Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Terry Tate

Re: Mike Evans (Licht said there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason)

Post by Terry Tate »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:22 pm
Cheb wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:27 pm

We can print 67 million dollars by restructuring Chris Godwin, Vita Vea, Carlton Davis, Tristan Wirfs, and Jamel Dean. Add that to the $43 million in cap space we have currently and the Bucs would shoot up to $110 million in cap space, good for most in the league by $21 million.

It CAN be done. WILL it be done is another matter.
Should it be done is the bigger matter. That's overkill to the fullest. You're not "restructuring" Chris Godwin, Carlton Davis or Tristin Wirfs. You're extending them as they only have 1 year left on their deals. And of those 3 there's only 1 I'd say should be extended without question.

The Bucs have gone from 1 extreme to another in a relatively short time period. We use to never even give out signing bonuses, let alone voidable contracts. Now we've been the poster children for voidable deals over the past 3 years or so. Had the largest dead cap total in league history. Next year is already looking bad with Godwin & Shaq account for $30mil+ in dead money despite not being under contract.

Licht needs to reign it in. This pandora's box he's opened up will turn sour sooner than later if he doesn't get it under control. Not do away with voidable years all together. But be a lot less aggressive.
Thr Bucs bounced from one extreme to another because they went from trying to get over the hump to trying to cash in their window in one FA signing. He just loaded as much as he could and worried about the debt later. Given that we won one chip and had a real shot at a second, I'd do that deal again.

I'll give him credit for one thing, he's handling the post super bowl debt payoff a lot better than we did in 03 and 04.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Think that’s just the reality of the NFL.. stacking a roster of talent only lasts so long and to prolong it you sacrifice the future.

We were completely stacked with talent when we won our superbowl. And we tried to retain that and win another. Now we’re suffering the consequences.

That’s also why QB is so valuable, in theory. An elite QB can win with a comparatively cheap roster around him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

My prediction:

Mike Evans: 4 years, $103M
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:52 am My prediction:

Mike Evans: 4 years, $103M
Don't think that'll get it done. Also need to know what the guarantees are.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Again, why wouldn't you pay Evans what guys around his age are getting? Davante Adam is 8 months older. Cooper Kupp is 2 months older. Tyreek Hill is 7 months younger. All are in that $27-30mil/year range? Is Evans not as good?
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:56 am Again, why wouldn't you pay Evans what guys around his age are getting? Davante Adam is 8 months older. Cooper Kupp is 2 months older. Tyreek Hill is 7 months younger. All are in that $27-30mil/year range? Is Evans not as good?
Yup. He's not taking another discount to be here.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Cheb wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:27 pm

We can print 67 million dollars by restructuring Chris Godwin, Vita Vea, Carlton Davis, Tristan Wirfs, and Jamel Dean. Add that to the $43 million in cap space we have currently and the Bucs would shoot up to $110 million in cap space, good for most in the league by $21 million.

It CAN be done. WILL it be done is another matter.
Should it be done is the bigger matter. That's overkill to the fullest. You're not "restructuring" Chris Godwin, Carlton Davis or Tristin Wirfs. You're extending them as they only have 1 year left on their deals. And of those 3 there's only 1 I'd say should be extended without question.

The Bucs have gone from 1 extreme to another in a relatively short time period. We use to never even give out signing bonuses, let alone voidable contracts. Now we've been the poster children for voidable deals over the past 3 years or so. Had the largest dead cap total in league history. Next year is already looking bad with Godwin & Shaq account for $30mil+ in dead money despite not being under contract.

Licht needs to reign it in. This pandora's box he's opened up will turn sour sooner than later if he doesn't get it under control. Not do away with voidable years all together. But be a lot less aggressive.
Most dead cap in history? Falcons and Lions both had more deadcap than us just the year prior. Do you just make stuff up?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Per Joe, he heard that Evans is looking for Davante Adams money so $28/year. Also, the Texans are not pursuing Evans. The contract talks are close, but Evans wants to experience free agency (ala Gronk)
Joe heard Evans is looking for an annual figure north of $25 million, but not too far north. The max on the range Joe heard Evans desired would make him the second-highest-paid receiver in the NFL, tied with Davante Adams.
https://www.joebucsfan.com/2024/02/what ... ike-evans/
Backside

Post by Backside »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:49 pm Per Joe, he heard that Evans is looking for Davante Adams money so $28/year. Also, the Texans are not pursuing Evans. The contract talks are close, but Evans wants to experience free agency (ala Gronk)
Joe heard Evans is looking for an annual figure north of $25 million, but not too far north. The max on the range Joe heard Evans desired would make him the second-highest-paid receiver in the NFL, tied with Davante Adams.
That number should have been done before last weeks deadline. No brainer
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:10 am
kaimaru wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:49 pm Per Joe, he heard that Evans is looking for Davante Adams money so $28/year. Also, the Texans are not pursuing Evans. The contract talks are close, but Evans wants to experience free agency (ala Gronk)

That number should have been done before last weeks deadline. No brainer
It should've been done last year. Probably 2 years ago.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Even Cameron Jordan knows getting my Evans under contract is a no brainer
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:21 pm

Thr Bucs bounced from one extreme to another because they went from trying to get over the hump to trying to cash in their window in one FA signing. He just loaded as much as he could and worried about the debt later. Given that we won one chip and had a real shot at a second, I'd do that deal again.

