The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by BucsNBills »

Since we're essentially in off-season mode already(you know it, I know it), I wanted a place to discuss the future of the team without cutting up the filler game threads we have remaining.

So, what kind of monster contracts we think Wirfs and AWJ will be getting? And will the Bucs be the proprietor of those contracts?

Obviously Wirfs will be, but what about AWJ? He's pretty clearly the best FS in football and a clear 1st team AP, so he's going to command big money.

Will Wirfs break $30 mil annually? How much is the best safety in football worth?
13F11B

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by 13F11B »

As much as i think the Buccaneers are baked for this season I do not want to go into off-season mode quite yet.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Words gets a record deal, for sure. I could see AWJ getting tagged.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

It is waaayyy too early to be making this thread, but I'll bite.

There's going to be some big decisions that need to be made this upcoming offseason. We currently have about $60 million in cap space and a full suite of draft picks. $11 million of that is earmarked for the rookie pool, so the budget is currently $49 million.

We need to ask ourselves several questions.

Organization:
A) Does Todd Bowles stay on as head coach?
B) If A is a No, then who is hired in his stead?
C) Does Jason Licht stay on as GM?
D) If C is No, then who is hired in his stead?

Clearing cap space:
E) Who do you clear from the cap, and when do you move them to create additional cap space, if anyone? Here's a link to Overthecap to play with:
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/tampa-bay-buccaneers

Free agency:
F) Who do you resign of our own free agents? As a primer, here's a list of our top five impending free agents, ranked by their estimated cap cost per Overthecap:

- Baker Mayfield - $30 million APY
- Mike Evans - $18 million APY
- Antoine Winfield Jr - $16.5 million APY
- Lavonte David - $8.5 million APY
- Devin White - $7 million APY

G) Who do you bring in from outside the organization in free agency?

The Draft:
H) What are your positional priorities for the upcoming draft?
I) Who are you targeting in the first round?

---

Fire away.
Last edited by Cheb on Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

@Cheb

Personally, I'm cutting Gage and trying my best to trade CD3. Devin White can get paid by some other team that's dumb enough to do so.

I'm keeping LVD for sure. Yeah LVD is getting old, but he's still playing a high level and losing both linebackers in one season would be brutal.

Mike... Idk man. I don't want to let him walk but he's going to be 31 and should be ring chasing, not sticking around for the rebuild. I'm okay with signing or letting him walk, personally.

I pay AWJ and Wirfs whatever they want within reason. They're the core of the team going forward.

Oh boy... Baker. Ill get shit on for this, but I'm probably keeping Baker and kicking the franchise QB search down the road another season. I don't think we're losing because on him and we won't be drafting Caleb so rolling with Baker is no less risky than burning a pick on the 4th or 5th QB prospect in the draft.

Speaking of the draft, I'm hoping one of the good pass rushers are still on the board because we need to take advantage of the time we have with both Kancey and Vea. Adding an elite outside pass rush to the interior chaos Fat Man and the Little Boy already cause would have a dramatic effect on the defense as a whole.

That's all I got for now.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

No other team is going to pay tunnel vision Baker 30 million. Most wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Cheb wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:19 pm
We need to ask ourselves several questions.

Organization:
A) Does Todd Bowles stay on as head coach?
B) If A is a No, then who is hired in his stead?
C) Does Jason Licht stay on as GM?
D) If C is No, then who is hired in his stead?
I think the most recent draft saves Licht and also the fact that Koetter and Arians were probably his only two head coach hires, one of whom won the ring with the team Licht put together.

A crazy stat about this draft: We already have at least three guaranteed starters at their position in Kancey, Diaby and Mauch. Palmer's potential is good enough for us to likely release Gage and not chase a free agent at WR3. Watching Dennis's film gives me hope that we may already have an immediate replacement for DWhite on the roster. A home run draft through and through.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Always a fun thread. I’ll think more or less on it depending on the outcome of Sunday’s game.

General thoughts:

AWJr. gets an extension
Wirfs gets an extension
Mike gets an extension if he wants one here

IF Bowles/Licht stay:

Baker gets an extension
White gets the tag

IF Bowles/Licht go:

Rebuild time
1st or 2nd round QB paired with Trask
White is gone
Kona

Post by Kona »

Baker has played admirably this season. If we’re out of the top 10 picks, I wouldn’t mind giving him a bridge type contract around 2/40, don’t believe he’ll fetch more than that in the open market. And if he does then I wish him good luck. If he leaves we need to address QB early, if he stays we can revisit QB next offseason.

I cut Shaq and Gage for some cap room.

