***Official Free Agency Thread***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: ***Official Free Agency Thread***

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:47 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:45 am

You know he won't be anything more than a backup. The only way he fulfills that is if Russ gets hurt early on
May 2nd will be very telling. The Steelers have to decide whether they want to exercise his 5th year option or not. It's a fully guaranteed $25.6mil option.
I doubt they will but if I were them I think I would.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:15 pm
Navybuc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm Remember the hype around the 2021 qb class?

Three years later, Trevor is the last one standing.

Zach Wilson designated to a backup-3rd string role
Trey Lance a 3rd stringer
Mac Jones traded away for 6th rd pick to be backup
Justin Fields trades away for 6th rd pick to be backup
Kyle Trask barely a backup
Davis Mills a backup

And I don’t even know if Kellen Mond or Ian Book are still in the league anymore.
The only hype around this draft class I remember was Trevor Lawrence. Everyone else was regarded as tier(s) below him. A bunch of athlete QBs with potential to be good.

Same thing with last year’s class. Ar15, mayo guy, young, stroud. Tons of questions. Wouldn’t be surprised if they all end up in a similar boat to that 2021 class.
They were still considered a high tier, especially Trey Lance. The 49ers gave up a lot to move up and get him. You don’t have a qb class go 1-2-3 if they weren’t all expected to be superstars. Even Trevor hasn’t materialized yet the way the Jags hoped, even though he’s still been solid. But to get to the next level they need more out of him
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yeah, QB goes 1-2-3 but it totes wasn't a hyped class. Okay.
Snake

Post by Snake »

For casual retards, yes.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yet all the same people are hyping up this class...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Keep on tanking.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

I remember at the beginning of the season all the shills on ESPN were talking about how Fields had a shot at MVP... LOL..
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 pm We should restructure Godwin's contract because he has not done jackshit for three years. As Bootz pointed out, ranking between 5th and 10th in cap hit for wide receiver
Homer alert.. wouldn't be opposed to trading Godwin for draft equity to finagle getting Coleman.

I love Godwin but I can't see him on the roster 2yrs from now
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:47 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:45 am

You know he won't be anything more than a backup. The only way he fulfills that is if Russ gets hurt early on
May 2nd will be very telling. The Steelers have to decide whether they want to exercise his 5th year option or not. It's a fully guaranteed $25.6mil option.
I'll be shocked if they exercise it.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:54 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:07 pm

I can take a shit and get a sixth round pick out of it.

Talk about a huge waste. They invested a high first round pick and did nothing to help him with receiving targets and O- Line protection.

If he balls out in Pittsburgh, the Bears GM needs to be fired
It's probably the last season for that staff anyway. Chicago has a tradition going. Draft a QB high, fire the HC and/or GM the next season. Drafted Mitch Trubisky in 2017, fired John Fox next season. Drafted Justin Fields in 2021, fired Matt Nagy & Ryan Pace next season. They'll draft Caleb Williams, will probably suck, and will fire at the very least Matt Eberflus next year. I'd let Poles go too.
Trust me Caleb will suck
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50 pm And the jury is still out on Trevor Lawrence.
The jury may still be out. But TL said before the draft football is a game to him, not his life. Brady became the GOAT bc football was his life. TL doesn't have that fire. He doesn't have that desire to better himself for his craft. I think he fails bc of that
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:18 pm
Navybuc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm Remember the hype around the 2021 qb class?

Davis Mills a backup

And I don’t even know if Kellen Mond or Ian Book are still in the league anymore.
So Trask might be the best of the bunch, heh?
Honestly? That class sucked. TL has no passion for football. Mac Jones was NFL ready with no upside. Trey Lance was a project, and we know how projects at QB pan out. So was Zach and Mills. Trask was old school QB. I wish we didn't waste pick 64 honestly
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Davis Mills a backup

The only hype around this draft class I remember was Trevor Lawrence. Everyone else was regarded as tier(s) below him. A bunch of athlete QBs with potential to be good.

Same thing with last year’s class. Ar15, mayo guy, young, stroud. Tons of questions. Wouldn’t be surprised if they all end up in a similar boat to that 2021 class.
This, it was a bad year to need to draft a QB. And TL has no heart
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 pm We should restructure Godwin's contract because he has not done jackshit for three years. As Bootz pointed out, ranking between 5th and 10th in cap hit for wide receiver
3 straight years of 1000 yards receiving is jackshit?? You need to be Baker Acted
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 pm

2024 - Caleb is generational
2023 - Question marks all over the QB room
2022 - No hype whatsoever
2021 - TLaw above everyone else, question marks all over
2020 - Burrow is generational
2012 - Andrew Luck is generational
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:44 pm
kaimaru wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 pm

Sounds like the QB position in college is trending in the wrong direction.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:54 pm

It's probably the last season for that staff anyway. Chicago has a tradition going. Draft a QB high, fire the HC and/or GM the next season. Drafted Mitch Trubisky in 2017, fired John Fox next season. Drafted Justin Fields in 2021, fired Matt Nagy & Ryan Pace next season. They'll draft Caleb Williams, will probably suck, and will fire at the very least Matt Eberflus next year. I'd let Poles go too.
Trust me Caleb will suck
I actually feel bad for Chicago. Last time they had a QB was Jim Harbaugh (imo) but most would say Jim McMahon.

