MMA Thread:

Primeminister

Re: MMA Thread:

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:11 pm
Primeminister wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Also stop protecting fighters like MVP.
I lean to him not being great, but it's hard to tell until we see him fight someone good and willing to engage. He's quick and does crazy shit, but he's wildly inaccurate.

I honestly thought he lost against Lima. All but 1 of his knockdowns were just running into an off-balance Lima. He barely landed a punch... Lima was equally inpet outside if his 2 take downs and the 1 almost knockout.
MVP would get completely ragdolled in the UFC. The fancy shit doesn’t matter when you’re on your back or when you face a fighter with sound fundamentals.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Hilarious😂😂.

Fedor at 2 today on Showtime for those who don’t follow Bellator.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Kayla Harrison is a millionaire, again.

It’s not even close in competition.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Glover at 42 as the LHW(popular division known for scraps) champion is bad for the sport.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

This didn’t get a contract on DWCS. Dude was fighting on a bum ankle too.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Hey if anyone wants to watch UFC 268 tonight.

In that browser I want you to type the favorite drug of West Virginia and Pennsylvania into your stream(meth) and then the word streams. Then hit dot com.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

So judging is going to come into question in some of these championship fights at times...

I had Colby and Usman as a 47-47 draw. Colby taking 3 rounds while Usman 10-8'd him in the 2nd.

Thug Rose I had winning but not 4 rounds as the one judge had. Some of the criteria that the commentary crew is given should be allowed to the judges. The naked eye can be very deceptive. Plus when you have fighters slipping all over the damn canvas while it looks like they're taking massive shots... judges don't get to see the replay.

How good is Vera? Frankie shouldn't be fighting top 15 guys, but he was winning the fight prior to that epic front kick. Might be a better landing on the kick than Anderson/Belfort. Rocked his entire jaw into his brain.

Chandler/Gaethje was probably the greatest first round in the history of the sport. Both guys will suffer from this fight for the rest of their careers and we may never see either guy coming back the same way. Chandler has been in WARS over his career and I hope the UFC fans give him the proper respect he deserves. Dude was in zombie mode in the third round, he was throwing everything in the first round sooooo hard that I thought Justin was going out at any moment. Really solid chin on Justin. I really hope Oliveira keeps that belt for a while though, I respect that guy as champ.

I also had Billy Q winning the fight 2-1. He was more active and had cage control time. I can see why they gave it to Burgos, because of damage... but scoring a leg kick in the first round versus what the damage is in the third round is why scoring is dumb. Fights are something that happen over time, but it's impossible to score IMPACT when guys are so tough.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I had Usman taking 1 2, and 3 with 2 being a 10-8 round. 3 and 4 were so close they could have been draws. I only had Colby winning round 5 clearly, but not by much.

Usman won, pretty obviously. Thus isn't one that appears to be controversial. Most of Colby's punches barely hit.

Agreed about Rose judging.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:46 pm I had Usman taking 1 2, and 3 with 2 being a 10-8 round. 3 and 4 were so close they could have been draws. I only had Colby winning round 5 clearly, but not by much.

Usman won, pretty obviously. Thus isn't one that appears to be controversial. Most of Colby's punches barely hit.

Agreed about Rose judging.
Colby rocked him a couple of times, but not the damage that Usman had.

Really good card as a whole though for the sport. Waiting anxiously to see the buys on it.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Not mma related but not starting a fucking boxing thread:

Frank Gore(yes the runningback) is fighting Deron Williams(yes the Utah Jazz PG) in a 4 round boxing match. Frank Gore apparently turned down NFL offers for this.
nybf

Post by nybf »

These celebrity bum fights won't stop until one of them dies.
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:44 pm These celebrity bum fights won't stop until one of them dies.
Reminds me of an early 90's movie called Gladiator (not the Russell Crowe one) w/ Cuba Gooding Jr where Brian Dennehy's character (a shady underground boxing promoter) is telling someone what the appeal of watching boxing is for most people (someone might die).
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Frank Mir vs. Kubrat Pulev

Matt Mitrione vs. Alexander Flores

Mike Perry vs. Sakio Bika

Derek Campos vs. Brian Vera

Albert Tumenov vs. Scott Sigmon

Steven Graham vs. Henry Gigliotti

Alexa Culp vs. Angelina Hoffschneider

Triller’s Boxing V MMA card.

Frank’s my favorite MMA fighter of all time sans Benson Henderson. So hopefully he shows up.

Also on the subject of death in Boxing… it’s the reason casuals watch. Seeing someone die is traumatic for some, but most people are blood thirsty beyond belief.

I used to box in my basement for sport with a couple guys. We’d have 60-80 people in my tiny basement and have cards. We’d have ridiculous music entrances and all. The only thing I learned in my time doing this was that the people watching don’t give a fuck if you survive. I was once knocked down on a wicked left from a pro boxer’s son. I’ll never forget being loopy and hearing the reaction to the punch. Being the competitor in that situation is downright fucking awful too. No more humbling feeling than that. Even being homeless, nothing made me feel worse than that punch mentally.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Max Holloway is one of those guys that you just have to respect. Yair Rodriguez is a fucking warrior though.

