Welcome back Jordan Whitehead

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BuccaNOLEer

Welcome back Jordan Whitehead

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Two year deal. IMO, he shouldn't have been allowed to leave. Now this team might be lacking at CB with Davis gone but they are set at safety
Phantom

Re: Welcome back Jordan Whitehead

Post by Phantom »

We all knew he's coming back.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Thank the lord. The safety spot beside Winfield has been a black hole since he left.
BearLandBucFan

Post by BearLandBucFan »

Rock solid move. Was sad when he left!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Middle aged white guy needs help interpreting what that means.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BearLandBucFan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:07 pm Rock solid move. Was sad when he left!
Agreed, same feeling.
Snake

Post by Snake »

How did he do while away from home
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:18 pm How did he do while away from home
Career highs in tackles and interceptions as a Jet.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:20 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:18 pm How did he do while away from home
Neal’s replacement I see.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:26 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:20 pm

Neal’s replacement I see.
It would appear.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I am glad Whitehead is coming home. He was an underrated player for us during our Superbowl run against both the run and pass.

A good player who we know can produce in this defense for about $10 million for two years? I like the way that sounds, and credit Licht for making it happen.

Moreover, this slides safety down the list of needs considerably. I'd still like to see a rookie at safety in the upcoming draft, but Whitehead returning drops this from a day 2 to a day 3 selection.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It came down to money and opportunities. Whitehead said in an interview that he didn't like being subbed out in favor of Mike Edwards in some situations. The Bucs also were not offering what the Jets were.
Most hated man in America.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

This has been a pretty good offseason so far. I'm really liking what we're doing.

Now all we need are some war daddys on both sides of the line and im 💯 happy with this offseason.

I'm also expecting to see D. White back on a much smaller contract than he thought he was worth.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Obsolete wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:59 pm This has been a pretty good offseason so far. I'm really liking what we're doing.

Now all we need are some war daddys on both sides of the line and im 💯 happy with this offseason.

I'm also expecting to see D. White back on a much smaller contract than he thought he was worth.
IMO, DW’s tenure ended much like Winston…they saved their worst for last.
Thank him, wish him well, but no chance in hell I want DW on this roster at all.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

So happy he's back. Watching many Jets games in prime time the last two seasons was a putrid experience, but our boy JW popped in every single one of those games at least a couple of times each game.

We may not be getting a technician at his position, but we definitely are getting back a playmaker.

To me this makes up for losing Carlton Davis. Our secondary is officially in a better spot than in 23.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

acmillis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:53 pm
Obsolete wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:59 pm This has been a pretty good offseason so far. I'm really liking what we're doing.

IMO, DW’s tenure ended much like Winston…they saved their worst for last.
Thank him, wish him well, but no chance in hell I want DW on this roster at all.
Oh trust me, I'm with you. Im not a fan of DW at all. Its just something i could see happening.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Devin White couldn’t be bothered to try when he was paid like a top 5 LB. Can’t imagine the lack of effort when he’s on a middling one year deal. No.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Very excited to watch him crunch some people again.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The best players to bring back are still the ones we developed.

We now have our super bowl tandem back. And no need to water the scheme down to bring him on like some other safeties....
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

Another great re-signing for the Bucs! JW and AWJ probably make the best safety tandem in the League. Certainly missed his presence for the Bucs the last couple of seasons. Swapping out JW for Davis is a great move for the D.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I would love a pure centerfielder. But I know those are pretty rare and expensive.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm I am glad Whitehead is coming home. He was an underrated player for us during our Superbowl run against both the run and pass.

A good player who we know can produce in this defense for about $10 million for two years? I like the way that sounds, and credit Licht for making it happen.

Moreover, this slides safety down the list of needs considerably. I'd still like to see a rookie at safety in the upcoming draft, but Whitehead returning drops this from a day 2 to a day 3 selection.
Why do you think we let Shaq go?
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:48 pm It came down to money and opportunities. Whitehead said in an interview that he didn't like being subbed out in favor of Mike Edwards in some situations. The Bucs also were not offering what the Jets were.
And now we know that we the Jets are not offering what we are.
I said what I said

Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

I think a lot of people under estimate Devin White's play coming off the bench. There was a very good article on PFF about how he played over the final games of the season. By taking him off the field on run downs he ended up in a much better position. He had a 90.5 coverage grade. White is better rushing the passer than Britt but has been one of the worst run defenders in the NFL. On my phone so can't share it but if you Google Tampa Bay x factor it will be the first pff article listed.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:24 pm
Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm I am glad Whitehead is coming home. He was an underrated player for us during our Superbowl run against both the run and pass.

