Anyone feeling positive about next week

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

Re: Anyone feeling positive about next week

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:44 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:41 pm

Sorry to tell you but you do not define what threads are bullshit and which ones are not. You could decide to be less of an asshole though. You might want to make that your new year's resolution.
You're just upset I called out your bullshit, kiddo.
No, I am upset because you repeatedly make a mess of threads. You repeatedly put forth false narratives. You are a fucking worthless message board troll.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

In all honesty, was it truly a bad game by Baker today?

The first int was clearly on him, but it was a throw with high degree of difficulty.

His funk throughout the game was Canales calling a horrible run heavy game, not allowing his QB get into rhythm until almost 4th qtr.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

It is not as if the Bucs played well against Carolina last game. Baker was not good. Bryce Young was even worse though. The Bucs punted 8 times. So did the Panthers. They have won 2 games this year both at home. They will want to win this game just like the Bucs. I feel like it is a coin flip and would not be at all surprised if the Bucs lose.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Jonny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:39 pm In all honesty, was it truly a bad game by Baker today?

The first int was clearly on him, but it was a throw with high degree of difficulty.

His funk throughout the game was Canales calling a horrible run heavy game, not allowing his QB get into rhythm until almost 4th qtr.
The Baker fans are the new Winston people. Blame everyone else for his poor play. Gets a lot of yards in a losing effort with multiple TO's.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Will Baker Mayfield be able to play next week despite having broken ribs?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:10 pm Will Baker Mayfield be able to play next week despite having broken ribs?
Hopefully not
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Onthebrink wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:52 pm It is not as if the Bucs played well against Carolina last game. Baker was not good. Bryce Young was even worse though. The Bucs punted 8 times. So did the Panthers. They have won 2 games this year both at home. They will want to win this game just like the Bucs. I feel like it is a coin flip and would not be at all surprised if the Bucs lose.
Exactly, that’s why I don’t buy the argument “The Panthers have no chance next week.”

The 1976 Bucs would have a fighting chance against the 2023 Bucs. Yesterday’s FSU team may have a cha….

Okay I went too far.
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:12 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:10 pm Will Baker Mayfield be able to play next week despite having broken ribs?
Hopefully not
Oh good Lord if Trask leads us to the playoffs.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Source on the broken ribs?
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Kress wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:16 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:12 pm

Hopefully not
Oh good Lord if Trask leads us to the playoffs.
Trask leading the Bucs into the playoffs would be some posters worse nightmare.
That said I just read a report that x-rays on Baker's ribs were negative. No fractures, no broken ribs.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Onthebrink wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm
Jonny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:39 pm In all honesty, was it truly a bad game by Baker today?

The Baker fans are the new Winston people. Blame everyone else for his poor play. Gets a lot of yards in a losing effort with multiple TO's.
Cute try. I'm the token anti-Baker guy on these forums, that started a thread to bench him and start Trask. You seem incapable of being objective.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 pm
Onthebrink wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm

Cute try. I'm the token anti-Baker guy on these forums, that started a thread to bench him and start Trask. You seem incapable of being objective.
He just proved that with his take that the Panthers game will be a toss up.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Most lines I’m seeing have Bucs as 5.5 to 6 point favorites.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Eagles were favored by 11.5 points over Arizona, but they lost.
Kress

Post by Kress »

The Bulldogs were favored by a little bit and they won by a lotta bit.

So there's that.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

If Trask has to come in..idk, that is a high pressure situation after not playing for a while. Probably go in with a safe game plan and win in OT
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

X-rays negative for Baker per Pewter Report
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:02 am
Jonny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 pm

He just proved that with his take that the Panthers game will be a toss up.
I'm afraid that might be the case as well. We may play down to the Panthers level because of coaching malpractice. Here is my case for it:

1)I feel like our coaching staff has a general misunderstanding of our roster. On offense we are suited to be pass first. Two star WRs, better pass blocking O-line than run, a QB who isn't suited to be a game manager but rather a gun slinger, a RB who is a explosive runner in space than between the tackles and might be one of the best at pass protection and pass catching at his position. Yet there are many games where the script on offense is run heavy at the most inopportune times, when evidence was already established by then that it hasn't been working.

2) On defense @Nobody has mentioned multiple times how Bowles defensive plan on 3rd downs particularly makes little sense. We have CBs drafted to be good at press-man particularly on occasions when Bowles is sending the house against the QB. But we keep letting them give 10 yd cushions, minimizing the impact of pass rush.

We play like this, doesn't matter how talented our roster is, the results will continue to be below average. That is how the Panthers game could be a toss up.

