Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:31 pm
I know nothing about Randle El’s history other than seeing him in Madden. I hope it works out if they go that route.
Randle El was a great returner, i remember several returns for touchdowns when he was a Steeler
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:52 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:31 pm It’s a hard position to evaluate when it’s someone who doesn’t have a track record of doing the job. Play sequencing, play design, scheming. It’s a lot of concrete ideas mixed with abstract thinking and the ability to detect patterns and employ game theory. A lot of it is study and knowing stuff. A lot is innate and hard to determine until you’re doing the damn thing.

I know nothing about Randle El’s history other than seeing him in Madden. I hope it works out if they go that route.
Two nuggets about him:

- He won a Superbowl ring here in Tampa as WR coach under Bruce Arians, and spent two years here, so he is familiar with core members of our offense such as Mike Evans and Chris Godwin and Tristan Wirfs and so forth.
- He finished sixth in Heisman voting at Indiana as a quarterback. So while he made his professional bones as a receiver, he has practical experience as a QB.

I like Randel El, at least on paper. He has history with our roster, he was raised on no-riskit no-biscuit, he has spent the last few years being coordinated by one of the better young minds in football, and the work that he's done with Amon-Ra St Brown is self-explanatory.

Could do a lot worse.
Bingo. I won’t pretend to know if he has what it takes to call an offense or not when he hasn’t done it, but everyone has to start somewhere and his background here plus work with great staff in Detroit makes him a very interesting hire on paper.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ben Johnson clone?

Tanner Engstrand enters his fourth season with the Lions in 2023 and his first as the passing game coordinator.
In 2022, Engstrand oversaw the team's tight ends in addition to elevated responsibilities in the team's passing game. Detroit's tight ends combined for 12 touchdown receptions on the season, establishing a new single-season franchise record. The Lions also had three different tight ends produce a multi-touchdown game in 2022, becoming the first team in NFL history to do so.
https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coach ... -engstrand

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:52 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:31 pm It’s a hard position to evaluate when it’s someone who doesn’t have a track record of doing the job. Play sequencing, play design, scheming. It’s a lot of concrete ideas mixed with abstract thinking and the ability to detect patterns and employ game theory. A lot of it is study and knowing stuff. A lot is innate and hard to determine until you’re doing the damn thing.

Two nuggets about him:

- He won a Superbowl ring here in Tampa as WR coach under Bruce Arians, and spent two years here, so he is familiar with core members of our offense such as Mike Evans and Chris Godwin and Tristan Wirfs and so forth.
- He finished sixth in Heisman voting at Indiana as a quarterback. So while he made his professional bones as a receiver, he has practical experience as a QB.

I like Randel El, at least on paper. He has history with our roster, he was raised on no-riskit no-biscuit, he has spent the last few years being coordinated by one of the better young minds in football, and the work that he's done with Amon-Ra St Brown is self-explanatory.

Could do a lot worse.
For more info https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coach ... -randle-el
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

From what I read, Engstrand backed out of consideration for the Patriots’ OC gig under the assumption that Ben Johnson was going to get a HC gig and he was the favorite for a promotion in Detroit. BJ staying makes him an interesting candidate now.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It definitely feels like we have a little more positive interest from higher end candidates.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Jerrod Johnson just announced he is staying in Houston.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:01 pm Jerrod Johnson just announced he is staying in Houston.
Yep. He and Bobby Slowik signed contract extensions.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Oh god not Brian Johnson
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:17 am Oh god not Brian Johnson
But but but but he worked with Trask in college......
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I wonder if Johnson would be in play as QB coach, if we went w Thad. Not like he has a job currently.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:17 pm From what I read, Engstrand backed out of consideration for the Patriots’ OC gig under the assumption that Ben Johnson was going to get a HC gig and he was the favorite for a promotion in Detroit. BJ staying makes him an interesting candidate now.
If the Lions organization considers Engstrand to be good enough to become their OC, he would definitely be a damn good candidate for the Bucs to consider.
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

Dumb questions. Thanks for humoring me.