So I hope Caleb is a Lamar because that organization is long overdue.

Plus I think.it would be good for the league to have the oldest rivalry GB vs Chi to get more hype for the next 10-15 years
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

They should've kept Fields and drafted MHJ. They may have had a shot.

Now they are set up to have a man child yelling at one of the most respected veteran WR in the league under a lame duck head coach overseeing a divided locker room.

They've brought this upon themselves.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am They should've kept Fields and drafted MHJ. They may have had a shot.

Now they are set up to have a man child yelling at one of the most respected veteran WR in the league under a lame duck head coach overseeing a divided locker room.

Their GM is playing checkers. You outlined the situation 100% correct. Eberflus won't survive a 3rd straight losing season.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

My questing is what did he want? Did he want out of Fields or does he want to pivot to Caleb?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It doesn't seem as if the Bears have a plan. They completely fumbled the Field situation. Conflicting reports that they misjudged his trade value but also that they didn't take the best offer because they wanted to set him up in the best situation possible to succeed. What that says to me is they know they didn't put him in the best situation for success and likely never wanted him to begin with. Now less than a week into FA they've added new talent at all skills positions.

GMs & HCs clearly don't pay attention.
Rookie QBs don't save jobs when you try to make them a savior. If Caleb Williams doesn't have the Bears at least over .500, Eberflus is toast. Poles might be as well.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

13F11B wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 am
Sdbucs wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:44 pm

Sounds like the QB position in college is trending in the wrong direction.
QB classes have been pretty garbage over the past decade or so and teams/draft analysts have been pretty bad at picking the winners from the losers(Mitch Trubisky over Mahomes, lol). The "generational" picks seem to be pretty certain, but otherwise its been a crapshoot.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Luck was the only one who I was convinced there was a better chance he would be elite than not. Truly generational.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am They should've kept Fields and drafted MHJ. They may have had a shot.

I think you may have gone a bit extreme on the whole "avoid a young QB at all costs" mantra. They traded the #1 last year and missed out on a young QB to back Fields. He failed that test. Honestly, he had another chance at the end of the year to cement himself as a Bear by wrecking GB's season. He failed that test to the tune of 9 total points.

Trading him and drafting Williams is the right move.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 pm Luck was the only one who I was convinced there was a better chance he would be elite than not. Truly generational.
And he wasn't.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:15 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:42 pm Luck was the only one who I was convinced there was a better chance he would be elite than not. Truly generational.
And he wasn't.
Yep. Maybe he could have been, but he didn't.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

You have to be so bad to get the #1 pick. Obviously. The Bears are in such a unique position after trading it away last year. They have stockpiled picks and already have some really talented players. They were 7-10. It's a unique opportunity for an extremely quick turnaround for them by adding Williams and another top 10 player in one draft.

It sounds like they gave Fields some professional courtesy in letting him go to the Steelers. I can respect that. I don't think they've mishandled this situation at all.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doesn't matter what track record of previous #1 overall QBs is, if you as a GM or a HC or a Owner believe that Caleb Williams is going to be elite if he is put in a good situation and developed properly, you part ways with your bad QB that shows flashes every now and then, but cannot sustain good QB play for any meaningful stretch.

The Bears likely went with the best offer or something pretty close to it. Why would any team trade even a 4th for a QB that is guaranteed to hit the open market by end of 2024 season and will likely struggle to beat a Gardner Minshew or a Tyrod Taylor or a Jacoby Brisset all of whom could have been signed for a cheaper salary without a draft pick involved?

Also WTF does drafting MHJr do to a QB that stares at receivers running open and cannot throw with anticipation to save his job? Who cares if that receiver is Darnell Mooney or MHJr?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Well yeah.
If you are convince one way or the other you absolutely do what you must. I'm assuming positions of conflict in the FO.

Teams get convinced off a guy all the time. See Trey Lance. They get convinced into guys all the time too, again, see Trey Lance.

If you got convictions, go with them, its what you're here for. But if you don't. If you look at all these guys with objective suspicion and want to be methodical about it, that's an option as well.

This is assuming the position of someone being a Fields fan to begin with, which I never was. But if say it was a QB I do like like Tua or Herbert or even a revisioned Baker, who happen to have an injured year that led to the top pick, I'm stick with those guys over this class.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am My questing is what did he want? Did he want out of Fields or does he want to pivot to Caleb?
If he “wanted” fields, he must not have “wanted” a job anyway.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:44 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am My questing is what did he want? Did he want out of Fields or does he want to pivot to Caleb?
If he “wanted” fields, he must not have “wanted” a job anyway.
If Caleb Williams doesn't hit a HR in the 1st inning he'll be out of a job anyway..
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Chase Young to the Saints for one year and $13M.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The saints are what our fans think we are.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

49ers signing Josh Dobbs QB to one year deal. Championship? nahhh