2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Deja Entendu

Re: 2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

Post by Deja Entendu »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:37 pm The idea of a coach coming in and just getting rid of the QB is one that doesn’t happen as much in reality as people thinks it does. Obviously when the team stinks and has a bad QB you see a change, but coaches don’t take over and get rid of good QBs for “their own guy.” The only time I can remember something like that happening was Josh McDaniels trying to dump Jay Cutler for Matt Cassell and it ended up being a terrible decision and made McDaniels a laughing stock.

You just don’t trade 25 year old QBs of Herbert’s caliber unless they are disgruntled and demand the trade.
I think in the case of Herbert you’re right, but typically teams with the QB solved don’t have new HCs.

If there is a younger QB with potential/or a high draft pick, more often than not, upper-management is looking to bring in a coach who can help them, so sure the new coach says they can develop them and gives the new QB a year or so… but inevitably they’re replaced.

McDaniels did it with Cutler (he gets skewered for it, but he was right for not thinking he could with with Cutler. He did it again with Carr.

Payton with Wilson. He also replaced Brooks with Brees.

Vrabel brought Tannehill over to replace Mariota.

Reich brought Wentz to Indy.

McVay went and got Stafford.

The j.o. in AZ (blanking on his name) who brought Warner over… Wisenhunt.

I was going to cite more, but honestly I think the list of new HCs who ride with the incumbent QB past a transition year is smaller than the alternative.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:06 pm Does Freeman unretire and go to the Falcons?
He isnt youngry enough, hes middleagry
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:28 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:48 pm

Its a major concern. The number do not lie. His worst quarter statistically is the 4th, where his peers get better as the game goes along. Too often his team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. And usually guys with his talent level elevate those around him. But all you hear about Herbert is how he doesn't have enough.

Let's see: Keenan Allen is definitely a top 10 veteran WR. Mike Williams AND Quentin Johnson are 1st round draft picks. Austin Eckler is a very good RB. Despite this most mocks have them taking ANOTHER WR in the 1st.

How much talent does a "top 5" QB need to succeed?
Keenan Allen a top 10 WR? Why are you smoking?
Williams is always hurt and QJ was a rookie. You can hate on Herbert without having to stretch the truth my guy.
Keenan Allen is essentially Mike Evans in a blue jersey.

I really like Herbert, do i put all the blame on Herbert for their losing? Absolutely not but it seems when the lights are the brightest, he disappears. Could be a number of factors but it is troubling nonetheless.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

These comments say it all. Falcons fans want McKay’s head. Can’t believe they chose Raheem over Belichick. Loving it. Falcons will keep sucking.

uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Obsolete wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:41 pm
acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:28 pm

Keenan Allen a top 10 WR? Why are you smoking?
Williams is always hurt and QJ was a rookie. You can hate on Herbert without having to stretch the truth my guy.
Keenan Allen is essentially Mike Evans in a blue jersey.

I really like Herbert, do i put all the blame on Herbert for their losing? Absolutely not but it seems when the lights are the brightest, he disappears. Could be a number of factors but it is troubling nonetheless.
He has had maybe the worst coach in the NFL. Staley was terrible at the end of games.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:59 pm These comments say it all. Falcons fans want McKay’s head. Can’t believe they chose Raheem over Belichick. Loving it. Falcons will keep sucking.

I am on record as saying Raheem deserves another shot.....but Raheem over Bill?

I wonder why teams are passing on Bill. Is it his age, his last 2 years in New England or is he demanding more power than teams want to give him. I mean, I'd love to have Bill the coach but I think I'd balk at it being a package deal with Bill the GM.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Terry Tate wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:13 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:59 pm These comments say it all. Falcons fans want McKay’s head. Can’t believe they chose Raheem over Belichick. Loving it. Falcons will keep sucking.

I wonder why teams are passing on Bill. Is it his age, his last 2 years in New England or is he demanding more power than teams want to give him. I mean, I'd love to have Bill the coach but I think I'd balk at it being a package deal with Bill the GM.
All of the above, I wager.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:53 pm I believe the reason for this could be either his age or Rich McKay. Take your pick.
Bingo!
Sources say Bill Belichick was asking for too much power and decision-making in the Falcons organization, "much like he had in New England", with his ability to coexist with CEO Rick McKay into question.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Well, with Canales gone how are people feeling about keeping Bowles?
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:14 am Well, with Canales gone how are people feeling about keeping Bowles?
Does it matter? He'll be here next year.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:14 am Well, with Canales gone how are people feeling about keeping Bowles?
Feeling pretty good with keeping a HC that's won 2 division titles with 2 different OCs. Now let's make it 3 for 3.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Greg put into perspective just how fluid the NFL is in regards to hiring.