I still believe we will win against the Panthers no matter what our coaches do because of how much more talented we are than the Panthers. I believe our roster is as good as any NFC team except the 9ers. But my faith in Bowles and Canales is at a zero for the playoffs. Our boys deserve better than this.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

That’s spot on.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Our passing game has been on fire and their best corner is out. The game plan is smash mouth with Rachaad White? So dumb.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I am. Won’t put too much stock in that disaster yesterday. Could be a blessing in disguise as we always shit the bed whenever we rest players or have a bye of some sort. Gotta mini playoff game to get us ready.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 am I am. Won’t put too much stock in that disaster yesterday. Could be a blessing in disguise as we always shit the bed whenever we rest players or have a bye of some sort. Gotta mini playoff game to get us ready.
And if we can’t beat the literal worst team in the league, BY FAR, that gives us all the info we need to know about Bowles AND Baker
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The case for the Panthers beating the Bucs is simple. Yesterday, the Bucs beat themselves, and badly. Four turnovers, puzzling game plans, lost in the trenches and lost on third down. If a team shoots themselves in the foot that badly, often all the other team needs to do is not fuck up and they can walk away with a win.

And let's not forget, we barely beat this same Panthers team by just 3 points at home less than a month ago. To say this final regular season game is a foregone conclusion willfully ignores the recent past, both in the fact that we barely beat them in our last matchup, and the fact that the offense looked like hot garbage yesterday until the 11th hour.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:51 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:46 pm

So, you are feeling confident about next week. Like you were about this week, heh?
I was also confident last week as well. And the weeks before. Some you win, some you lose.

Again, make a case for Carolina winning that doesnt have anything to do with the Bucs and I'll entertain it.
That's just silly. If Carolina wins any game, the other team played a part in their win. Next week would be no different. Whether it's an "any given Sunday" type win or the Bucs just shitting the bed like they did yesterday. So, regardless of how Carolina might win next week, the Bucs will have to have played a part in that win.
Last edited by Buc2 on Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:46 pm The case for the Panthers beating the Bucs is simple. Yesterday, the Bucs beat themselves, and badly. Four turnovers, puzzling game plans, lost in the trenches and lost on third down. If a team shoots themselves in the foot that badly, often all the other team needs to do is not fuck up and they can walk away with a win.

And let's not forget, we barely beat this same Panthers team by just 3 points at home less than a month ago. To say this final regular season game is a foregone conclusion willfully ignores the recent past, both in the fact that we barely beat them in our last matchup, and the fact that the offense looked like hot garbage yesterday until the 11th hour.
They also have nothing to lose and we looked very tense yesterday in a game that mattered bigly. Now this one with the season on the line? I’m not confident.

Texting my bookie now. Carolina +6 feels like stealing after what I witnessed yesterday.
Last edited by Grahamburn on Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Totally. Pretending that wild horse of an “F game” yesterday can just be bridled and stabled on command is some serious magical thinking.

I have no idea how anyone can trust a team that put out this year’s resume. Having that bad of a process and product and that good of a process and product arbitrarily show up?

Break open a fortune cookie. Consult the oracle. Flip a coin.

You have as much luck predicting this Bucs team’s process and output. Josh Allen is as reliably predictable a postseason QB as the ‘23 Bucs are a football team. We didn’t “turn a corner” the last month. We spasmed violently to the mean.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I am feeling lightly positive about this game because the Panthers can no longer prevent Chicago from having the first pick, because even the owner is irate about their team right now, because a season of complete suckage without even the tankathon thinking of a savior can have its own anchor factor. There's a lot of reasons for the Panthers to just mail in this game, unless the Bucs put on a suck-a-thon again.

I blame the Big Heads a lot for yesterday's suckage, this team sucks the most when the praise is loudest, and no one, no one, will be saying nice things about the Bucs this week. And we'll let next week take care of itself.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Even if the Bucs win next week, this certainly isn't how I was hoping the season was going to end. What we all needed was another dominant win yesterday. Then everyone could have gone into the postseason with at least a little confidence. Now I have zero confidence the Bucs can make a peep in the playoffs even if they do get in.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

*cracks knuckles*

So I was in a fantasy football final yesterday vs Lamar so I had my attention stretched over a lot of games (I won fyi). So I went back to watch it today already knowing it didn't go well and I got to say... it wasn't as bad as I thought. We got out physicalled, particularly Stinnie, a lot Stinnie. I think he landed on his ass in the opening drive and just stayed there. We eventually stepped up but it was too late by then.

