Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Selmon Rules

Re: Mike Evans Signed

Post by Selmon Rules »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am For the last time it wouldn't have "saved" anything. It just would've given us the option to delay it which isn't something we wanted to do anyway. And even if it were you just do it with this contract hits. Same difference.

By resigning Evans absolutely nothing was loss by that deadline. If you think there was you don't understand the cap.
I don't know who actually does understand the cap. I know I don't, lol
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It happens every year. Agents do new contracts. They text the basic details to a small group of reporters. The reporters engage in a thumb race to X, communicating the numbers as gospel.

Within a day or two, the truth puts its pants on.

This year, it started with Bucs receiver Mike Evans. Two years, $52 million! $35 million guaranteed!

It’s actually, we’re told, a two-year, $41 million deal. The other $11 million comes in the form of incentives and escalators.

The deal pays out $23 million fully guaranteed in 2024. He’s due to make $18 million in 2025. Of that amount, $6 million is fully guaranteed and $6 million is guaranteed for injury.

So it’s a $20.5 million deal, not a $26 million contract. And it has $29 million fully guaranteed at signing.
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -two-years
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Jason Licht you a genius my boy!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I retract my statement. Mike Evans is simply a bad businessman. Amazing player and human being. But bad businessman.
Last edited by Bootz on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most hated man in America.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Great deal
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

My take is the opposite of Greedy Bootz. My guess is that Mike Evans, being rich beyond avarice, just isn't as concerned with the $ #'s like many of us common poor folk. There are other, non-monetary things at this point in his life that he took into consideration. At which point, he weighed the entire package, and came to his decision.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:34 pm My take is the opposite of Greedy Bootz. My guess is that Mike Evans, being rich beyond avarice, just isn't as concerned with the $ #'s like many of us common poor folk. There are other, non-monetary things at this point in his life that he took into consideration. At which point, he weighed the entire package, and came to his decision.
Can't always put a monetary value on family, community, and home.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:34 pm My take is the opposite of Greedy Bootz. My guess is that Mike Evans, being rich beyond avarice, just isn't as concerned with the $ #'s like many of us common poor folk. There are other, non-monetary things at this point in his life that he took into consideration. At which point, he weighed the entire package, and came to his decision.
Whatever. I give Chris Godwin credit for getting all he can as soon as he can. And he'll be a free agent again next year at 28. People like Evans aren't competing with you and I. They are competing with their peers. Well not Evans but the other WRs.
MRM

Post by MRM »

I'm beyond thrilled he's staying with Tampa. Another guy who will have played his entire career with the team. Potential free agents (and our own) should look at that knowing it's a solid organization.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

If Mike Evans were a QB, he'd be let's say Joe Burrow. And it would be like Burrow taking a deal similar to what Daniel Jones got.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:43 pm
Whatever. I give Chris Godwin credit for getting all he can as soon as he can. And he'll be a free agent again next year at 28. People like Evans aren't competing with you and I. They are competing with their peers. Well not Evans but the other WRs.
Like I said. Not everyone is just about the money. You do what's important to you and Mike did what's important to Mike.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:45 pm If Mike Evans were a QB, he'd be let's say Joe Burrow. And it would be like Burrow taking a deal similar to what Daniel Jones got.
Mike Evans is to the WR position as Kirk Cousins is to the QB position.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:45 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:45 pm If Mike Evans were a QB, he'd be let's say Joe Burrow. And it would be like Burrow taking a deal similar to what Daniel Jones got.
Overrated,overhyped, not as good as his contemporaries?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:50 pm

Very good but not considered one of the top tier guys in the league?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:50 pm

And who in the hell is overhyping and overrating Cousins...never heard anybody say he's one of the best in the game...ever.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So either Licht paid out too much money for Evans, or Evans is a bad businessman.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:28 pm So either Licht paid out too much money for Evans, or Evans is a bad businessman.
Licht never paid too much for him. No such thing in my estimation.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:51 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:43 pm

Like I said. Not everyone is just about the money. You do what's important to you and Mike did what's important to Mike.
Mike is in the minority in that regard. All of these guys are millionaires yet year after year we see more and more record setting contracts. You have to know why, right?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:10 am

Mike is in the minority in that regard. All of these guys are millionaires yet year after year we see more and more record setting contracts. You have to know why, right?
Yes. Because money is the driving factor of their lives.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Mike just signed the highest FA contract for a WR at age 30 ever. It's also 3 times higher than the 2nd highest FA contract signed by a 30 year old WR. Three times higher...

Bad businessman, indeed. :roll:
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:37 am

Mike just signed the highest FA contract for a WR at age 30 ever. It's also 3 times higher than the 2nd highest FA contract signed by a 30 year old WR. Three times higher...

Solid cherry picking there :roll:
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:46 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:37 am

Cherry picking? More like comparing Apples to apples. Fruit references! Whether people want to admit it or not being a year older than your comps when you sign a deal matters.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:46 am

Cherry picking? More like comparing Apples to apples. Fruit references! Whether people want to admit it or not being a year older than your comps when you sign a deal matters.
"He's 29 years old and ascending so let's gladly sign him to a 5 year deal for $28mil/ year that wont be done until he's 34".

"He's 30 years old and declining. He's only worth a 2 year deal for about $20mil/year that will be done when he's 32"

Yea that makes perfect sense, kiddo :roll:
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:53 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 am

"He's 29 years old and ascending so let's gladly sign him to a 5 year deal for $28mil/ year that wont be done until he's 34".