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:19 am
Does it matter? He'll be here next year.
I am not sure how I feel. That is why I asked the question without expressing an opinion.

On one hand, Bowles obviously picked a guy that was good and it had a positive impact on the team. On the other hand, we lost that guy and Bowles will no longer had that guy around. Can he hire another winner? Looking for thoughts from others.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:36 pm

I mentioned you because you've been clear that you don't think he's on the Mahomes level like some, but he's still very good. He just finds ways to lose at times and it's a concern for you.
Its a major concern. The number do not lie. His worst quarter statistically is the 4th, where his peers get better as the game goes along. Too often his team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. And usually guys with his talent level elevate those around him. But all you hear about Herbert is how he doesn't have enough.

Let's see: Keenan Allen is definitely a top 10 veteran WR. Mike Williams AND Quentin Johnson are 1st round draft picks. Austin Eckler is a very good RB. Despite this most mocks have them taking ANOTHER WR in the 1st.

Herbert’s 4th Q rating this season: 101.2
Mahomes 4th Q rating this season: 71.7
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Pirate Life wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 am

Since 2020 no QB has thrown more 4th Q interceptions than Herbert. This year was his best in the 4th quarter.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I think the same reason everyone was passing on Harbaugh---CONTROL. The Falcons situation went the exact opposite way our coaching search went for Gruden. McKay went after the coordinators like Marvin Lewis, but in the Bucs case, the Glazers overrode McKay and took over the search. In the Falcons case, I think Blank wanted Belichick but knew he was going to lose a lot of of his FO, including McKay, if he brought Bill in because Bill would have wanted "his guys." Eventually, McKay got the boot here and Gruden brought in Bruce Allen and got his way. But in Atlanta's situation, Blank gave preference to McKay.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am
Pirate Life wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 am

Since 2020 no QB has thrown more 4th Q interceptions than Herbert. This year was his best in the 4th quarter.
I'm aware of that, since then no QB has more game winning drives or fourth quarter comebacks than Herbert either. Jackson has more 4th quarter turnovers (once fumbles are included) in one score games since 2020 than any other QB and he's going to win his second MVP, but you rarely hear it held against him like you do with Herbert.

Herbert also plays behind a considerably worse o-line than most of the QBs he is compared against other than Burrow with Slater being the only above average lineman he's played with consistently, only other one would be Linsley but he has missed multiple games and may never play again after the heart issue that was found early this season. He's also been saddled with one of the worst defenses (albeit possibly the one with the most individual talent). That defense has given up a lot of game winning drives late in the fourth quarter since Herbert's gotten there and is responsible for why he has so many opportunities to get 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives compared to say Hurts or Burrow. DVOA-wise, their highest ranking in Herbert's career was 20th - with Gus Bradley as the DC. Since then, 26th, 21st, and 26th.

Is he an all-time great? Not likely. Is he terrible or responsible for the Charger's woes the last few years? Not as much as some want to imply. Definitely will have the best coaching situation in his professional career next year however.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GW drives and 4th quarter comebacks aren't the badge of honor you might think. That just means you're down a lot and have to generate comebacks. Players like Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes arent gonna have a ton of those because they get out to leads early and games and make sure they hold them. Lamar had 0 GW drives this year and just 1 4th quarter comeback and his team won more games than every other team in football.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:02 pm GW drives and 4th quarter comebacks aren't the badge of honor you might think. That just means you're down a lot and have to generate comebacks. Players like Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes arent gonna have a ton of those because they get out to leads early and games and make sure they hold them. Lamar had 0 GW drives this year and just 1 4th quarter comeback and his team won more games than every other team in football.
I would think that it is the defense that holds leads. Could just be me though.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:04 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:02 pm GW drives and 4th quarter comebacks aren't the badge of honor you might think. That just means you're down a lot and have to generate comebacks. Players like Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes arent gonna have a ton of those because they get out to leads early and games and make sure they hold them. Lamar had 0 GW drives this year and just 1 4th quarter comeback and his team won more games than every other team in football.
That's part of it. But you'd be discounting the offense scoring points late in order to increase their lead.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:07 pm
13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:04 pm

