Rapid Reactions: Bucs lose to the Lions 31-23

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: Rapid Reactions: Bucs lose to the Lions 31-23

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:34 pm Also, not for nothing, but what a bad fucking time to miss a kick Chase. Like great season, but damn.
Good thing it quite literally made no difference in the outcome whatsoever…
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:14 pm All these guys really enjoyed playing together and you can tell they all feel they can be even better.

If we bring everyone back for year 2 be prepared for an even more hyped Doctor.
I think give em another off-season and maybe we'll see great things.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Random, but that late TD from Mike was actually the 100th of his career if you combine regular season and postseason. Only Buc to score 100 TDs in meaningful games for the team.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I'm glad we lost the game the way did, if we were going to lose it. Bucs definitely played like one of the best 8 teams in the league. Compared to a team like Philly, Dallas or even Houston, Bucs and Packers will feel like next year could be their year if they stay focused.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I am disappointed with the result today. The team had chances but did not take advantage. Baker did better than I had anticipated, but I do not think he is a long-term answer.

I am going to take a few weeks to think about things, but I think it will be an interesting off-season.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Kona wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:32 pm Overall, we exceeded expectations this year.
One of the main reasons the Bucs exceeded expectations this year is because the Strength of Schedule (SOS) was a lot easier than it was expected to be before the season started. The Bucs SOS was ranked as the 26th hardest. The Bucs finished the regular season 9-8 in the worst division in the NFL. Then they met the Eagles in the WC game. That Eagle team was reeling from injuries and played very poorly the last third of the season. I'm happy that the Bucs made it as far as they did, but that joy is tempered by reality.
Next season I expect the Falcons to be better with the right coaching hire and picking up the right QB. The Saints are always going to be tough. I expect next seasons SOS to end up being much better than this seasons.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

acmillis wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:32 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:34 pm Also, not for nothing, but what a bad fucking time to miss a kick Chase. Like great season, but damn.
Why wouldn't it have? Every single play makes a difference. The mentalities of the players change. Any change in anything can lead to a different outcome. This weird belief that EVERY SINGLE PLAY would have remained the same is not reality. The Bucs might have lost by more or they might have won.

Guy survives cancer and dies at 72. Well at least the cancer LITERALLY MADE NO DIFFERENCE IN HIS OUTCOME.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Onthebrink wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:47 pm

Why wouldn't it have? Every single play makes a difference. The mentalities of the players change. Any change in anything can lead to a different outcome. This weird belief that EVERY SINGLE PLAY would have remained the same is not reality. The Bucs might have lost by more or they might have won.

Guy survives cancer and dies at 72. Well at least the cancer LITERALLY MADE NO DIFFERENCE IN HIS OUTCOME.
And if I was a foot shorter and 100 pounds lighter, I could jockey sea biscuit to the triple crown
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:59 pm I am disappointed with the result today. The team had chances but did not take advantage. Baker did better than I had anticipated, but I do not think he is a long-term answer.

I am going to take a few weeks to think about things, but I think it will be an interesting off-season.
I'm probably being knee jerk myself based on some great throws by Baker that came at much needed times to keep us competitive. Those sacks from unblocked pass rushers are a real head scratcher and directly contributed to at least two promising drives being killed. It's disappointing it happened in an elimination game, but I don't know if I am as interested in putting it all on that, as if we were destined for bigger things.

I think many teams that lose during playoffs rarely have a clean game where the outcome is solely because of the other team being purely more talented. Despite the mistakes from Baker and offense and defense, we were in it almost until the end and I feel pretty happy about it.

Maybe my issue is low expectations, but I'm content with the outcome with the coaches and players including Mayfield.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

I love how the " i told you so" fans have come out
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

bucarican wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:35 pm I love how the " i told you so" fans have come out
I love how people who are upset people have opinions come out.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm
bucarican wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:35 pm I love how the " i told you so" fans have come out
not the damn point CJGJ.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

bucarican wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:53 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm

not the damn point CJGJ.
Might not have been your point, but I made mine pretty clear.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:13 pm
bucarican wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:53 pm

not the damn point CJGJ.
have fun with it because it still took an L
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I am thrilled.

No one, not fucking anyone with a voice gave us a chance.

