Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Re: Mike Evans Signed

Post by BucsNBills »

Thank God Evans is staying. I imagine Baker will be signed pretty rapidly now that Evans is locked down.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I thought my dad was fucking with me when he told me that Mike re-signed. Good stuff.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:23 am So, does this mean Evans is retiring after the 2025 season or we go through this again in the 2026 offseason?

OOORRR... is it a deal where the Bucs could trade him before the draft to get real value, since the buying team gets him for 2 seasons and not just 1, and a chance to do an extension?

I have a feeling it's #2... we're going to be going through this again in 2 years. At that point, maybe the deal will be 2 years for $30M.
So Mike signs a team friendly-ish deal after saying he wants to be a Buc for Life and you want to trade him immediately? JFC.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Also, love that it's a two year deal. Looks like his age definitely was a factor in the negotiations.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:28 am Also, love that it's a two year deal. Looks like his age definitely was a factor in the negotiations.
This was very smart on Evan's part honestly. He gets huge money over the next 2 seasons. As stated only Tyreek Hill has made more over a 2 year span as a WR. All of this is new money so Evans will be making bank very quickly. The $35mil guaranteed is irrelevant and might as well say $52mil guaranteed. The major question is the one @Snake posed. How many void years?
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:40 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:28 am Also, love that it's a two year deal. Looks like his age definitely was a factor in the negotiations.
This was very smart on Evan's part honestly. He gets huge money over the next 2 seasons. As stated only Tyreek Hill has made more over a 2 year span as a WR. All of this is new money so Evans will be making bank very quickly. The $35mil guaranteed is irrelevant and might as well say $52mil guaranteed. The major question is the one @Snake posed. How many void years?
Why is the $35M irrelevant? That's the part I found odd about the deal. Seemed like he could have made more or had a longer term on the open market. I guess it wasn't as hot as they expected? And/or he really did just want to be a Buc for Life.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:44 am

Why is the $35M irrelevant? That's the part I found odd about the deal. Seemed like he could have made more or had a longer term on the open market. I guess it wasn't as hot as they expected? And/or he really did just want to be a Buc for Life.
Because he's going to get every cent of this deal over the next 2 seasons. The chances of Evans being cut within 12 months are non-existent.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

And if he is cut, well then congratulations to you Mr Evans. You just made $35mil for 1 season of work and can land another deal elsewhere.
BuccaNOLEer

Re: Mike Evans (Licht said there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason)

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 am

And like I said above, they should re-sign Evans, but seeing as he is 30, it's time to start grooming his replacement. Wilson would definitely fit the mold
Yeah, I saw... but like I said, I don't trust Buc fans opinions of college players from the state of Florida as they're about 99% bias. I was really challenging your take on Wilson. Either he's a future Mike Evans where you make sure you get him and let Evans walk or you just keep Evans and draft another player of need elsewhere. If you extend Evans, it needs to be 4 years. If you draft Wilson in the 2nd round, his contract ends in 4 years. If he and Evans are similar players, they're not going to be on the field for 80% of the snaps unless you plan on running a 4-wide offense. If that happens, sure, but if not (which is where I think we all believe we're going), you're spending a 2nd round pick on a kid who won't get the playing time to warrant that price. Either that, or you're paying Evans a lot of money to be phased out over time.
I hear and appreciate what you're saying, but his intangibles don't lie. Then again, Jameis had impressive intangibles at the Combine as well and I was a big backer of him and look what happened.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

How much cap room do the Bucs have for the 2024 season?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Was personally never worried about Evans going elsewhere. Glad it’s done.

Now how much do we have left to spend lol
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:22 am Was personally never worried about Evans going elsewhere. Glad it’s done.

We won't know that for sure until Shaq's release is officially filed.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:11 am How much cap room do the Bucs have for the 2024 season?
More restructure coming to sign others.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Mike used Wolf of Wallstreet to announce he “is not fucking leaving”.

Legend
Grahamburn

Re: Mike Evans contract

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am Take a look at Davante Adams' deal he signed last year at the same age Evans is now. That's your starting point, ladies and gentlemen.

IF Licht manages to sign him for less, 2 things. A. Give Licht a lifetime contract as GM of this team and B. Evans is a complete idiot.
Update?

In fairness I think it's great for both sides. He's back and he gets a nice chunk of change very quickly. Adams' deal is different on the surface and he got more guaranteed, but his was more of a 3 year deal.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:28 am
CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:23 am So, does this mean Evans is retiring after the 2025 season or we go through this again in the 2026 offseason?

OOORRR... is it a deal where the Bucs could trade him before the draft to get real value, since the buying team gets him for 2 seasons and not just 1, and a chance to do an extension?

