The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by Bootz »

Packers trade Aaron Rodgers away because they have a mostly unproven Jordan Love in house and didn't think about bringing in another QB for competition.

Brady retires and instead of building around a mostly unproven Kyle Trask, they sign another QB. Build an entire media and marketing campaign around said QB and say there's a "QB competition".

Should tell you all you need to know about Trask.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

We need the draft to get here asap.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 pm Packers trade Aaron Rodgers away because they have a mostly unproven Jordan Love in house and didn't think about bringing in another QB for competition.

Brady retires and instead of building around a mostly unproven Kyle Trask, they sign another QB. Build an entire media and marketing campaign around said QB and say there's a "QB competition".

I wonder if some will realize this in 13 months when Trask is playing in the UFL.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 pm Packers trade Aaron Rodgers away because they have a mostly unproven Jordan Love in house and didn't think about bringing in another QB for competition.

Or about the difference between the two organizations.

Love was drafted in 2020. Did not start in 2020, 2021, or 2022.

Trask was drafted in 2021. Did not start in 2021, 2022, or 2023.

Not sure why you hate Trask so much, but keep dumping on the guy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:33 pm

You talk about differences then create parallels between the 2.

Per the trajectories laid out, Trask should be going into 2024 as starting QB and not backing up a guy we signed to a $100mil deal.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

His point is just that if the organization really liked Trask they would have handed him the reigns instead of signing Baker.

I do think an important caveat to that though is many members of this organization really liked Mayfield when he came out, and he just happened to be available for practically nothing in that same off-season.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Jordan Love was also a project worth taking on. He’s multiple levels above Trask in terms of physical talent. Particularly arm talent.

And that’s regardless of his success last year. As prospects, you’re just betting on different things. Trask was more productive in a much better conference. But had better teammates too. Being a more productive college player doesn’t mean you’re destined to be a better NFL player. It’s how you acquire the production. At best, Trask had average arm strength, limited mobility. Love, not so much.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I thought this has long been settled? Trask is dogshit and was a massive mistake by Licht. The 2021 draft, right after winning the SB, added absolutely nothing to the team and at least partially contributed to us not repeating.

Seriously, had Licht and the Bucs just skipped the 2021 draft altogether and forfeit all their picks, the 2021 season(or any season after) would not have been effect in any capacity.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:07 pm I thought this has long been settled? Trask is dogshit and was a massive mistake by Licht. The 2021 draft, right after winning the SB, added absolutely nothing to the team and at least partially contributed to us not repeating.

Seriously, had Licht and the Bucs just skipped the 2021 draft altogether and forfeit all their picks, the 2021 season(or any season after) would not have been effect in any capacity.
Creed Humphrey going one pick before makes you almost wish we'd lost the Super Bowl.. JK.

Weird draft. Must have been abnormally shallow because not many guys have made impacts to this point from that 3rd round and beyond. Even cherry picking guys selected after JTS have similar weighted approximate values so far in their careers. Who should we have taken over him? In fact, he hasn't been bad at all when you look at what the other options were. At least we didn't take Payton Turner like the Saints.

This draft in general was just really bad.

I think I wanted Joseph Ossai at the time with Trask's pick, but he hasn't done much either. Even with hindsight I don't see anyone where I'm like, damn, I wish we could have had that guy! Amon-Ra St. Brown in the 4th is the big whiff from the NFL in that draft.

A little trade up for Creed was the play. But, we had Jensen. There was a little run on center there with GB taking Myers and then the Chiefs taking Creed right after. I wonder if Licht panicked? They took Hainsey in the third.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... /draft.htm
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

Per the trajectories laid out, Trask should be going into 2024 as starting QB and not backing up a guy we signed to a $100mil deal.
So, you think Love would have started last year if Rodgers was still with the Packers?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

So, you think Love would have started last year if Rodgers was still with the Packers?
Obviously not. However you missed the part where they traded Rodgers BECAUSE they had Love. And when they traded Rodgers Love was immediately anointed starter.

The door was even more open for Trask. He was the only QB on the roster due to retirement. The Bucs FO & coaching staff said "nah, let's look behind door #2".
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz is right The Bucs wouldn't have brought in another quarterback if they truly believed that Trask could be the starting quarterback as he pointed out. You can't dispute that.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Jordan Love was a good quaterback when he left college, while Trask had a good season with the help of Pitts on his team if i remember correctly.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 pm Jordan Love was a good quaterback when he left college, while Trask had a good season with the help of Pitts on his team if i remember correctly.
I never watched him play, but according to the stats Trask was a better player.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ove-2.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ask-1.html
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

13F11B wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:07 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 pm Jordan Love was a good quaterback when he left college, while Trask had a good season with the help of Pitts on his team if i remember correctly.