"He's 30 years old and declining. He's only worth a 2 year deal for about $20mil/year that will be done when he's 32"

I know it's deflating to your ego to be wrong. You can just admit you were instead of suggesting Mike is somehow a bad businessman.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:59 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:53 am

I know it's deflating to your ego to be wrong. You can just admit you were instead of suggesting Mike is somehow a bad businessman.
Not deflating my ego at all. Just calling out your wacky and down right hilarious logic here. That if you're 29 when you sign a deal it means your level of play won't decline for the light of a long term deal but if you're 30 well then it's all downhill from there.

You know it's ridiculous logic which is why you won't bother to defend it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:01 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:59 am

Not deflating my ego at all. Just calling out your wacky and down right hilarious logic here. That if you're 29 when you sign a deal it means your level of play won't decline for the light of a long term deal but if you're 30 well then it's all downhill from there.

Nobody said anything like that regarding any kind of age cliff for a player who is 29, or 30, or 31. But, continue to gaslight. You're a pro at it.

Although, it seems like the Bucs and NFL feel similarly about free agent 31 year old WRs as I did earlier in the thread.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:07 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:01 am

Nobody said anything like that regarding any kind of age cliff for a player who is 29, or 30, or 31. But, continue to gaslight. You're a pro at it.

Although, it seems like the Bucs and NFL feel similarly about free agent 31 year old WRs as I did earlier in the thread.
You said being 1 hear older/younger makes a difference.

So I'm asking you to explain your positioning here. The ages can vary since the parameter you set was a 1 year difference. So tell me how a 29 year old WR can net a deal for $28mil+ and 5 years but a 30 year old can only muster up $20mil & 2 years.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:12 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:07 am

So I'm asking you to explain your positioning here. The ages can vary since the parameter you set was a 1 year difference. So tell me how a 29 year old WR can net a deal for $28mil+ and 5 years but a 30 year old can only muster up $20mil & 2 years.
We're talking about Adams versus Evans, right? Adams signed his deal at 29. It's a 5 year deal, but it really isn't, and you know that. It's a 3 year deal with options basically for the final 2 that he's unlikely to see without some kind of restructure because his cap hit is $44M in 2025. Because he's a year younger the Raiders could expect another season of dominant WR production out of him on the first year of his deal, and they got it.

The Bucs already had Mike under contract for his year 29 season, and they got that production too. Mike's new deal just cuts through that option year BS at the back end where it's likely his production declines. When you break them down accounting for their differences in age it's practically the same contract and even a little better for Mike considering AAV. I imagine when we know the details of the incentives they'll be rather easy for Mike to hit them for the full value.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:12 am

We're talking about Adams versus Evans, right? Adams signed his deal at 29. It's a 5 year deal, but it really isn't, and you know that. It's a 3 year deal with options basically for the final 2 that he's unlikely to see without some kind of restructure because his cap hit is $44M in 2025. Because he's a year younger the Raiders could expect another season of dominant WR production out of him on the first year of his deal, and they got it.

The Bucs already had Mike under contract for his year 29 season, and they got that production too. Mike's new deal just cuts through that option year BS at the back end where it's likely his production declines. When you break them down accounting for their differences in age it's practically the same contract and even a little better for Mike considering AAV. I imagine when we know the details of the incentives they'll be rather easy for Mike to hit them for the full value.
You can go Kupp as well, although his deal was only 3 years and more money. Anyway you slice it, Evans took significantly less and your position is because he did so at 30 instead of 29.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:29 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 am

You can go Kupp as well, although his deal was only 3 years and more money. Anyway you slice it, Evans took significantly less and your position is because he did so at 30 instead of 29.
Took less. Was offered less. Expected less. Sure, however you want to phrase it. Mike is 31 at the beginning of this season. He's not going to get the same contract a 28 or 29 year old player would because the first two years of the deal are what matter the most.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:31 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:29 am

Took less. Was offered less. Expected less. Sure, however you want to phrase it. Mike is 31 at the beginning of this season. He's not going to get the same contract a 28 or 29 year old player would because the first two years of the deal are what matter the most.
I'm glad you said it so now you see how ridiculous your logic is. And if you don't understand it, there's nothing more to be said.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So we got a good deal on our star HoF #1 WR and somehow that's an issue.

Evans could've got more elsewhere but he chose to stay with the Bucs because he wanted to. I think that says much more about the team, org, and Evans character, than it does as a supposed bad business man.

I mean, Devante got the bag, and every time he does a press conference or locker room interview the dude is absolutely miserable.

I think Evans knows more about his families needs and desires than the people just saying More Money Me Money Now...
Snake

Post by Snake »

I was hoping for more term, but if Mike wants to retire in 2 years, that’s his choice.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:02 pm So we got a good deal on our star HoF #1 WR and somehow that's an issue.

Evans could've got more elsewhere but he chose to stay with the Bucs because he wanted to. I think that says much more about the team, org, and Evans character, than it does as a supposed bad business man.

I mean, Devante got the bag, and every time he does a press conference or locker room interview the dude is absolutely miserable.

I think Evans knows more about his families needs and desires than the people just saying More Money Me Money Now...
It’s a fair market deal for a WR that will be 31 when the season starts.