***2024 NFL Offseason thread ***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: ***2024 NFL Offseason thread ***

Post by Snake »

Between the free agent quarterbacks, and the number of quarterbacks expected to go in the first and second day, teams are going to have options.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I laughed.
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-lege ... fl-combine

"Twenty-four years ago, I ran a 5.28 40-yard dash," Brady said in a video which he posted to X, formerly Twitter. "Maybe, just maybe, we give the 40 one more shot."

Two people clocked Brady's run, with one clocking him at 5.18 seconds. The other clock showed Brady finished his run in 5.12 seconds. "24 years later, redemption is spelled T O M," Brady wrote on X.

Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

“Formerly Twitter” makes me laugh every time.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:12 am @Doctor , the Falcons are in for the Cousins sweepstakes. Several posters from Falcons forums and Reddit discussed that. One of the Vikings beat reporters mentioned that too. They need a quarterback though.
This was reported today also. The article I read said this before reporting what you posted about what Klein said on the Dukes & Bell show on 92.9 The Game.
What is one supposed to believe during the speculation storms during the NFL Combine? Everything should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but there are interesting words coming from people with interesting jobs in Atlanta.
So all of this could just be smoke
Of those other suitors for Mayfield, I can confirm one is the Atlanta Falcons, who I mentioned several weeks ago as a possibility. The Falcons have been linked to Justin Fields, and if a trade is not completed with the Chicago Bears soon after the combine, I expect Mayfield to be at the top of their wish list.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-fr ... -franchise
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:40 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:12 am @Doctor , the Falcons are in for the Cousins sweepstakes. Several posters from Falcons forums and Reddit discussed that. One of the Vikings beat reporters mentioned that too. They need a quarterback though.
This was reported today also. The article I read said this before reporting what you posted about what Klein said on the Dukes & Bell show on 92.9 The Game.
What is one supposed to believe during the speculation storms during the NFL Combine? Everything should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but there are interesting words coming from people with interesting jobs in Atlanta.
So all of this could just be smoke
Of those other suitors for Mayfield, I can confirm one is the Atlanta Falcons, who I mentioned several weeks ago as a possibility. The Falcons have been linked to Justin Fields, and if a trade is not completed with the Chicago Bears soon after the combine, I expect Mayfield to be at the top of their wish list.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-fr ... -franchise
$40 million annually. This is probably why the Bucs are lowballing Mike Evans and want to test free agency. Who knows.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Only 10 more days until the negotiation period begins. If the Bucs don't have Evans signed by then, you can wave goodby to the greatest Buc receiver ever. We will also get to see what type of interest Mayfield gets if he isn't signed by then.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 pm Only 10 more days until the negotiation period begins. If the Bucs don't have Evans signed by then, you can wave goodby to the greatest Buc receiver ever. We will also get to see what type of interest Mayfield gets if he isn't signed by then.
If Evans doesn’t want to be here anymore there isn’t much the Bucs can do about it. If he does he’ll give Licht every opportunity to match any offer sheet he receives.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 am
GreatTimes wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 pm Only 10 more days until the negotiation period begins. If the Bucs don't have Evans signed by then, you can wave goodby to the greatest Buc receiver ever. We will also get to see what type of interest Mayfield gets if he isn't signed by then.
If Evans doesn’t want to be here anymore there isn’t much the Bucs can do about it. If he does he’ll give Licht every opportunity to match any offer sheet he receives.
There is. It's called the franchise tag. Tag him, trade him. Licht dropped the ball here. Evans should've either been extended or traded 1-2 years ago. Now we stand to get nothing. Oh, no my bad, we stand to get a 5th round comp pick next offseason.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:23 am

There is. It's called the franchise tag. Tag him, trade him. Licht dropped the ball here. Evans should've either been extended or traded 1-2 years ago. Now we stand to get nothing. Oh, no my bad, we stand to get a 5th round comp pick next offseason.
Evans didn’t sign an extension 1-2 years ago. What’s Licht supposed to do? Give him a blank check?

And we all know Winfield is getting the tag.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 am

Evans didn’t sign an extension 1-2 years ago. What’s Licht supposed to do? Give him a blank check?

And we all know Winfield is getting the tag.
That's the point where you trade him and keep the train moving. See KC & Tyreek Hill, Green Bay & Davante Adams.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

This is the angle of no matter what the Bucs do/did it gives me the opportunity to whine.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'll add you can carry dead cap for players on your team. See Mike Evans once he re signs.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Four Verticals wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:51 am This is the angle of no matter what the Bucs do/did it gives me the opportunity to whine.
Right? There’s a process. Have some patience.