That's part of it. But you'd be discounting the offense scoring points late in order to increase their lead.
Yeah... but the offense is, in your own words, increasing the lead. Right? :D
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Didn't say they were a badge of honor, just another datapoint in the equation. Lot of the reasons for being behind isn't on Herbert. Since he's been the QB Chargers defense has ranked 23rd, 29th, 21st and 24th in points allowed, Jackson's been on a team with a far, far better defense than Herbert's had. Since Herbert was drafted, Chargers have scored 51 tds in the 4th quarter. Defense has given up 53 TDs in the 4th quarter and over his career they've given up the winning points in the last two minutes/last play of the game 13 times after Herbert had gotten the team the lead, most in the league. Staley's coaching decisions have factored into that also, with his penchant for going for it on 4th downs when he shouldn't and not doing it when he should.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:51 am

I think the same reason everyone was passing on Harbaugh---CONTROL. The Falcons situation went the exact opposite way our coaching search went for Gruden. McKay went after the coordinators like Marvin Lewis, but in the Bucs case, the Glazers overrode McKay and took over the search. In the Falcons case, I think Blank wanted Belichick but knew he was going to lose a lot of of his FO, including McKay, if he brought Bill in because Bill would have wanted "his guys." Eventually, McKay got the boot here and Gruden brought in Bruce Allen and got his way. But in Atlanta's situation, Blank gave preference to McKay.
Actually it is Terry Fontenot on the football side. McKay is on the admin side. The premise is the same. BB wanted to be a direct to Blank. Both Fontenot (football) and McKay (essentially all of the other stuff) currently report to Blank. Blank didn't want to change that.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Four Verticals wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:50 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:51 am

Actually it is Terry Fontenot on the football side. McKay is on the admin side. The premise is the same. BB wanted to be a direct to Blank. Both Fontenot (football) and McKay (essentially all of the other stuff) currently report to Blank. Blank didn't want to change that.
Blank and McKay are close friends. Blank had to choose between the two because of the control BB wanted.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It looks like Ben Johnson will be the new head coach of the Washington Commanders. The story may break after the Lions/49ers game
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Eric Bieniemy to Tampa loading...
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 am It looks like Ben Johnson will be the new head coach of the Washington Commanders. The story may break after the Lions/49ers game
If rumors are to be believed that would leave not only Belichick but also Vrabel without a job. Since it seems likely that Dan Quinn is the guy for Seattle.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Terry Tate wrote: "I wonder why teams are passing on Bill. Is it his age, his last 2 years in New England or is he demanding more power than teams want to give him. I mean, I'd love to have Bill the coach but I think I'd balk at it being a package deal with Bill the GM."

How good of a HC was BB after Brady left for Tampa? How good was BB at selecting players in the draft over the past 4 years? Has the game passed BB by? All valid questions that any team owner would have to consider before hiring BB, especially when BB wants to be both HC and de facto GM.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:10 pm
Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 am It looks like Ben Johnson will be the new head coach of the Washington Commanders. The story may break after the Lions/49ers game
If rumors are to be believed that would leave not only Belichick but also Vrabel without a job. Since it seems likely that Dan Quinn is the guy for Seattle.
And Pete Carroll who I think is still a hell of a coach in this league with a great track record.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:10 pm

And Pete Carroll who I think is still a hell of a coach in this league with a great track record.
Carroll is staying on as executive VP & an advisor in Seattle.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Strongly disagree. Round 2 hits different for defensive coches. He got a great OC. They draft LSU QB at 8.... the Falcons are back.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:45 pm

Strongly disagree. Round 2 hits different for defensive coches. He got a great OC. They draft LSU QB at 8.... the Falcons are back.
Haha Falcons are definitely not back. But hey, I’m happy as hell they hired Raheem over BB. They’re not winning with him.
Bahamian:bucfan

Post by Bahamian:bucfan »

[/quote]

Haha Falcons are definitely not back. But hey, I’m happy as hell they hired Raheem over BB. They’re not winning with him.
[/quote]

I honestly think the Falcons will be great with Raheem as the HC.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

IF they nail QB...

Grab Nabers or Rome at 8. Nix at 40. Uffg.