I have a feeling it's #2... we're going to be going through this again in 2 years. At that point, maybe the deal will be 2 years for $30M.
So Mike signs a team friendly-ish deal after saying he wants to be a Buc for Life and you want to trade him immediately? JFC.
For real.

If you thought draft groupie dogma was ridiculous before, forgot the part where it ends in ritual cannibalism.
Bootz

Re: Mike Evans contract

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am Take a look at Davante Adams' deal he signed last year at the same age Evans is now. That's your starting point, ladies and gentlemen.

IF Licht manages to sign him for less, 2 things. A. Give Licht a lifetime contract as GM of this team and B. Evans is a complete idiot.
Update?

In fairness I think it's great for both sides. He's back and he gets a nice chunk of change very quickly. Adams' deal is different on the surface and he got more guaranteed, but his was more of a 3 year deal.
Definitely redemption for Evans. He's either
making $52mil over the next 2 seasons, 2nd most all time for a WR, or $35mil for 1 if he's cut for whatever reason, most all time for a WR.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am
Sdbucs wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:22 am Was personally never worried about Evans going elsewhere. Glad it’s done.

I also imagine that Mike’s deal may include void years to help re-sign Baker.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:26 pm

Without question. Licht has gone from making this a resourceful tool to supplement and help manage the year to year cap to making it a staple in this teams contract structure. Even players on rookie deals have void years added.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Possible. Void years are a tool, you just have to know how to use it to not get burned. Like using a wok.
McKay cooked like a Swedish Muppet.
Licht cooks like a michelín chef.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:38 pm

Possible. Void years are a tool, you just have to know how to use it to not get burned. Like using a wok.
Anytime you are #1 in dead cap because of voided years I'd say that's getting burned.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:08 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:38 pm

Anytime you are #1 in dead cap because of voided years I'd say that's getting burned.
That lasted all of 1 season, and then we had the lowest dead cap in the league, won 10 games, won the division, and a playoff game. And we found our QB of the future.

I agree, we sure did get burned by that dead cap...
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:18 am How many VOID years?
Ha! Nice joke.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Where are some of y'all seeing void years in this contract? Link?
Don't tread on me
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Perfect. Now do Baker :-)
I said what I said

Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:29 pm Where are some of y'all seeing void years in this contract? Link?
Won’t know for a bit
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:44 am

I think some people don’t really give a lot of thought to the emotional cost of an uprooting your life and leaving a community you love, a team you love, an organization you love. These are the intangibles that fans don’t think about a lot of times but are a factor into a player’s decision. And I think it factored into this one.
I said what I said

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

For the reading impaired....
Option 1: He retires after 2 years.
Option 2: We do this all over again in 2 years.
Option 3: They trade him.

Hope that helps.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:43 am

For real.

If you thought draft groupie dogma was ridiculous before, forgot the part where it ends in ritual cannibalism.
Or... you failed reading comprehension in school. :D
CannonFire

Re: Mike Evans (Licht said there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason)

Post by CannonFire »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:08 am
CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 am

Yeah, I saw... but like I said, I don't trust Buc fans opinions of college players from the state of Florida as they're about 99% bias. I was really challenging your take on Wilson. Either he's a future Mike Evans where you make sure you get him and let Evans walk or you just keep Evans and draft another player of need elsewhere. If you extend Evans, it needs to be 4 years. If you draft Wilson in the 2nd round, his contract ends in 4 years. If he and Evans are similar players, they're not going to be on the field for 80% of the snaps unless you plan on running a 4-wide offense. If that happens, sure, but if not (which is where I think we all believe we're going), you're spending a 2nd round pick on a kid who won't get the playing time to warrant that price. Either that, or you're paying Evans a lot of money to be phased out over time.
I hear and appreciate what you're saying, but his intangibles don't lie. Then again, Jameis had impressive intangibles at the Combine as well and I was a big backer of him and look what happened.
Now that they re-signed Evans for only 2 years, I don't think it's a bad idea to entertain the option of this kid. I usually wait until this Combine nonsense to ferret it's way out, before I start reading up on the draft prospects.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:49 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:43 am
For real.

No, for three reasons: A, I'm not that lucky. Two, we use smoke detectors and D, we live on the most boring street in the whole United States of America, where nothing even remotely dangerous will ever happen. Period.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:09 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:49 pm

No, for three reasons: A, I'm not that lucky. Two, we use smoke detectors and D, we live on the most boring street in the whole United States of America, where nothing even remotely dangerous will ever happen. Period.
"A, 2, D", LOL Nice!
Backside

Post by Backside »

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Seems like a pretty fair deal for both sides. Hopefully this will enable him to retire as a Buc. It will be good to keep his leadership, experience, and grit in the locker room.