AWJ will be tagged and hopefully given an extension. Wirfs still has his 5th year option, but hopefully an extension in the works this offseason.

Evans deserves to retire here, I’d offer him something along the lines of 3/60. If he wants a lot more than that I thank him for his services and we’ll see him at the ring of honor ceremony.

Lavonte comes back on another 1 year deal.

Chase McLaughlin gets re-signed.

White can hit the road.

If we’re out of the range for a top QB, it’s a good draft for pass rushers. Someone like Jared Verse from FSU opposite Yaya, have JTS spell them both (who’s 5th year option will be declined).
Tyler Nubin would be the perfect compliment to AWJr, if we can somehow land him in the 2nd. Funny enough both played at Minnesota.

Rest of the draft look for some help at LG, MLB, RB and a developmental QB.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Verse is a poor run defender. I think he'll be a late first round pick at best. If Bowles is still around I don't think he'll be on the radar.

Gage definitely gone. I think we save $11M if we cut him. Shaq would sting to the tune of about $27M in dead cap though.

3 years and $60M feels like a bargain for Mike after the season he's putting together for us. I tend to agree though, and he's likely going to fetch more than that from a contender. Ultimately I think it's up to him whether or not he stays.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I had to trade down to get Nubin and by doing so I missed the CB I wanted Quinyon Mitchell.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:08 am I had to trade down to get Nubin and by doing so I missed the CB I wanted Quinyon Mitchell.
You're fired.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Kona wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 am Baker has played admirably this season. If we’re out of the top 10 picks, I wouldn’t mind giving him a bridge type contract around 2/40, don’t believe he’ll fetch more than that in the open market. And if he does then I wish him good luck. If he leaves we need to address QB early, if he stays we can revisit QB next offseason.

I cut Shaq and Gage for some cap room.

AWJ will be tagged and hopefully given an extension. Wirfs still has his 5th year option, but hopefully an extension in the works this offseason.

Evans deserves to retire here, I’d offer him something along the lines of 3/60. If he wants a lot more than that I thank him for his services and we’ll see him at the ring of honor ceremony.

Lavonte comes back on another 1 year deal.

Chase McLaughlin gets re-signed.

White can hit the road.

If we’re out of the range for a top QB, it’s a good draft for pass rushers. Someone like Jared Verse from FSU opposite Yaya, have JTS spell them both (who’s 5th year option will be declined).
Tyler Nubin would be the perfect compliment to AWJr, if we can somehow land him in the 2nd. Funny enough both played at Minnesota.

Rest of the draft look for some help at LG, MLB, RB and a developmental QB.
Pretty much.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Holy crap, AWJ has a 91.2 pff grade overall, tied with Javon Holland for highest rated safety and I believe he's a top 5 graded defender overall.

I knew he's had a monster season, but didn't know he was up there with the elite of the elite defenders regardless of position.
Kona

Post by Kona »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:09 pm Holy crap, AWJ has a 91.2 pff grade overall, tied with Javon Holland for highest rated safety and I believe he's a top 5 graded defender overall.

I knew he's had a monster season, but didn't know he was up there with the elite of the elite defenders regardless of position.
I’ll be shocked if he and Wirfs don’t both get market setting contracts.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:05 am Always a fun thread. I’ll think more or less on it depending on the outcome of Sunday’s game.

General thoughts:

AWJr. gets an extension
Wirfs gets an extension

IF Bowles/Licht stay:

Baker gets an extension
White gets the tag

IF Bowles/Licht go:

Rebuild time
White is gone
While Bowles loves DW, what makes you think that Licht want White or willing to pay him what he will ask for?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Kona wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 am I cut Shaq and Gage for some cap room.
Cutting Shaq saves us $4,968,000, but we eat $12,433,000. I'm not sure that's wise
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Kona wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:38 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:09 pm Holy crap, AWJ has a 91.2 pff grade overall, tied with Javon Holland for highest rated safety and I believe he's a top 5 graded defender overall.

I’ll be shocked if he and Wirfs don’t both get market setting contracts.
They deserve it. They directly contributed to our super bowl win and have only gotten better since.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Kona wrote: "Baker has played admirably this season."
No, Baker has not played admirably this season. Baker's QBR is 53.4 which is rated as #19. That while the Bucs Strength of Schedule is #21 in the NFL with opponents winning percentage at 0.483. All this while a chart has shown that Baker has had a better than average clean pocket to throw from. Yet his downfield completion percentage is one of the worst in the NFL. This while having excellent receivers in Evans and Godwin. Other contributors to this and other forums have pointed out that Bakers fails to see receivers who are running wide open, yet Baker throws into double coverage. There is a reason why Baker was cut loose by his prior 3 teams.
Snake

Post by Snake »

You’d think after Tom Brady played here, people would raise their standards about quarterbacking.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:10 pm You’d think after Tom Brady played here, people would raise their standards about quarterbacking.
This fanbase and standards don't go hand in hand.
Most hated man in America.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:10 pm You’d think after Tom Brady played here, people would raise their standards about quarterbacking.
To be fair, Tom helped bring us back to Earth with his fugue state final season with us.

