Current roster matrix, sans free agents, and thoughts

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Current roster matrix, sans free agents, and thoughts

Post by Snake »

Asterisk indicates a reserve/future contract or someone who can be cut with minimal cap hit. Mostly camp fodder, or late round picks.

Offense

QB: K. Trask

Last year of Kyle's deal.

RB: R. White, S. Tucker, P. Laird*

White was 4th among NFL RBs in total yards from scrimmage last season. Tucker only received 17 touches as a rookie. The Bucs need to replace approximately 220 snaps that Vaughn/Edmonds provided. White should be the horse again. We don't know where the team stands on Tucker. Adding one good piece here should solidify the position. The question is, FA or draft pick?

WR: Godwin, Palmer, Gage, Jarrett*, Webb*, Johnson*, R. Miller*

Gage is a certainty to get cut. Godwin and Palmer. That's it right now. Evans off this list really illustrates.

TE: Otton, Kieft*, Durham*, Taula*

I expressed my thoughts about TE here. It's a cheap area for the Bucs, if not lacking dynamicism.

OL: Wirfs, Goedeke, Hainsey, Mauch, Stenberg*, Dzansi*, Haggard*

Matt Feiler provided 386 snaps, which was 35% of total offensive snaps. Stinnie provided the other 65%. Both are FAs. Goedeke, Wirfs, and Hainsey provided 100% of the snaps at the other positions and all return. Big hole at guard right now.

The interior o-line was a weak spot last season. and Canales ran the ball behind them a whole lot. I think we will see a departure there with the new OC.
mdb1958

Re: Current roster matrix, sans free agents, and thoughts

Post by mdb1958 »

You left off defense so that tells me you are happy with the college scoring joke that has the NFL drafting players being way less ready for the NFL. Lets call it lowering the standard.
Snake

Post by Snake »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:19 am You left off defense so that tells me you are happy with the college scoring joke that has the NFL drafting players being way less ready for the NFL. Lets call it lowering the standard.
Or I’m typing it now and people don’t like to read novels
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:20 am
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:19 am You left off defense so that tells me you are happy with the college scoring joke that has the NFL drafting players being way less ready for the NFL. Lets call it lowering the standard.
Or I’m typing it now and people don’t like to read novels
I just had to do a college vent.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Defense - front 7

EDGE: Nelson, JTS, Diaby, J. Ramirez*

Shaq is the notable departure. JTS is entering last year of rookie deal. Has 5th year option available. Nelson is also entering last year of his deal. Not sure if they'll have the $ to add here in free agency. Wouldn't be surprised if a top pick is added here.

DE: Diaby, Hall, Banks*, Watts*

The notable departure here is Gholston. He played 22% of defensive snaps.

DT: Vea, Kancey, Greene*, Brewer*, Uguak*

Greg Gaines played 42% of NT snaps last season. He's a FA. Vea is already 29 y/o btw.

hard to see them spending anything in terms of assets here after paying Vea and adding Kancey.

ILB: Dennis*, Britt*, Russell*, Vi Jones*

Seems like a foregone conclusion that LVD is coming back, and White is gone. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't hate to see them roll with LVD and present company. Dennis had an injury plagued rookie season. You're not gonna be strong on paper everywhere, especially with so many dudes to pay. I think you can work around LVD and Co. Provided a stud doesn't fall into your lap on Draft Day(s).
Snake

Post by Snake »

Secondary

Corner: Davis, Dean, McCollum, Hayes*, Isaac*, Mosely*

Every player of consequence from 2023 is still under contract, except Delaney. Hayes threatened for NB spot in camp last year but amounted to a ST regular as a rookie. They need to replace 450 Delaney snaps. Hopefully to be replaced with Davis/Dean snaps because they missed a bunch of games.

Safety: Winfield Jr, Izien*, Merriweather*, LeCount*

I kept AWJ as retained because he's been tagged. Izien played 65% of defensive snaps last season.

Ryan Neal is gone. Which is addition by subtraction.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Gonna need to turn a lot of water into wine.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Going to be really young again. Going to need to stay really healthy again. Dubious about the latter.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

We've had some good No. 1 picks, but don't let Jason Licht draft in the second round. Talk about some whiffs:

Roberto Aguayo
Justin Evans
Ronald Jones
Noah Spence
M.J. Stewart
Kyle Trask
Logan Hall

Granted, he did hit on Winfield Jr. and Carlton Davis (when he's healthy)...and the Goedeke pick doesn't look as bad as a year ago, but damn, there were some bad misses in there.