change of pace back. Good at catching out of the backfield. But he is God awful as a pass protector though. That's why Chase Edmonds was put in on 3rd downs more as the year went on.

I hate using this word but RB is another position we've done the absolute bare minimum. A late 3rd & a bunch of JAGS at best. Might work if you have a people moving OL, which we don't. So it's no mistake this has been the 2 time defending worst run game in football.
Late picks and JAGs has worked just fine for all sorts of winning NFL teams.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:51 pm

What does that have to do with this team that's had the worst run game 2 years in a row?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:21 pm

What does that have to do with this team that's had the worst run game 2 years in a row?
That investing premium picks and/or money in the RB position does not always correlate to being a great running team nor does it correlate to winning for plenty of teams that have invested in the position.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

In other words I don't think a premium RB on this team in 22 and 23 really changes the outcome all that much.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:19 pm

That investing premium picks and/or money in the RB position does not always correlate to being a great running team nor does it correlate to winning for plenty of teams that have invested in the position.
You missed the part about the OL I see. Having a backfield with JAGS works IF you have an OL that can be productive. See the Chiefs, Ravens, Cowboys for reference.

We don't. We have JAGS in the backfield and probably worse overall up front. Again, it's not as if the run game has just been bad or terrible. It's been the worst in football. You think we should just do nothing because of what other teams have done?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:19 pm

You missed the part about the OL I see. Having a backfield with JAGS works IF you have an OL that can be productive. See the Chiefs, Ravens, Cowboys for reference.

We don't. We have JAGS in the backfield and probably worse overall up front. Again, it's not as if the run game has just been bad or terrible. It's been the worst in football. You think we should just do nothing because of what other teams have done?
No. I think they'll address iOL early in this draft, Mauch will improve in year 2, and the running game overall will improve next season.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sure, you might believe that. They could drop significantly. It's a crapshoot

Ie: Logan Hall
Snake

Post by Snake »

It just sounds like talking out of two sides of one’s mouth. people saying, “but we’re going to add iOL talent in the draft,” (implying said talent will lead to immediate bettering of the o-line) will also say fans need to be patient with development and rookies aren’t always good.

Idk. As of today, I expect a bottom 5 run game again.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 am It just sounds like talking out of two sides of one’s mouth. people saying, “but we’re going to add iOL talent in the draft,” (implying said talent will lead to immediate bettering of the o-line) will also say fans need to be patient with development and rookies aren’t always good.

Idk. As of today, I expect a bottom 5 run game again.
If they add Barton or Johnson in the first or a pure guard in round two you don’t think those players would improve our line somewhat immediately?

And obviously I believe Mauch improves as well.

If we get another Licht small school special tackle athlete to convert to guard then I’d agree we’re unlikely to see significant immediate improvement.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I don't know where this blind faith that Cody Mauch will improve comes from @Grahamburn. You just keep repeating the same thing. This isn't Madden where you attributes automatically improve as long as your potential is A or B and you're under 30 years old.

Mauch looks like a terrible fit at G, much like Robert Hainsey is a terrible fit a C. He's in his 4th year and we've yet to see improvement. It doesn't just happen because you say it will.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 am I don't know where this blind faith that Cody Mauch will improve comes from @Grahamburn. You just keep repeating the same thing. This isn't Madden where you attributes automatically improve as long as your potential is A or B and you're under 30 years old.

Mauch looks like a terrible fit at G, much like Robert Hainsey is a terrible fit a C. He's in his 4th year and we've yet to see improvement. It doesn't just happen because you say it will.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 am I don't know where this blind faith that Cody Mauch will improve comes from @Grahamburn. You just keep repeating the same thing. This isn't Madden where you attributes automatically improve as long as your potential is A or B and you're under 30 years old.

That's actually proving the point that you have no idea what you're seeing or you dont watch the games. He played 17 games and instead of stating your case you post a video breakdown of someone's opinion on 1 game.

Edit: I'm sorry, 2 videos.

You also said "be patient, he'll improve". Yet this guy (I believe PM posted at least 1 of these videos months ago) says he's already a beast and a steal. That would mean he had a great year, right?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I post actual videos of breakdowns of Mauch’s play at RG in the NFL as a rookie. After making a transition from LT at an FCS school. You say he’s not a fit. But, I’m the one who’s delusional?