And we came damn close to the NFCCG.

Tip of the cap to Detroit, but as the great Mr. Derrick Brooks said:

We'll be back.
Ken

Post by Ken »

A couple critical things cost us the game:

- We did not recognize them bringing unexpected edge pressure a few times and it killed a couple of drives that could have resulted in points. Plus one where Godecke blocked down and turned Hutchinson loose.
- We never found an answer for that route combination they killed us with the whole second half. They sent a crosser in front of Lavonte who shaded that way and then brought one behind him into the wide open middle. We needed to counter that with Winfield driving hard into that lane. I bet we get a pick on that at some point, and worst case they score over the top. But they scored 3 straight TDs anyway.
- Missed FG. Chase has been money, but that one hurt.
- Giving up that very long 3rd down conversion after Kancey's second sack. That's when we went down 14.

And definitely plenty more. But just maybe... this year's Bucs is a lot like last year's Lions. A team that had a lot of things going in the right direction, but couldn't overcome their own crucial errors. And this year, those Lions didn't make many if any errors.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:33 pm
Buc2 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:27 pm People blaming Baker for this loss are idiots. Lots of bad play out there wasn’t Baker’s fault. He can’t pass block. He can’t catch is own passes. He can’t play defense. Dude threw for 3 TD’s. Kept us in the game despite all the failures happening around him. No QB is Superman. He can’t win by himself. He did what good QB’s do. Kept us in the game. But somebody need to make a fucking play.
Agree. I think the convo has to be whether we can do better moving forward. Baker prolly showed his best this year of what he ever will be. Do we trust that going forward or do we take a chance and go after a guy we think can be better? It’s a tough call for Licht.
You do realize his best was with a rookie signal caller who called many crappy strings of plays and an iOL that sucked. If you think that's his best, you're being disingenuous
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

TonyLip wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:36 pm Great season when there wasn’t supposed to be one.
Baker came in and LED this team to Division and Playoff wins.
Baker has the moxie, even though I can’t figure why Cotton seems to be his primary, but go ahead and get another QB here to compete and see how that SHIT goes. Trask is fodder.
We’ll lose Evans and likely AWJ contract can’t be matched.
I still look forward to the Draft and next season.

Let’s go Bucs!!!
You really think AWJ won't be tagged. No team ever contested the non-exclusive tag. Why? Collusion. But still we will tag him
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

IronDog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:43 pm BTW, I am sure it has been written about, but why was 45 not in this game until the final moments of this, well, calling it a game is too hard to stretch.
We were never down more than a score until the fourth and it ended as a one score game and it was never an actual game? This is the first time I want to call BS on you of all people
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:27 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:22 pm

Why wouldn't we be able to afford them both?
This isn’t baseball or the NBA. We can’t just throw billions of dollars at athletes and expect them to stay. There’s a salary cap and it’s also a two-way street. Evans has to want to come back and I’m not sure he does.
He had one of his best statistical seasons of his career. Getting in the HoF should be important to him. He has that with Mayfield
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:15 pm
Kona wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:32 pm Overall, we exceeded expectations this year.
One of the main reasons the Bucs exceeded expectations this year is because the Strength of Schedule (SOS) was a lot easier than it was expected to be before the season started. The Bucs SOS was ranked as the 26th hardest. The Bucs finished the regular season 9-8 in the worst division in the NFL. Then they met the Eagles in the WC game. That Eagle team was reeling from injuries and played very poorly the last third of the season. I'm happy that the Bucs made it as far as they did, but that joy is tempered by reality.
Next season I expect the Falcons to be better with the right coaching hire and picking up the right QB. The Saints are always going to be tough. I expect next seasons SOS to end up being much better than this seasons.
I posted it was T-21. Stop quoting lies
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:27 am
Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:27 pm

This isn’t baseball or the NBA. We can’t just throw billions of dollars at athletes and expect them to stay. There’s a salary cap and it’s also a two-way street. Evans has to want to come back and I’m not sure he does.
He had one of his best statistical seasons of his career. Getting in the HoF should be important to him. He has that with Mayfield
He also had that with Josh mccown. It doesn’t matter who throws the ball to Mike, he’s putting up numbers.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

bucarican wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:22 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:13 pm

have fun with it because it still took an L
Ah, yes. Something you have a great deal of experience with.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:32 pm A couple critical things cost us the game:

