Welcome Liam Coen- TB’s new OC coach

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Welcome Liam Coen- TB’s new OC coach

Post by Babeinbucland »

Let’s hear what you have to say about this.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/394 ... oordinator
I said what I said

Buccabeer

Re: Welcome Liam Coen- TB’s new OC coach

Post by Buccabeer »

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/5-thing ... -coen-2024

At least he's be an OC and there's likely not going to be a big change in the Offensive scheme.
Kress

Post by Kress »

All I can think is how goddamn young all these coaches look. Meaning, of course, that I'm getting old.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bakers played under him before, so that can’t be an excuse,
When baker reverts to the mean, right?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I think way too much was made out of "he coached Baker". They were together from December 6 2022-January 8th 2023. A little over a month.

What should we expect from Coen as our OC?
Most hated man in America.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Bootz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:31 pm I think way too much was made out of "he coached Baker". They were together from December 6 2022-January 8th 2023. A little over a month.

If it's a good hire, no less than what Canales produced. With that said, I guess we need to see what pieces are still left. If the OL stays in tact and healthy, maybe we get more pieces on the OL, that can only improve the chances of a better Offensive season if it's Mayfield as QB and Evans is still around. No Mayfield and/or No Evans basically chalks itself up to a do better than anyone expects year on Offense.
Snake

Post by Snake »

We wait and see. Maybe the team won’t have the worst run game in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Cool. I know nothing of this guy so I have zero opinion of the hire really.

Now let's get Mayfield under contract ASAP.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:31 pm I think way too much was made out of "he coached Baker". They were together from December 6 2022-January 8th 2023. A little over a month.

More of a familiarity with the system as a whole than those few games with Baker. All benefit continuity though, which is why we were concerned with Canales departing.

Nice that he already has play calling experience. Definitely felt like there was a learning curve for Canales early on in the season.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:16 am Cool. I know nothing of this guy so I have zero opinion of the hire really.

Now let's get Mayfield under contract ASAP.
Agree. That’s our next domino. Love to have he and Mike done without even testing the market.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

On paper it’s a great hire. Similar offence to Canales, so some continuity should remain. Familiar with Baker. McVay coaching tree but with experience as an OC and as a play caller. On paper he’s a much better hire than Canales last year but Canales obviously had some pretty rare communication and leadership qualities. Not to sure how Coen compares there, but he’s got the better resume. Interested to watch his presser and see what he’s about.

Kentucky fans torn on him. Most mad he left but also acknowledge the O was a disappointment under him last year.

Rams fans meanwhile would tell you he was at one point the most respected of all their offensive position coaches and was on the fast track before he opted to get play calling experience at Kentucky (as McVay calls the plays in LA).
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How long was he signed for? I could not find this info for Canales either when we signed him.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Do we need the Glazers to offer lucrative contract offers to bring position coaches to our team? How many five?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cool to do, but I also wonder if it’s a little awkward for him considering he’s not under contract.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:06 pm
Cool to do, but I also wonder if it’s a little awkward for him considering he’s not under contract.
Implies he’s going to get a big ass deal that he probably can’t refuse
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:39 am I would Love to know who Baker is hoping for
Looks like it was Liam Coen lol
I said what I said

Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

acmillis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm Bakers played under him before, so that can’t be an excuse,
Your enthusiasm is depressing.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doooshnzl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:21 pm
acmillis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm Bakers played under him before, so that can’t be an excuse,
If @acmillis had his way we wouldn't resign Baker. We would use our first round pick on the 5th or 6th best QB and have a QB competition between Trask and the first round pick. Even if Trask won, he would not want us to resign him and instead draft another first round pick because you never pay a QB on a second contract. I have it all right don't I @acmillis ?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:43 am
Doooshnzl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:21 pm

If @acmillis had his way we wouldn't resign Baker. We would use our first round pick on the 5th or 6th best QB and have a QB competition between Trask and the first round pick. Even if Trask won, he would not want us to resign him and instead draft another first round pick because you never pay a QB on a second contract. I have it all right don't I @acmillis ?
Half right.
If Genie came out of the lamp, we would not re-sign Baker, correct. We'd draft a QB (move up if you (Licht) like)), and yes, compete with Trask. If Trask balls out, transition tag him. You know why I'd transition tag Trask after one year of "balling out?" Because I don't want to pay a QB for one year of good QB play (BAKER).
For the eleventy millionth time, look at Baker's career. He's NEVER had back-to-back good years in the NFL. Not ever, once. Some of you are saying we should guarantee him $100M which is as crazy as me wanting Trask and a rookie, right?
In a realistic world, not my favorite, but I'm willing to compromise with whoever, tag Baker, and if he has another good season, pay that man his money.
Do not give me the whole, "tagging him will not allow us to sign Mike, Winfield, Wirfs, etc. That's all bullshit.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

***Sigh*** Still holding out hope for Kyle Trask? Denial is the 1st stage of grief and bro you're still in denial about Trask being worth a damn. Time to jump to acceptance. He ain't it. And miss me with the "well I haven't seen it" nonsense. The people that matter have seen it and they said "Nah we can do better".
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Maybe he's a Gators fan?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Dude's saying look at Bakers career like he's a 12 year McCown or something.