Thanks for the links. It seems like Trask had better teammates around him, Jordan Love may not have had as much support at Utah State.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That's an even bigger indictment on Trask. Performed better in a much tougher conference (SEC vs Mountain West) and the team that drafted him didn't want anything to do with him being the starter.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 pm

That's an even bigger indictment on Trask. Performed better in a much tougher conference (SEC vs Mountain West) and the team that drafted him didn't want anything to do with him being the starter.
Tom Brady or Trask? We’ll go with Brady

Ok Bradys gone

Oh Baker Mayfield is available cheap maybe we check him out as another option

Oh Baker is more of a locker room leader and personality than Trask and they’re both performing about the same in camp, we’ll go with Baker

Oh Baker went 9-7 and won the worst division in football as well as a playoff game, we’ll go with Baker

Where exactly do you see the team saying let’s go with Trask in that timeline? Do you honestly think a NFL team would take a QB with just training camp and preseason experience over a QB with NFL experience if both QBs are performing roughly the same in camp?

What can a QB possibly do to put himself that much ahead of another QB in training camp anyways? If you put Brady and Baker against each other in training camp and nobody knew who either QB was, there would only be so much either could do to differentiate himself. Bakers fiery personality might sway people in this scenario even though we all know Brady is in another league. But it’s training camp and how is Brady supposed to show that he’s an elite QB and Baker is not in training camp?

It’s real game experience where QBs showcase their ability, and Trask has none. Trask has not had a chance.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:56 am

Ok Bradys gone

Oh Baker is more of a locker room leader and personality than Trask and they’re both performing about the same in camp, we’ll go with Baker

Oh Baker went 9-7 and won the worst division in football as well as a playoff game, we’ll go with Baker

Where exactly do you see the team saying let’s go with Trask in that timeline? Do you honestly think a NFL team would take a QB with just training camp and preseason experience over a QB with NFL experience if both QBs are performing roughly the same in camp?

What can a QB possibly do to put himself that much ahead of another QB in training camp anyways? If you put Brady and Baker against each other in training camp and nobody knew who either QB was, there would only be so much either could do to differentiate himself. Bakers fiery personality might sway people in this scenario even though we all know Brady is in another league. But it’s training camp and how is Brady supposed to show that he’s an elite QB and Baker is not in training camp?

It’s real game experience where QBs showcase their ability, and Trask has none. Trask has not had a chance.
Again, Green Bay quite literally did what you just asked if I think an NFL team would do.

As did the Panthers, Texans, Colts, Commanders.

If your QB isn't good enough to keep your FO and coaching staff from peaking around the corner, that QB isn't worth starting.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 pm

Thanks for the links. It seems like Trask had better teammates around him, Jordan Love may not have had as much support at Utah State.
Against weaker opponents.

It is my position that until Trask gets real game time play (not preseason, no trash at the end of a game) then no one really knows what he is as a player. There are guys who practice well and go to shit in a real game. There are guys who don't practice well and turn all pro during games. For the most part, in the NFL, the difference between the great ones and everyone else is that they perform in crunch time. Key 3rd down plays in tight games in the 4th quarter. I see no reason to shit on a player because they are at a position that does not rotate.

You all want to trust that what the team has done is an indicator on Trask... yet, look how long it took a DEFENSIVE coach to decide that Devin White needed to be put on the bench. It took an INJURY and KJ Britt getting real playing time. Based on your logic that would mean Todd Bowles and the defensive coaches all knew what they had in Britt and were too stupid to see it. With how I see things it is a simple fact that KJ Britt needed REAL PLAYING time for the coaches to see the real player.

You can all have your opinion. I just disagree with making assumptions about a player based on the fact they have not played.

Hell, you originally through Jordan Love was better in college. Then faced with actual stats you back pedal.
Last edited by 13F11B on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:09 am If your QB isn't good enough to keep your FO and coaching staff from peaking around the corner, that QB isn't worth starting.
Then 90% of the QBs in the NFL are not worth starting. Almost every team would dump their current starter if they thought they could land the next Patrick Mahomes (or if he was a FA).
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

13F11B wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:38 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 pm

Against weaker opponents.

It is my position that until Trask gets real game time play (not preseason, no trash at the end of a game) then no one really knows that he is as a player. There are guys who practice well and go to shit in a real game. There are guys who don't practice well and turn all pro during games. For the most part, in the NFL, the difference between the great ones and everyone else is that they perform in crunch time. Key 3rd down plays in tight games in the 4th quarter. I see no reason to shit on a player because they are at a position that does not rotate.