Licht has done an incredible job keeping the homegrown guys he wants to keep.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Having to pay your home grown talent is a great problem to keep having.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Licht has not done a good job of maximizing value from homegrown players.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:33 am Licht has not done a good job of maximizing value from homegrown players.
Examples?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Perfect is the enemy of good.
Miss me with that nonsense.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Extension or trade. Never free agency if you're smart.

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Licht (and Bowles) are probably unemployed today if they would have traded Mike Evans last off-season.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:01 pm Licht (and Bowles) are probably unemployed today if they would have traded Mike Evans last off-season.
But they won't be if he walks in free agency?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:04 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:01 pm Licht (and Bowles) are probably unemployed today if they would have traded Mike Evans last off-season.
Obviously I don't know that. I think we can agree the 2023 Bucs don't win the division without Mike Evans nor do they likely win enough games to keep those two employed.

But, now they have significant enough cap space to make other moves IF Mike decides to go elsewhere. Had they traded him for draft capital last year they'd have had no real way to add any WR talent with their cap situation. They'd have just been adding ammo for whoever the new GM and HC were.

You can argue they weren't then acting in the best interest of the franchise, however we did win the division AND a playoff game with Mike on the roster, so I'd say they were right to keep him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:04 pm

Obviously I don't know that. I think we can agree the 2023 Bucs don't win the division without Mike Evans nor do they likely win enough games to keep those two employed.

But, now they have significant enough cap space to make other moves IF Mike decides to go elsewhere. Had they traded him for draft capital last year they'd have had no real way to add any WR talent with their cap situation. They'd have just been adding ammo for whoever the new GM and HC were.

You can argue they weren't then acting in the best interest of the franchise, however we did win the division AND a playoff game with Mike on the roster, so I'd say they were right to keep him.
A trade means you're getting compensation in return for said player. Let's say we did trade Evans for the exact package the Packers got from the Raiders for Davante Adams, a 1st & 2nd. You're saying that we wouldn't have the resources to replace Evans with that compensation? If your answer is no, then I take it you don't think the draft is where you can effectively fill holes on your roster.

Additionally with the cap savings from an Evans trade we absolutely could've signed someone OR we could've traded for one since we had more compensation. But because most teams are smart, top WRs don't hit the market ever.

Your premise that Licht would've been fired for trading Evans and getting compensation for him but it's up in the air that he'd be fired for letting him walk for absolutely no compensation defies all logic. This isn't a personal dig, but you don't realize that isnt how business is run in the NFL because you obviously don't follow the league beyond this team. Smart teams get as much value as they can and don't let their top WRs come anywhere near free agency.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:40 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm

A trade means you're getting compensation in return for said player. Let's say we did trade Evans for the exact package the Packers got from the Raiders for Davante Adams, a 1st & 2nd. You're saying that we wouldn't have the resources to replace Evans with that compensation? If your answer is no, then I take it you don't think the draft is where you can effectively fill holes on your roster.

Additionally with the cap savings from an Evans trade we absolutely could've signed someone OR we could've traded for one since we had more compensation. But because most teams are smart, top WRs don't hit the market ever.

Your premise that Licht would've been fired for trading Evans and getting compensation for him but it's up in the air that he'd be fired for letting him walk for absolutely no compensation defies all logic.
Which teams are the smart ones? The ones with Championships less than 5 years ago like the Bucs? Or the Packers who so smartly traded Adams and then promptly missed the playoffs the next year with Aaron Rodgers at QB with the main culprit being the fact that their WRs were terrible. Brilliant stuff.

Sure, you could have replaced him with a WR from the draft, but you're unlikely to get anyone nearly as good as Mike Evans to help your team win games, and it's very rare for a rookie to step right in and have a season like the one Mike had.

Defies all logic? I have the benefit of hindsight for 2023. Them NOT trading Evans absolutely worked for the 2023 season. A season everyone just assumed was a completely lost meaningless season. We do not win the division without Mike Evans. I have no idea what happens in 2024. If Mike walks and the Bucs only win a handful of games there's a good chance Bowles/Licht are gone. For their sakes it was certainly the right move to keep him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:54 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:40 pm

Your premise that Licht would've been fired for trading Evans and getting compensation for him but it's up in the air that he'd be fired for letting him walk for absolutely no compensation defies all logic.
Which teams are the smart ones? The ones with Championships less than 5 years ago like the Bucs? Or the Packers who so smartly traded Adams and then promptly missed the playoffs the next year with Aaron Rodgers at QB with the main culprit being the fact that their WRs were terrible. Brilliant stuff.

Sure, you could have replaced him with a WR from the draft, but you're unlikely to get anyone nearly as good as Mike Evans to help your team win games, and it's very rare for a rookie to step right in and have a season like the one Mike had.