Opening drive we do a very typical long "ben but don't break" opener. It would look like early down tackling is muddy as players try to go for peanut punches and strips and 1st and 2nd downs, and then clamp down on 3rd to get off the field. Until the opponent is inside the 25, then it's all clamp down. Well go figure you got to break sometime and we did here and actually give up the TD. Sucks, but it happens, move on.
3 and out really sucks. Sucks to sputter early. But defense returns the favor and we get the ball back. We're driving down and have the ball on their 33rd when the quarter ends. Okay, not a great quarter, but it wasn't awful.

We've been wanting Baker to be less cautious on the trigger, well bad things will happen from time to time. This INT was one of them. Sucks extra because we were in FG range. I appreciate the guts, but this was Baker L. He owned it. Shrugs it off we move on. Defense forces the punt so we get it back but keep getting pushed around. This is where things go sour but it's also why you shouldn't be too worried...

Camarda shanks the punt.

In fact, with the exception of the opening drive, all their points came off of awful Camarda punts or turnovers. When their offense was pinned back any decent amount our defense did what it does just fine. This has allowed ST and defense to support the offense during times when they are sputtering and trying to find their footing. Which has, understandably, been quite a few times. But not today. In fact today they would be a weak point.

We see a mixed bag of broken plays by us not being on the same page, but at the same time us also hitting on huge plays when we are on the same page. Overall it looks like the bag of tricks is working when we can get the damn gun to shoot at all. Honestly even the run game was running over people when they got it going. But again, more blunders. The White and Palmer fumbles are the types of things you don't come back from.

With that said, we almost did. And that's what I love about this game. We were getting NO BREAK this game and everything that could go wrong seem to do so. Yet there was no quit in this team. Hell even when Palmer fumbles what would've been long TD, the defense when back out there with FULL hustle to get the ball back. We were damn close to having it be a one posession game with a shot an an on-side, which I know doesn't seem like a whole lot, but not letting the game get away and fighting until the end actually DOES say a lot. I think Wirfs said it well, it wasn't complancency, but the step before it. At the very least a lack of urgency.

Well, we got out kick in the pants. Time to put it behind us and take care of business next week and beyond.

TLDR: We caught a lot of bad breaks. As long as we get back to punting well and keeping the turnovers down we'll be back to form.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Under throwing a TD and getting picked off isn’t a bad break. Not being able to get off the field on 3rd down because you’re blitzing and playing off coverage behind it isn’t a bad break. Having an offensive game plan that emphasizes our weaknesses isn’t a bad break. And not adjusting when that game plan after it doesn’t work isn’t a bad break.

We sucked. Everywhere. In the biggest game of the year you don’t show up? That’s embarrassing.

They looked tense. Baker played tense until it was out of reach. They’re struggling with success. That’s lack of coaching and poor leadership. It is also Baker’s career MO. I thought maybe he was out of it because I expected this against Jacksonville, but honestly that game didn’t really matter. It just came the next week because this one did. Disaster.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The season is on the line. Lets see what Baker Mayfield and the Bucs respond to the humiliating loss against the Saints. Do the fans want to see the Bucs win and get into the playoffs and get killed by Dallas in the first round? Or do they want to just get this season behind us?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 pm The season is on the line. Lets see what Baker Mayfield and the Bucs respond to the humiliating loss against the Saints. Do the fans want to see the Bucs win and get into the playoffs and get killed by Dallas in the first round? Or do they want to just get this season behind us?
The team that beat GB and Jax can compete with anyone.

That team yesterday? If that one shows up next week leave the entire plane in Charlotte.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 pm The season is on the line. Lets see what Baker Mayfield and the Bucs respond to the humiliating loss against the Saints. Do the fans want to see the Bucs win and get into the playoffs and get killed by Dallas in the first round? Or do they want to just get this season behind us?
Idk why anyone would want to lose just for the season to be over with faster. If you want it to end so bad just do something else with your Sundays.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:22 am
real bucs fan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 am I am. Won’t put too much stock in that disaster yesterday. Could be a blessing in disguise as we always shit the bed whenever we rest players or have a bye of some sort. Gotta mini playoff game to get us ready.
And if we can’t beat the literal worst team in the league, BY FAR, that gives us all the info we need to know about Bowles AND Baker
I’ll agree to that.
GoldenBudda

Post by GoldenBudda »

Just when I think I know who this team is, they prove they're not who I thought they were.

Carolina sucks. They can't beat anyone. However, let's not underestimate this team's ability to straight out lose a game.

If this team plays the way it played last Sunday, we have no chance at winning even against the NFL's worst team.

As to the thread's question, how could any Bucs fan be feeling positive after what we just witnessed?