What happens to the playbook when an OC leaves? Am I correct in assuming many/most/all of those plays go with him and it gets replaced by a whole new offensive playbook brought in by the new OC? And who would primarily make the offensive playbook for Carolina, Canales (since he was just an OC) or his new OC?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

reagan SMASH wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:06 am Dumb questions. Thanks for humoring me.

What happens to the playbook when an OC leaves? Am I correct in assuming many/most/all of those plays go with him and it gets replaced by a whole new offensive playbook brought in by the new OC? And who would primarily make the offensive playbook for Carolina, Canales (since he was just an OC) or his new OC?
While there's alot of carryover between playbooks as far as formations and concepts and counters to specific defensive calls, different plays can be called different things between coordinators. Similarly, a wooden thing with four legs and a flat top that holds your food while you're eating may be called a mesa or a tableau or a tavolo or a table, but they're all referencing the same thing. A coordinator having consistency in the "language" of the plays he's calling isn't to be underestimated. Any coordinator coming from the same family of languages will likely use the same or at least very similar terms.

In regards to us right now, if we hire Thaddeus Lewis as our OC, he's spent the last year in our language, so there would probably be alot of carryover between the Canales offense and the one he would implement, though there may be different emphases in regards to what he wants to do most. A new OC bringing in a new offense, we will probably be learning a new set of vocabulary.

Can we use Cannales' stuff right now? Of course we could. The playbook is still available to the team. If we keep Lewis, I imagine we keep most if not all of his stuff. If we go a different direction, I imagine we scrap most of it.

In regards to Carolina and building their offense, I imagine that Cannales is going to basically copy/paste his Bucs' offensive content into a new powerpoint and change the logo at the top to a Panther. Given how close him and Brad Idzik are, their contributions to their offensive system is going be so collaborative that making a distinction between who did what is strictly a theoretical exercise.
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:18 pm While there's alot of carryover between playbooks as far as formations and concepts and counters to specific defensive calls, different plays can be called different things between coordinators. Similarly, a wooden thing with four legs and a flat top that holds your food while you're eating may be called a mesa or a tableau or a tavolo or a table, but they're all referencing the same thing. A coordinator having consistency in the "language" of the plays he's calling isn't to be underestimated. Any coordinator coming from the same family of languages will likely use the same or at least very similar terms.

In regards to us right now, if we hire Thaddeus Lewis as our OC, he's spent the last year in our language, so there would probably be alot of carryover between the Canales offense and the one he would implement, though there may be different emphases in regards to what he wants to do most. A new OC bringing in a new offense, we will probably be learning a new set of vocabulary.

Can we use Cannales' stuff right now? Of course we could. The playbook is still available to the team. If we keep Lewis, I imagine we keep most if not all of his stuff. If we go a different direction, I imagine we scrap most of it.

In regards to Carolina and building their offense, I imagine that Cannales is going to basically copy/paste his Bucs' offensive content into a new powerpoint and change the logo at the top to a Panther. Given how close him and Brad Idzik are, their contributions to their offensive system is going be so collaborative that making a distinction between who did what is strictly a theoretical exercise.
Thank you! That was very helpful, I appreciate the thought you put into the response!
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Looks like we are interviewing Thad Lewis and looking in-house.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:18 pm
reagan SMASH wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:06 am Dumb questions. Thanks for humoring me.

While there's alot of carryover between playbooks as far as formations and concepts and counters to specific defensive calls, different plays can be called different things between coordinators. Similarly, a wooden thing with four legs and a flat top that holds your food while you're eating may be called a mesa or a tableau or a tavolo or a table, but they're all referencing the same thing. A coordinator having consistency in the "language" of the plays he's calling isn't to be underestimated. Any coordinator coming from the same family of languages will likely use the same or at least very similar terms.