I'll give him credit for one thing, he's handling the post super bowl debt payoff a lot better than we did in 03 and 04.
Speaking of almost another, how much did AB's melt down hurt our chances?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Speaking of almost another, how much did AB's melt down hurt our chances? Now that I think about it, how different would it have been if we picked a WR or CB instead of Trask in round 2?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:41 pm Even Cameron Jordan knows getting my Evans under contract is a no brainer
What does this even mean?
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:31 pm

Speaking of almost another, how much did AB's melt down hurt our chances? Now that I think about it, how different would it have been if we picked a WR or CB instead of Trask in round 2?

I was kicking and screaming to trade up for Creed Humphrey. In hindsight, we wouldn't have had to trade up far. I wanted a center to learn under Brady who would then be in place for the next guy.

I don't know if there were any real talents at WR or CB for us to take, I just knew Trask was not a good pick. We were all in for rings, that wasn't the time to hedge your bets.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:23 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:41 pm Even Cameron Jordan knows getting my Evans under contract is a no brainer
I'm not sure, but perhaps Cameron Jordan said something about it being smart to resign Mike Evans?

I mean, that's not a bold stance to take. Mike Evans is probably the best offensive player in our division and a cornerstone player for our franchise. That would be like me saying that the Panthers should resign Brian Burns because he's the best player on their defense/team. Not exactly a big stretch.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:54 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:23 pm

I'm not sure, but perhaps Cameron Jordan said something about it being smart to resign Mike Evans?

I mean, that's not a bold stance to take. Mike Evans is probably the best offensive player in our division and a cornerstone player for our franchise. That would be like me saying that the Panthers should resign Brian Burns because he's the best player on their defense/team. Not exactly a big stretch.
For context, Jordan was on the combine commentary and they were speaking about the Bucs. Daniel Jeremiah states that Jason Licht has questions regarding the roster, the biggest being Mike Evans. Jordan responded, almost like he was offended, that it shouldn't even be a question as to whether Mike Evans is on your team if you're the Bucs. It's a no brainer that you keep him and that the Bucs basically shouldn't have let him come close to leaving.

He's right. It's ridiculous that he's gotten this far without an extension. Look at his peers around the league in what I'd consider the same tier. Cooper Kupp, Davante Adams, AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill. These guys didn't come close to sniffing free agency. 2 of them were traded and their original teams got substantial value in return.

Yet on this board you have people who actually are considering that it might be in our best interests to let him walk because he's now 30. It's ridiculous.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Dude, absolutely ZERO people suggested it’s in the Bucs’ best interests to let him walk. Why do you insist on just making shit up?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:10 am Dude, absolutely ZERO people suggested it’s in the Bucs’ best interests to let him walk. Why do you insist on just making shit up?
A hit dog will holler
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Evans announced he is going to test free agency. Says he wants to explore all options. Guys, let's face it..... HE GONE
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:19 pm Evans announced he is going to test free agency. Says he wants to explore all options. Guys, let's face it..... HE GONE
Damn
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

2025 5th round comp pick incoming!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:19 pm Evans announced he is going to test free agency. Says he wants to explore all options. Guys, let's face it..... HE GONE
Yep.

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This tells me the Bucs are lowballing the hell out of him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It is possible but I only see Baltimore as the main threat to sign him away from us.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He said that weeks ago, why do you think that like CD3 and Gronk and LVD who we let test the market not leave?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:28 pm This tells me the Bucs are lowballing the hell out of him.
I would hope not but it's possible.

From Mike's perspective, why wouldn't he test free agency at this point? It starts in less than 2 weeks, legal tampering even sooner. No matter what we offer him, he has that as a fallback offer in hand. See what other folks offer and how much. More importantly, for how long.

Even if he's done in Tampa, love that guy to death and I wish him the best. Best offensive Buc in history by far.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 pm It is possible but I only see Baltimore as the main threat to sign him away from us.
Houston would be more of a threat than Baltimore
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How many years will it be before Mahomes loses his big money?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Over how I feel about things I want Mike to do what he thinks he should do and if he leaves I will have peak interest on how well he does.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:12 am
Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 pm It is possible but I only see Baltimore as the main threat to sign him away from us.
I doubt it. Houston doesn't want him. They're all set with wide receivers.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The only team I know of that won't be able to sign Evans is the NO Saints. They kicked the can so far down the road that they found out the road is a dead end. They have a lot of dead money.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Surprised Dallas hasn’t been mentioned.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:44 am

The only team I know of that won't be able to sign Evans is the NO Saints. They kicked the can so far down the road that they found out the road is a dead end. They have a lot of dead money.
New Orleans has $2.8mil in dead money. That's the 4th least amount. They don't have any cap space currently though. $15mil+ over the cap limit. All things considered it's not terrible. Buffalo is in a deep hole with at $41mil over the cap.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

If Mike does end up someplace else, I hope it's with a team such as KC which will likely be available to watch him play on a weekly basis.