I'm just going back into the Long Sleep until around 2040 when we're scheduled to win another SB.

Wake me up then

Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

If the bucs arent in position to draft a good qb, they should try to get Mac Jones from the Pats.

Dude hasn't had a fair shake and he showed a lot of promise his rookie season when he had actual skill position players and a real OC.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Obsolete wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:19 am If the bucs arent in position to draft a good qb, they should try to get Mac Jones from the Pats.

Dude hasn't had a fair shake and he showed a lot of promise his rookie season when he had actual skill position players and a real OC.
I definitely think Mac Jones is much much better than what he has become and certainly the best among all QBs drafted in the first round of 2021 draft. However I definitely think he suffers from a very similar problem that Bryce Young has been struggling from. His weak arm is a real problem and the room for error has to be so small for him to not get intercepted. His ability to read defenses was at a near A level when his confidence was high as a rookie, so there may be hope that he might be able to get back to a slightly above average level of QB play. But that might be his ceiling.

I once thought Mac Jones could easily replicate the success of a Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan, two QBs I have immense respect for. I am afraid he might be somewhere between a Peyton Manning of 2014 and 2015 with a tendency to throw ducks quite frequently.

I would be more enthusiastic about Mac Jones than Baker, but our OC puts Baker in bad situations quite frequently and the current version of Mac Jones will get killed out there. I'm tired of seeing idiotic plays where all our receivers are running behind the sticks on 3rd downs, with DBs draped all over them, forcing Baker to throw a highly risky, super precise pass to set us up for a 4th and 3 at best. Canales' low moments are really low and come at some of the worst moments. Without actually seeing what a Kyle Trask might be capable of, I don't see much point in bringing in Mac Jones.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:26 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:05 am Always a fun thread. I’ll think more or less on it depending on the outcome of Sunday’s game.

General thoughts:

AWJr. gets an extension
Wirfs gets an extension

IF Bowles/Licht stay:

Baker gets an extension
White gets the tag

IF Bowles/Licht go:

Rebuild time
White is gone
While Bowles loves DW, what makes you think that Licht want White or willing to pay him what he will ask for?
They drafted him. I don't think they'll give him "what he's asked for," and neither will any other team. He certainly has not earned it on the field. I do think if Bowles/Licht are still here they'll try to retain him via the franchise tag though. Unless AWJr. isn't able to agree on an extension. In that case I'd expect he'll get it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:55 pm Kona wrote: "Baker has played admirably this season."
No, Baker has not played admirably this season. Baker's QBR is 53.4 which is rated as #19. That while the Bucs Strength of Schedule is #21 in the NFL with opponents winning percentage at 0.483. All this while a chart has shown that Baker has had a better than average clean pocket to throw from. Yet his downfield completion percentage is one of the worst in the NFL. This while having excellent receivers in Evans and Godwin. Other contributors to this and other forums have pointed out that Bakers fails to see receivers who are running wide open, yet Baker throws into double coverage. There is a reason why Baker was cut loose by his prior 3 teams.
He has played admirably for him. No, he has not been in the upper elite in terms of the entire NFL. He is having the second best season of his career, however. Not good enough.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:00 am
GreatTimes wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:55 pm Kona wrote: "Baker has played admirably this season."
He has played admirably for him. No, he has not been in the upper elite in terms of the entire NFL. He is having the second best season of his career, however. Not good enough.
QB Mac Jones of the Patriots is having his 2nd best season of his career.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:55 am
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:00 am
QB Mac Jones of the Patriots is having his 2nd best season of his career.
It wasn't meant as a Baker Mayfield endorsement.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So... What now?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:58 pm So... What now?
Now you can reward the cowardice within you that created this thread 6 weeks ago.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

haha. He thought Bucs season was over by the first week of December?! Hence this 2024 BUCS OFF-SEASON THREAD
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

To be fair it felt over at the time! I think this was before Carolina?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:54 pm To be fair it felt over at the time! I think this was before Carolina?
No this was after we bear Carolina in Tampa
Bootz

Post by Bootz »