Why do you think we let Shaq go?
Love the guy. True buc spirit. But age and injury surpassed the contract. Glad he got his bag when he could. Well earned. Wish him the best in Miami.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Onthebrink wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:21 pm I think a lot of people under estimate Devin White's play coming off the bench. There was a very good article on PFF about how he played over the final games of the season. By taking him off the field on run downs he ended up in a much better position. He had a 90.5 coverage grade. White is better rushing the passer than Britt but has been one of the worst run defenders in the NFL. On my phone so can't share it but if you Google Tampa Bay x factor it will be the first pff article listed.
The play of Britt in that article surprised me
Look no further than former fifth-round pick K.J. Britt. The third-year man out of Auburn started playing significant snaps in Week 14. While he’s almost certainly not the next coming of Bobby Wagner, Britt has been playing the type of fundamentally sound football that the Buccaneers needed.

Metric Total Rank*
Overall Grade 79.8 8th
Run-Defense Grade 76.3 19th
Run-Stop % 11.4% 11th
Missed Tackle % 4.5% 11th
*among qualified LBs

Britt, on an admittedly small sample size, has played like an above-average linebacker. His overall grade leads the team, while his run-defense grade leads all players in their front seven.

He’s also been adept in coverage, posting a 73.3 coverage grade while allowing only five catches for 40 yards across 83 coverage snaps.

As a result of Britt’s emergence, veteran stalwart Lavonte David has played his best football of the season, as well. Add it all up, and you have a linebacking corps that leads the league, by far, with an 84.2 overall grade since Week 14.

Britt’s willingness to play downhill in the run game has been the key. It’s not flashy, but he’s rarely out of position — a common problem for Devin White.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Onthebrink wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:21 pm I think a lot of people under estimate Devin White's play coming off the bench. There was a very good article on PFF about how he played over the final games of the season. By taking him off the field on run downs he ended up in a much better position. He had a 90.5 coverage grade. White is better rushing the passer than Britt but has been one of the worst run defenders in the NFL. On my phone so can't share it but if you Google Tampa Bay x factor it will be the first pff article listed.
I don't trust PFF farther than I can throw them, especially when it goes against what my eyes are telling me. But don't take my word for it; take Bowles'. When asked about priority free agents to resign at the combine, Bowles did not mention Devin White. Moreover, White was demoted to sub reps in the playoffs, which is pretty damning I feel. Fighting for a Superbowl, if Devin White was so good then why was he on the bench?

I don't trust Bowles about everything, but I trust his evaluation of defensive talent. And he and I are seemingly in agreement. Devin White is regressing to a JAG. Moreover, the rest of the NFL seems to agree with us both. Case in point; the man is still unsigned and his market seems cold at best.

I would be VERY surprised if Devin White returns to the Buccaneers. His star is declining, and I would argue it's declined enough that he may not have a starting job next season barring injury.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

PFF makes DVOA look like QBR. Pretty much only useful for confirmation bias.

I'm probably one of the bigger DW fanboys on here. I was banging the drum to draft him. And for moments he was everything we wanted, enough to be thought of as a top 5 LB by Ray Lewis.

I think watching Shaq get hurt messed him up. He's been playing like he's been expecting to get hurt and lose his bag since. Ironically it may have cost him his bag.

Part of me wishes he signs a huge deal with another team and gets his dream. Wish him the best. But if he finds the market cold, I'd definitely consider bringing him back on a reasonable deal. As others pointed out he was effective in limited time. He can definitely have a role here even if it's not the star center piece.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I really wish this “get the bag” nonsense would end. It’s all direct deposit. Nobody is getting a god damn bag.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:51 am I really wish this “get the bag” nonsense would end. It’s all direct deposit. Nobody is getting a god damn bag.
Check your lawn
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:51 am I really wish this “get the bag” nonsense would end. It’s all direct deposit. Nobody is getting a god damn bag.
Somebody hates metaphors :roll:
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This post takes the cake.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 am
This post takes the cake.
Nobody is taking a God damn cake.