You’re something else.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 am I post actual videos of breakdowns of Mauch’s play at RG in the NFL as a rookie. After making a transition from LT at an FCS school. You say he’s not a fit. But, I’m the one who’s delusional?

You’re something else.
Mauch took 1012 snaps as a rookie. Cumulative in these 2 videos is probably what, 20-35 snaps at the most? And I'm probably being generous there.

The information you shared accounts for roughly 2% of the data on Cody Mauch. And you're using it as some proof that he had a great year or gives us reason to be hopeful for his future.

Yea, that's delusional.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I could only watch about 10 minutes before having to close it.

The guys breaking that down seem to be... optimistic, let's say, and they are letting their optimism blind them to Mauch's issues. And those analysts were often incorrect to my eyes, I agreed with them maybe a quarter of the time. For example, saying Mauch did a great job in the run game on a double team with Goedeke when Mauch was at best a passive observer of Goedeke booming a defensive tackle is just factually inaccurate.

I should make a YouTube channel.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

30 seconds in the guys says "Mauch had an up & down day".
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Screw you guys... I'm going home.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Those Bears reps look damn good to me. :shrug:
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Is that because of the RB or the OL?? A decent RB can look damn good behind a good OL and a damn good RB can look very average behind a shit OL. I'm a fan of shooting for the best OL you can get and putting a decent RB behind them, he doesn't have to be great if he's not having to break tackles in the backfield every time he touches the ball.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Selmon Rules wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Is that because of the RB or the OL?? A decent RB can look damn good behind a good OL and a damn good RB can look very average behind a shit OL. I'm a fan of shooting for the best OL you can get and putting a decent RB behind them, he doesn't have to be great if he's not having to break tackles in the backfield every time he touches the ball.
So is White a good RB?
Backside

Post by Backside »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 pm

So is White a good RB?
I think he's a hell of a lot better than this board gives him credit for. White didn't ask to be a bell cow back despite not fitting the archetype at all. We've asked for a RB who can catch passes for years. White caught everything thrown his way, and was excellent at making people miss in open space. That's his job imo.

He is what he is between the tackles. That's really not a strength of his game, especially behind the Bucs iOL. He still played all 17 games while taking on a massive workload that should never have been asked of him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm

So is White a good RB?
I think he's a hell of a lot better than this board gives him credit for. White didn't ask to be a bell cow back despite not fitting the archetype at all. We've asked for a RB who can catch passes for years. White caught everything thrown his way, and was excellent at making people miss in open space. That's his job imo.

He is what he is between the tackles. That's really not a strength of his game, especially behind the Bucs iOL. He still played all 17 games while taking on a massive workload that should never have been asked of him.
So you agree with me then?

Backside

Post by Backside »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:51 pm
Backside wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm

So you agree with me then?

Yea, pretty much.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Per CBSSports.com

"[Brady] took our starting offensive line to the side and he's like, 'Hey, if you guys can get a screen to go for more than 15 yards, I will give you $1,000 cash each. That is for you guys; so every time that we get that, I will be happy to make that payment,'" Marpet said, via JoeBucsFan.com.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:41 am Screw you guys... I'm going home.
Don't do it. That is what @Bootz wants you to do. He is never right, he just wears people down with bullshit.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

So is White a good RB?
I think he is good. Not great as of now but good

Can he be great?? Maybe with an better line that allows him to be but we don't know one way or the other. I do think it would take another RB with Barry Sanders type skill set to be great behind the line we had last year
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Selmon Rules wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 pm

So is White a good RB?
I think he is good. Not great as of now but good

Can he be great?? Maybe with an better line that allows him to be but we don't know one way or the other. I do think it would take another RB with Barry Sanders type skill set to be great behind the line we had last year
We know @Bootz think White is the second coming of Walter Payton. He would be all world if we just had someone better than Mauch blocking.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 am

I could only watch about 10 minutes before having to close it.

The guys breaking that down seem to be... optimistic, let's say, and they are letting their optimism blind them to Mauch's issues. And those analysts were often incorrect to my eyes, I agreed with them maybe a quarter of the time. For example, saying Mauch did a great job in the run game on a double team with Goedeke when Mauch was at best a passive observer of Goedeke booming a defensive tackle is just factually inaccurate.

I should make a YouTube channel.
Yes please.
I said what I said