You all want to trust that what the team has done is an indicator on Trask... yet, look how long it took a DEFENSIVE coach to decide that Devin White needed to be put on the bench. It took an INJURY and KJ Britt getting real playing time. Based on your logic that would mean Todd Bowles and the defensive coaches all knew what they had in Britt and were too stupid to see it. With how I see things it is a simple fact that KJ Britt needed REAL PLAYING time for the coaches to see the real player.

You can all have your opinion. I just disagree with making assumptions about a player based on the fact they have not played.

Hell, you original through Jordan Love was better in college. Then faced with actual stats you back pedal.
Stats don't mean much coming from college. Love was a better prospect than Trask, by quite a bit. Also, comparing their trajectory is odd. Love was 3rd string through his first training camp, until he was named 2nd string before the season. He was the backup and took backup snaps...while Trask was 3rd or even 4th string his first year. Obviously the Packers saw more from Love as a backup than we see in Trask as they were all in on him after Rodgers left while we openly said we were looking for another QB before Tom came back and then went to Mayfield after Brady left.

That's not to say Trask can't ever be a starter, but at this point it was a bad pick and chances are really low he'll materialize to anything useful.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 pm

His point is just that if the organization really liked Trask they would have handed him the reigns instead of signing Baker.

I do think an important caveat to that though is many members of this organization really liked Mayfield when he came out, and he just happened to be available for practically nothing in that same off-season.
Wow, I hope that's not the case, LOL
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Just an opinion but I thought Trask and the special teamers were all Bruce Arians.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Double post
Last edited by Phantom on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

This. Well said Bootz
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I would also mention that Trask was a backup and 3rd string quarterback for most of his career until Franks got injured. He had one successful season at Florida, with help by Pitts and some wide receivers carrying the offense. I cannot think of any Florida quarterbacks who have excelled in the NFL, Maybe Rex Grossman? He was awful but went super bowl with Bears.
Last edited by Phantom on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Edit: damn slow wifi
Last edited by Phantom on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'd also say they havnt even allowed Trask to put the saddle on the horse let alone allow him to ride it. I cannot make no decision on Trask until that would happen. He prolly needs better o-line work than Mayfield but he can make quicker decisions because he can see the field better.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:09 am
Sdbucs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:56 am

Ok Bradys gone

Again, Green Bay quite literally did what you just asked if I think an NFL team would do.

As did the Panthers, Texans, Colts, Commanders.

If your QB isn't good enough to keep your FO and coaching staff from peaking around the corner, that QB isn't worth starting.
What QB could Green Bay have signed in the transition year from Rodgers to Love, and how do we know they didn’t pursue him?

Panthers and the rest had top picks in the draft with no other QB options and took their hopeful QBOTF. Confused what that point was

Baker Mayfield is still young, a fierce competitor, leader, and former first round pick. No, no let’s give Trask a shot he looked good in 7 on 7 drills last week. Yeah right.
Last edited by Sdbucs on Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Which part? It was definitely the case.

Bowles wanted him with the Jets, but he was the #1 pick, and he got stuck with Darnold. Licht is on record saying he was their #1 QB that year. Arians prior to coming here said he was interested in a return to coaching in Cleveland due to Mayfield.

So, I think when he came available that put their heads together and said, "why not?" Clearly was a wise choice.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 am
CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 am

Which part? It was definitely the case.

Bowles wanted him with the Jets, but he was the #1 pick, and he got stuck with Darnold. Licht is on record saying he was their #1 QB that year. Arians prior to coming here said he was interested in a return to coaching in Cleveland due to Mayfield.

So, I think when he came available that put their heads together and said, "why not?" Clearly was a wise choice.
Yep, I heard the same thing.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am Just an opinion but I thought Trask and the special teamers were all Bruce Arians.
Trask did seem to have the traits that Arians would prefer in a QB. I will add that if Arians was still the HC, I believe for that reason that Mayfield wouldn't be here, so I'm inclined to think you are correct.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:26 am
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am Just an opinion but I thought Trask and the special teamers were all Bruce Arians.
Trask did seem to have the traits that Arians would prefer in a QB. I will add that if Arians was still the HC, I believe for that reason that Mayfield wouldn't be here, so I'm inclined to think you are correct.

Well I'm not saying he didnt like Mayfield also - it just happened.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:26 am
From 2018 after Arians retired from AZ:
Bruce Arians said the 2018 draft class might have the best group of quarterbacks in 20 years. At the top of his list is Baker Mayfield.

"There are so many big, tall, talented guys," Arians said Friday. "I like Baker. His enthusiasm, because it’s real, not false. Got to curb it a little, maybe, but maybe not. Guys respect 'real' in the locker room. If that’s who you really are, they’ll follow you."
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/new ... wzk1wfqd3f