- We did not recognize them bringing unexpected edge pressure a few times and it killed a couple of drives that could have resulted in points. Plus one where Godecke blocked down and turned Hutchinson loose.
- We never found an answer for that route combination they killed us with the whole second half. They sent a crosser in front of Lavonte who shaded that way and then brought one behind him into the wide open middle. We needed to counter that with Winfield driving hard into that lane. I bet we get a pick on that at some point, and worst case they score over the top. But they scored 3 straight TDs anyway.
- Missed FG. Chase has been money, but that one hurt.
- Giving up that very long 3rd down conversion after Kancey's second sack. That's when we went down 14.

And definitely plenty more. But just maybe... this year's Bucs is a lot like last year's Lions. A team that had a lot of things going in the right direction, but couldn't overcome their own crucial errors. And this year, those Lions didn't make many if any errors.
Add to that multiple defensive drives where the backup D-line played for a full series of snaps. The big Jahmyr Gibbs run that opened the flood gates was because of Greg Gaines fuck up.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Going into the half with a lead would've made no difference?
Getting the lead at all this game would've made no difference?

You really think it's just "tack on three points to the end score" don'tcha?
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:33 am
GreatTimes wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:15 pm
I posted it was T-21. Stop quoting lies
https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/sc ... edule.html Has the Bucs SOS at #27 as of Jan 8th with the Bucs opponents winning percentage of .478.

27 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 138-151-0 0.478.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:51 am

Missing that kick, granted a 50 yarder, but Chase has been so money and then those sacks in plus territory are what killed us. Mike’s early drop. Jamel Dean dropped a gift wrapped INT.

Then a very Bowles-like defensive call on 3rd and 15 in a must stop situation.

We made the mistakes. They didn’t.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

...what if that kick would have been at the beginning of the game?

See how dumb that sounds when you arbitrarily try to change reality?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Too funny. You literally point at it and still miss the point.

Exactly right, what if it did happen in the beginning? We made mistakes this game. We had plays we could've made and we didn't. Everyone from Chase, to Evans, to Baker and everyone else. And each was damaging and each should be held accountable.

This fan practice of simply writing off all those others and putting the entire bill of blame on whoever waited until the end of the game to make their mistake is just plain stupid.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Simple fact is the Lions are a better team than us. They proved that early in the season. They made mistakes yesterday, but they could afford more mistakes than us. We had to play a perfect game to beat them and for 3 quarters, we were close to it. Same went for GB on Saturday. SF is definitely the better team there, but GB almost played that perfect game until the 4th quarter hit.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:37 am

...what if that kick would have been at the beginning of the game?

See how dumb that sounds when you arbitrarily try to change reality?
What are you trying to say? Having a lead versus being tied or behind changes so much in the sequencing and flow of a game.

Missing that FG and having those two sacks that took us out of plus territory were killers. Now, I don't know whose fault that is? Baker's for not checking to something else and/or making sure those guys are picked up or what.

On the one White just fell down. The other Goedeke crashed inside and let Huthinson free.

That's 9 points. We lost by 8.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I didn’t notice live bc I was so defeated, but we could have got the ball back. Bowles decided to throw in the towel.

So that’s cool. WTF?!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am I didn’t notice live bc I was so defeated, but we could have got the ball back. Bowles decided to throw in the towel.

So that’s cool. WTF?!
Wondered that last night too. They would have had to attempt a FG with about 36 seconds left.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am I didn’t notice live bc I was so defeated, but we could have got the ball back. Bowles decided to throw in the towel.

So that’s cool. WTF?!
Wondered that last night too. They would have had to attempt a FG with about 36 seconds left.
Yep or punt. Either way, we could have played the down for a block/miss/botched play, and got the ball back with time for at least a Hail Mary or desperation play.

It’s the goddamn playoffs!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I had turned off the game by then, but I saw it this morning. Was a little peeved myself when I saw it too.

However with that said this team fought super hard all game long and even got the ball back for us at the end. I'm not gonna devalue that because we didn't try to close out the game with wackadoodle lateral play down 11.