This is the first time Baker had a choice in his career and it's clear he made a good one. IDGAF about his first five, replace them with Tua's first, or Lawrence first 5 or Staffy's, pretend he was our own first overall if it makes you feel better...

But from his year 6th performance to what he can do forward... if he was any of those things above you'd be praising him as your found savior. But he was picked by another team so he's impure.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:05 am Maybe he's a Gators fan?
HUUUUGE NO. Kentucky fan.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am Dude's saying look at Bakers career like he's a 12 year McCown or something.

This is the first time Baker had a choice in his career and it's clear he made a good one. IDGAF about his first five, replace them with Tua's first, or Lawrence first 5 or Staffy's, pretend he was our own first overall if it makes you feel better...

But from his year 6th performance to what he can do forward... if he was any of those things above you'd be praising him as your found savior. But he was picked by another team so he's impure.
So...let's say you're dating this girl, have been for six years now. For years 1, 3, and 5, she cheats on you. For years 2, 4, and 6, she doesn't cheat on you. You're entering year 7. You're going to marry that girl, right? You know, because years 1, 3, and 5 don't matter whatsoever, only the most recent year, right?
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:21 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am Dude's saying look at Bakers career like he's a 12 year McCown or something.

So...let's say you're dating this girl, have been for six years now. For years 1, 3, and 5, she cheats on you. For years 2, 4, and 6, she doesn't cheat on you. You're entering year 7. You're going to marry that girl, right? You know, because years 1, 3, and 5 don't matter whatsoever, only the most recent year, right?

I'm going to need to see pics.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Pretty sure if anything Baker the gf that got cheated on...

Again, why are you so set on punishing Baker for Cleveland and Carolina being trash?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:20 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:05 am Maybe he's a Gators fan?
Enlighten us on Coen then.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 am Pretty sure if anything Baker the gf that got cheated on...

Again, why are you so set on punishing Baker for Cleveland and Carolina being trash?
You're 100% correct, he deserves none of the blame for completely sucking for 50% of his NFL career.
You receive today's "Prisoner of the Moment" award.

You're saying Cleveland sucked. They sucked in 2018 when Baker had a good rookie year? They sucked in 2020 when Baker had a good third year?
Which is it?
If Baker doesn't get credit for being bad in Cleveland, he sure as shit shouldn't get credit for being good, either.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:28 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 am Pretty sure if anything Baker the gf that got cheated on...

You're 100% correct, he deserves none of the blame for completely sucking for 50% of his NFL career.

You're saying Cleveland sucked. They sucked in 2018 when Baker had a good rookie year? They sucked in 2020 when Baker had a good third year?
Which is it?
If Baker doesn't get credit for being bad in Cleveland, he sure as shit shouldn't get credit for being good, either.
Guys have good years. Guys have bad years. Guys have average years. Where are the QB's who are 100% consistent all of the time? I think there's one of them. We can't have him.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:26 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:20 am

Enlighten us on Coen then.
He had two cups of coffee at UK, so I don't know enough about him/his leadership to get too down/excited. UK had decent offenses in his two years there, and Levis was considered a good prospect, but other than that, not too much to glean from his time there.

If Baker is good this season, it will 110% be because Coen is our OC and he came from UK! /blue.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 am

Which is it?
Guys have good years. Guys have bad years. Guys have average years. Where are the QB's who are 100% consistent all of the time? I think there's one of them. We can't have him.
You're absolutely right about the ups and the downs. However, if, as some OPs are saying around here, give him 100M guaranteed, I'd want more than a literal 50/50 shot at up/down.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Which is it?
A 50/50 QB like Baker on our roster will get you 7 to 10 wins and no superbowl

We need better QB play or a much more talented defense
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:33 am

You're absolutely right about the ups and the downs. However, if, as some OPs are saying around here, give him 100M guaranteed, I'd want more than a literal 50/50 shot at up/down.
I think $100M is a lot and probably too much. I've been leaning into Daniel Jones as a contract comp, but we have to remember he was drafted by the Giants, and then they declined his 5th year option. I think that was a big part in that negotiation. He stuck it to them a bit.

I'm not sure Baker necessarily wants to do that to us, but I keep thinking that's what his agent is going to push for. Somewhere in between Geno and Jones makes sense thought. Bu, Baker's walk year numbers were better than Jones' were.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:33 am
I think $100M is a lot and probably too much. I've been leaning into Daniel Jones as a contract comp, but we have to remember he was drafted by the Giants, and then they declined his 5th year option. I think that was a big part in that negotiation. He stuck it to them a bit.

I'm not sure Baker necessarily wants to do that to us, but I keep thinking that's what his agent is going to push for. Somewhere in between Geno and Jones makes sense thought. Bu, Baker's walk year numbers were better than Jones' were.
Yup, Baker had (arguably) his best NFL season when it mattered most (to him financially). That is why I'd transition tag him. It's cheaper than the franchise tag, and nobody is giving us two 1st round picks for him. We have the cap to make it happen AND STILL sign everybody we want to.