Defies all logic? I have the benefit of hindsight for 2023. Them NOT trading Evans absolutely worked for the 2023 season. A season everyone just assumed was a completely lost meaningless season. We do not win the division without Mike Evans. I have no idea what happens in 2024. If Mike walks and the Bucs only win a handful of games there's a good chance Bowles/Licht are gone. For their sakes it was certainly the right move to keep him.
Yes, Green Bay is a smart one. They missed the playoffs in 2022 but made it in 2023 despite getting rid of Rodgers, Cobb and Allen Lazard and they won a playoff game. What have the Raiders done since then?

The Chiefs are another one. All they’ve done since trading Tyreek Hill is win the Superbowl twice.

The Titans traded AJ Brown and the result of that was just how bad personnel wise that roster was. So Jon Robinson and Mike Vrabel have been fired since then.

So I guess you were saying that Licht trading Evans shine light on just how poorly the overall roster is and he’s keeping it afloat?

There are also teams who had WRs that were coming up on free agency and they wisely extended them. Seattle with DK Metcalf, Washington with Terry McClaurin, LA with Cooper Kupp.

All you’re doing is showing me just how little you know about how the NFL operates. Top WRs don’t hit free agency.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:30 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:54 pm

Yes, Green Bay is a smart one. They missed the playoffs in 2022 but made it in 2023 despite getting rid of Rodgers, Cobb and Allen Lazard and they won a playoff game. What have the Raiders done since then?

The Chiefs are another one. All they’ve done since trading Tyreek Hill is win the Superbowl twice.

The Titans traded AJ Brown and the result of that was just how bad personnel wise that roster was. So Jon Robinson and Mike Vrabel have been fired since then.

So I guess you were saying that Licht trading Evans shine light on just how poorly the overall roster is and he’s keeping it afloat?

There are also teams who had WRs that were coming up on free agency and they wisely extended them. Seattle with DK Metcalf, Washington with Terry McClaurin, LA with Cooper Kupp.

All you’re doing is showing me just how little you know about how the NFL operates. Top WRs don’t hit free agency.
Again with the insults. What do I not know? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are an NFL franchise literally operating this way. Top WRs don't hit free agency? Apparently they do. Especially when they'll be 31 at the beginning of the season. The Chiefs are winning in spite of their WR play not because they were so brilliant to trade Tyreek Hill. The Titans certainly don't seem very smart after trading A.J. Brown. I'm sure the Packers' fans would much rather have had another shot at a Lombardi trophy with Rodgers/Adams than a playoff win. But, they're the smartest guys in the room I guess?

What is the point you're trying to make? That the Bucs are stupid because they didn't trade Mike Evans?

All the players you're mentioning were younger than Evans when they were extended or traded. They also wanted extensions and then forced trades when they didn't get them.

Mike has already signed one extension with the Bucs and restructured that contract 5 times to stay a Buc. He didn't sign an extension, but also didn't request a trade so they obliged him. Play it out and you're a free agent. It worked for both sides. The Bucs got a great year out of him and he gets to test the market.

What that says to me is we must be doing something right because players want to be here with Bowles/Licht.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This idea that your greats must be retired or bartered is gross.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He should’ve been extended already. That much is obvious.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:50 pm He should’ve been extended already. That much is obvious.
I don't see how this is in anyway debatable.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:58 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:50 pm He should’ve been extended already. That much is obvious.
I mean, you guys have been in negotiations before haven’t you?

Does Licht just keep offering more until he says yes? Is that the winning strategy?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:17 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:58 pm

Does Licht just keep offering more until he says yes? Is that the winning strategy?
And if he declines, you trade him, get value and keep the train rolling.

It seriously amazes me that you don’t understand this is how business goes in the NFL but as I’ve stated before it’s obvious you don’t pay attention to the league outside of this team.

If the end result is he walks in FA, you’ve failed as a GM.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Say Mike says, "it's a deal. But I want to go do the circuit. Be back to sign soon."

What you saying?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Then it’s not a deal, and he’s being unserious.

I can’t keep that much cap space reserved for him possibly coming back because his ego needs stroked. While FA is in full swing.
Last edited by Snake on Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:35 pm Say Mike says, "it's a deal. But I want to go do the circuit. Be back to sign soon."

What you saying?
Tagging him, looking for a trade partner.
He can still talk to teams. Now if he wants to go somewhere you get something in return.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

And AWJ?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:31 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:17 pm

And if he declines, you trade him, get value and keep the train rolling.

It seriously amazes me that you don’t understand this is how business goes in the NFL but as I’ve stated before it’s obvious you don’t pay attention to the league outside of this team.

If the end result is he walks in FA, you’ve failed as a GM.
We can agree to disagree.

Isn’t the goal of the GM to win games?

I think it’s more important to get a winning season, 1,200 yards, and 13 TDs out of your under contract stars than it is to get a couple draft picks. Not to mention Evans likely would not have fetched near the packages of those other WRs.