Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Re: Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:23 am
If he was on the Browns when Baker was there you have to imagine Baker had some input on that one
I said what I said

Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:10 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:23 am
Be curious to see if he walks away from Mayfield too.
If he wanted to, he could have declined to interview.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not for nothing but it looks like other teams are doing some more "next Canales" like searches this year too. Really like how guys like Texans QB coach Jerrod Johnson, Lion's (and former ours) Antwaan Randle El, and Thad Lewis are all getting looks. I wonder if we would re-offer to Dan Pitcher?

I would love to revisit Scottie Montgomery, Kubiak, and KMac again. KMac now has two years as a WR coach under O'Connell and Wes Phillips, both McVay guys.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:36 pm

Since Baker is not signed it might not be that OBVIOUS.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:11 am

I think Stefanski is very locked in. Sirianni???? Not so much. If I had to say, job security would be 1. Stefanski 2. Bowles 3. Sirianni
If hitching your wagon to the wrong first round QB is a kiss of death for a HC, what's it when you trade all your firsts and commit $250M?
You're a big guy on "Baker won us a division and a playoff game", right? Cleveland's record with Watson was 5-1... 6-5 without him. I'd think that if a team wins 83% of their games with a QB that got paid $250M, that's a good decision. You don't think so? Or are you just a blind homer and you're subscribing to the "it's ok if I do it, but it's not ok if you do it", method? Wait you're going to tell me that he played in 2022 also, aren't you? Ok, the Browns with Watson are 8-4 (a .667 winning %), yeah... that's better than 9-8 too, isn't it?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:36 pm

Or he, like Robinson, can interview with someone else and take that job instead.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Baker has had an up and down career. Last season was an up year for Baker. If Baker has a down season next year, will the pundits lay the blame on the new OC? That is something prospective OC's have to consider.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

59%, 16 Total TDs, 15 Total Turnovers, 189 yards per game since getting to Cleveland... for $250M.

You want to talk about the Browns record, heck if Baker was still there they'd probably had clenched the #1 seed in such a shitty AFC this year.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:31 pm If we’re promoting Thad Lewis… let’s hope Baker is a believer in Thad.

I just sense Thad is still too green, you don’t want to rush these things for your team or the coaches sake.

Not feeling too great how things have gone ever since that missed TO by Bowles. Kinda seems this offseason is snowballing into a full blown disaster….
If we're honest about it, we thought Canales was too green also

Seems to have worked out ok by the end of the season
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:12 pm 59%, 16 Total TDs, 15 Total Turnovers, 189 yards per game since getting to Cleveland... for $250M.

You want to talk about the Browns record, heck if Baker was still there they'd probably had clenched the #1 seed in such a shitty AFC this year.
You know how to tell when someone is debating a losing battle, but are too stubborn to admit it? They don't reply to the person they're debating, hoping to get the last word in, without then realizing it, and claim the other person had no comeback.

This is weird because when I bring up stats, I'm told that the Bucs won their division and a playoff game. When I bring up the fact that the Browns have a better record with Watson, I'm given stats.

You people need to make up your mind on how you want to debate.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I guess no offer.

GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Per DraftKings, the Buccaneers have the 21st-best odds to win next season's Super Bowl at +6000. The rest of the NFC South has Atlanta with the best odds at +2800, with the Saints coming in at +8000 and Dave Canales' new team the Panthers having the worst odds in the league at +25000.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 am
13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:38 am

I personally would like to see Brian Griese as OC.
I hadn't thought about him as being the coach you were referring to earlier. That could be a good selection.
Wait, people were upset that a Canales who coached from HS to college and 7 years in the NFL was a first time OC, yet we want someone who never coached at all and was an announcer until the last two seasons is suddenly a great choice?
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:41 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 am

I hadn't thought about him as being the coach you were referring to earlier. That could be a good selection.
Wait, people were upset that a Canales who coached from HS to college and 7 years in the NFL was a first time OC, yet we want someone who never coached at all and was an announcer until the last two seasons is suddenly a great choice?
Coaching Mr Irrelevant to the NFCCG (and possibly a PCL away from a SB) in his rookie year, then to the SB in year 2, plus 10 years as a QB in the NFL isn’t a bad resume and should warrant an OC interview.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:51 pm I guess no offer.

I kind of really like this for Thad. You know in real estate they say never fall in love with the first house? Well sometimes the first house is really really good. If we're doing all these and still feel we like Thad to carry on the offense, I'll trust the process. It's been a good a thorough process.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I’m not against Randle El. He has experience in this building under Arians and learned even more with a great staff in Detroit.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed. I think our interview panel is savvy and knows what they are looking for. Randle El would be very cool too.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:20 pm
kaimaru wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:41 pm

Coaching Mr Irrelevant to the NFCCG (and possibly a PCL away from a SB) in his rookie year, then to the SB in year 2, plus 10 years as a QB in the NFL isn’t a bad resume and should warrant an OC interview.
You do realize they got there with Garappalo without him as QB couch? You're reasoning says Shane Day should be a HC. Bc that's what you're peddling. Also by your logic, Brady should be the best HC ever.

Mayfield is a top 16 quarterback. Brady before he was Brady as you are all arguing won many Super Bowls before he became elite. So did Eli, and a Payton that was clearly a ghost of himself, and Flacco, and God forbid Dilfer. The point is you don't need a Mahommes ro win a Super Bowl. And considering big time touted QB likes Burrows and Lawrence and Allen hasn't sniffed one proves that it's the team and not the QB except in rare instances like Brady and Mahommes that wins Super Bowls.