And if they do that doesn’t it give us an advantage twice a year when we play them?
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:57 pm Looks like we are interviewing Thad Lewis and looking in-house.
Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:04 pm I really have a feeling our new OC will be Thad Lewis- I think the Buc’s don’t want to lose him and I think this is the only way they keep him.
I said what I said

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:31 pm
Dcbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:57 pm Looks like we are interviewing Thad Lewis and looking in-house.
Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:04 pm I really have a feeling our new OC will be Thad Lewis- I think the Buc’s don’t want to lose him and I think this is the only way they keep him.
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:52 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:51 pm The Bucs are probably going to hire Thad Lewis as offensive coordinator.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:30 pm

And if they do that doesn’t it give us an advantage twice a year when we play them?
If Cannales doesn't change things up, absolutely. But also, if we don't change up our calls a bit, the Panthers would have the same advantage.

One of the big reasons we clapped the Raider's cheeks in our first Superbowl win is that their head coach Callahan reportedly changed NOTHING from Gruden's offense that he had with the Raiders the previous season. We knew all their calls and checks, and it's a big reason we jumped out to a 34-3 lead.

Speaking more personally, I've had former coaches of mine go to rival schools and they frequently bring snippets of my systems there if not copy them wholecloth, and it is a constant annoyance having to tweak my stuff so I don't get hosed on gamedays.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:12 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:30 pm
If Cannales doesn't change things up, absolutely. But also, if we don't change up our calls a bit, the Panthers would have the same advantage.

One of the big reasons we clapped the Raider's cheeks in our first Superbowl win is that their head coach Callahan reportedly changed NOTHING from Gruden's offense that he had with the Raiders the previous season. We knew all their calls and checks, and it's a big reason we jumped out to a 34-3 lead.

Speaking more personally, I've had former coaches of mine go to rival schools and they frequently bring snippets of my systems there if not copy them wholecloth, and it is a constant annoyance having to tweak my stuff so I don't get hosed on gamedays.

The bolded part is exactly what I was thinking of when I asked that question. At the beginning of that football season I posted that I bet this Super Bowl would be the Bucs versus the Raiders because of the above and it would be such good matchup for the NFL. This was long before all the conspiracy theories. lol
I said what I said

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:31 pm

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:52 pm
I would hate that hire. If the Glazers loved Canales's offense so much, they would have pulled a Koetter here. Also, you don't promote someone just because you're afraid of losing them.

He has been a coach only 3 years, all of them with the Bucs. Can he put together almost an entire coaching staff? Who could he possibly know who wouldn't just be fired coaches left over from Arians? If anything, I think that is probably the reason they waited so long to interview him. They probably said to confirm a list of people who are willing to work on your staff, and I doubt that he had a long list. Hiring him would smell of desperation as no one else wanted the job
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Lots of McVay tree potential hires being interviewed. Looks like Bucs might have a plan or signal that Baker is ready to sign a deal with us. Let’s say that happens, does Mike come back too? LVD?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

CAPTAIN FEAR HIRED AS THE MASCOT FOR THE CAROLINA PANTHERS!
I said what I said

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:51 pm
Hopefully he stays on for at least two years.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:26 pm Lots of McVay tree potential hires being interviewed. Looks like Bucs might have a plan or signal that Baker is ready to sign a deal with us. Let’s say that happens, does Mike come back too? LVD?
Lots?

I don’t think all these things are really that connected.

Especially LaVonte.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Both of them have worked with Baker
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

One would hope that we do not keep Cannales stuff.. I don't want to be like the 2002 Raiders and Bill Callahan.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bucs turning over every stone in this search
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Van Pelt was hired by the Patriots.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Okay, I have a new #1.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:21 pm

Okay, I have a new #1.
What? Why?

Just because he worked with Baker Mayfield?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Selmon Rules wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:34 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:31 pm If we’re promoting Thad Lewis… let’s hope Baker is a believer in Thad.

I just sense Thad is still too green, you don’t want to rush these things for your team or the coaches sake.

Not feeling too great how things have gone ever since that missed TO by Bowles. Kinda seems this offseason is snowballing into a full blown disaster….
If we're honest about it, we thought Canales was too green also

Seems to have worked out ok by the end of the season
If Canales was Green, Thad is waaay green. Canales spent 13 years as position coach in Seattle, Thad’s spent what 2 years as one?