Bowles plays a bend not break defense. So did Monte Kiffin. The difference is we don't have the pass rush Kiffin had, yet somehow we are still limited high powered offenses. People bitch and moan about Bowles but if we had just one Sapp, this team would be transformed. I hear way too many complaints. Pick a QB in the first round? How about Licht picks that stud we need?
Last edited by kaimaru on Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I would Love to know who Baker is hoping for
I said what I said

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Maybe hooking up with you?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It’s only been a few days. Conduct a ton of interviews. No reason not to.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:38 am

You do realize they got there with Garappalo without him as QB couch? You're reasoning says Shane Day should be a HC. Bc that's what you're peddling. Also by your logic, Brady should be the best HC ever.

Ummm I said it should “warrant an OC interview.”

So, no, my reasoning or logic wouldn’t lead to either of those conclusions.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

So that's 2 former Mayfield offensive coaches that weren't offered a job? Hmmmm..... wonder.... why.....?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

While I would prefer to keep Baker, he IS a FA so I don’t think we should hire an OC with strictly him in mind.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Well, Kirk Cousins is available
Snake

Post by Snake »

Shanahan is the offensive everything in San Francisco.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:38 am

Mayfield is a top 16 quarterback. Brady before he was Brady as you are all arguing won many Super Bowls before he became elite. So did Eli, and a Payton that was clearly a ghost of himself, and Flacco, and God forbid Dilfer. The point is you don't need a Mahommes ro win a Super Bowl. And considering big time touted QB likes Burrows and Lawrence and Allen hasn't sniffed one proves that it's the team and not the QB except in rare instances like Brady and Mahommes that wins Super Bowls.

Bowles plays a bend not break defense. So did Monte Kiffin. The difference is we don't have the pass rush Kiffin had, yet somehow we are still limited high powered offenses. People bitch and moan about Bowles but if we had just one Sapp, this team would be transformed. I hear way too many complaints. Pick a QB in the first round? How about Licht picks that stud we need?
Strawman says "what"? LOL And... what was the rest of that crap?

All he said was that being a 10 year NFL veteran QB and involved in an offense where they took a 7th round rookie QB to the NFCCG and then Super Bowl in consecutive years, warrants at least an interview to be an offensive coordinator. He didn't say anyone should be a head coach... though, maybe Day might get an interview, who knows. When did Brady ever coach an offense? We're 5 pages into the thread and you've only commented on this page. In the only 2 real posts you've made, you criticized people's thoughts/suggestions and offered up nothing in return. How about, I don't know, saying "I disagree... I think we should interview...", and give your thoughts/suggestions.

Brady, Eli, and Payton are all Hall of Famers... Dilfer and Flacco were on backup QB or rookie QB contracts on teams with elite defenses. The '02 defense is regarded as one of the best all time. Baker is NOT a Hall of Famer, nor will he ever be. Baker will NOT be on a cheap contract and our defense isn't going to historically elite. It's also hilarious that you say (paraphrasing), Brady wasn't Brady until after he won Super Bowls. LOL, the dude won 3 in his first 4 years. In 6 years, how many Super Bowls has Mayfield won?

Um, Burrow did make it to a Super Bowl..... As for Lawrence and Allen, you're touting Mahomes as a generational talent and then blaming Allen and Lawrence for not beating him? Ummm? Though, I'd contend that had Diggs not all of a sudden forget how to catch a pass, they would have beaten KC last week and been playing Baltimore the other day.

It's funny that you want Licht to pick a "stud we need", but you don't want that stud to be a QB. It's funny because everyone who currently has a job in the NFL, wants the exact opposite of what you're saying and everyone who HAD a job in the NFL couldn't achieve the opposite of what you're saying (or they did achieve it... won a lot, then retired rich and known as an all-time great).
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:52 am Shanahan is the offensive everything in San Francisco.
Mike McDaniels on line 1.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:25 am
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:52 am Shanahan is the offensive everything in San Francisco.
Mike McDaniels on line 1.
Coaching underneath Shanahan doesn’t preclude anyone from being a good coach. I think Shanahan is the special sauce tho.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

We'll need a new WR coach as well.

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:19 pm
The more I think about it, the more I sell myself on him tbh.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s a hard position to evaluate when it’s someone who doesn’t have a track record of doing the job. Play sequencing, play design, scheming. It’s a lot of concrete ideas mixed with abstract thinking and the ability to detect patterns and employ game theory. A lot of it is study and knowing stuff. A lot is innate and hard to determine until you’re doing the damn thing.

I know nothing about Randle El’s history other than seeing him in Madden. I hope it works out if they go that route.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:31 pm It’s a hard position to evaluate when it’s someone who doesn’t have a track record of doing the job. Play sequencing, play design, scheming. It’s a lot of concrete ideas mixed with abstract thinking and the ability to detect patterns and employ game theory. A lot of it is study and knowing stuff. A lot is innate and hard to determine until you’re doing the damn thing.

I know nothing about Randle El’s history other than seeing him in Madden. I hope it works out if they go that route.
Two nuggets about him:

- He won a Superbowl ring here in Tampa as WR coach under Bruce Arians, and spent two years here, so he is familiar with core members of our offense such as Mike Evans and Chris Godwin and Tristan Wirfs and so forth.
- He finished sixth in Heisman voting at Indiana as a quarterback. So while he made his professional bones as a receiver, he has practical experience as a QB.

I like Randel El, at least on paper. He has history with our roster, he was raised on no-riskit no-biscuit, he has spent the last few years being coordinated by one of the better young minds in football, and the work that he's done with Amon-Ra St Brown is self-explanatory.

Could do a lot worse.