The thing about Max is he doesn't throw punches to kill you. He's going to beat you by beautifully touching you. And you're going to be beaten down over time.

I don't know what you do in that featherweight division either, I'd like to see Max v. Alex again, but I don't know if Max can make the adjustments to beat Volk.

Bellator is a joke, and so is Cris Cyborg. Let her fight Kayla Harrison pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. I love Kayla Harrison's demeanor and style of fighting. She wants to finish every opponent. The only thing Cyborg has over her is elite striking, which can be mitigated by distance-closing and judo. Which Kayla does as well as anyone has ever in the history of the planet.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I wonder if Max Holloway will fight long enough for his chin to go.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Endeavor reported a profitable third quarter in 2021 with record numbers being produced by one of the company’s biggest assets in the UFC.

The now publicly traded company under Endeavor Group Holdings posted $1.4 billion in revenue for the quarter with a net income of $63.6 million, a huge swing from the pandemic-stricken 2020 where losses were at $21.8 million at this same time last year.

“We continue to capitalize on the elevated demand for premium content and live events coming out of the pandemic,” Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel said in a statement. “Given our unique positioning within the sports and entertainment industry and our ability to leverage powerful secular content trends, we see no signs of this momentum waning through the end of the year.”

When it comes to the UFC, the world’s biggest MMA promotion once again helped bolster Endeavor’s bottom line with another robust quarter driven by live events and pay-per-view sales.

The UFC reported revenue of $288 million for the quarter, which is actually down from 2020, but the figure is primarily due to a $25 million contract termination fee paid to the UFC last year that obviously did not repeat a year later. The UFC also saw an increase in revenue during the third quarter of 2020 due to the event schedule being pushed back to later in the year because of the global pandemic.

Overall, Endeavor touted the revenue generated by the UFC as the “best nine-month, year-to-date period in UFC history.”

In addition to the success the UFC has enjoyed this year, Endeavor also saw an increase in representation revenue, which is where the company started as a top talent agency across film, television, music. books and other markets.

As of Sept. 30, Endeavor had cash on hand of $1.029 billion, up from the previous quarter where the company had $869.9 million in cash on hand. When 2021 closes, Endeavor expects to see revenue to reach “between $4.89 and $4.95 billion.”
https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/11/15/ ... hs-history

So much for that UFC is dying phenomenon you all keep pitching.

Their parent company continually gaining cash is a good thing. Best 9 months in the history, should be expected at this point with the growth. Just saying that this year they’ve had how many events at the APEX as well that have lost fan revenue. Shows how much ESPN is paying them.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Good to see Jose Aldo still king of fighting...

Good to see leg kicks. Good to see him not fearful at all. I love Jose's career so much that I wish he could get a run back at McGregor but it'll never happen. Not often do guys drop down in weight in their older years. So I respect Aldo and Frankie Edgar's commitment to the sport greatly.

Also Fiziev is a monster. Love that dude.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Women’s MMA is mostly a joke. Definitely 135/145. Amanda Nunes was never good and I’m sorry for suggesting otherwise in the past. When your champ looks like that, and dominates 99% of fighters in a weight class…it’s a joke. Peña literally spammed a straight 1-2 including 5 straight lefts. Nunes didn’t even bother moving her head once. Nunes was just the most athletic dyke in a weak ass division.

/Pierson rant
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 am Women’s MMA is mostly a joke. Definitely 135/145. Amanda Nunes was never good and I’m sorry for suggesting otherwise in the past. When your champ looks like that, and dominates 99% of fighters in a weight class…it’s a joke. Peña literally spammed a straight 1-2 including 5 straight lefts. Nunes didn’t even bother moving her head once. Nunes was just the most athletic dyke in a weak ass division.

/Pierson rant
I’ve been on record saying it was the worst display of Championship level fighting I’ve ever seen. The boxing looked like something you’d see in a fight in a local bar, more than the best woman ever.

Peña, props given to her, was downright ugly with her leaning and swatting though. She handled the moment, and took the smile off of Amanda’s face. That’s something. But no way a woman with that level of striking should be champion. Kayla Harrison would RAGDOLL her.

Props to Oliveira on one hell of a performance. Quietly becoming my favorite fighter. He’s gotta learn English to be a true mega-star though. He’s got it all though, just how long can that chin last. These 155ers are BIG. And Rafael Fiziev is on his way to the belt.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:05 am

Props to Oliveira on one hell of a performance. Quietly becoming my favorite fighter. He’s gotta learn English to be a true mega-star though. He’s got it all though, just how long can that chin last. These 155ers are BIG. And Rafael Fiziev is on his way to the belt.
If he fights Gaethje like he did DP in the first round, he won't survive. Gaethje has more power and is far harder to take down, but he has 0 BJJ.

It's an interesting fight, but stylistically, I'd bet Gaethje is the pre-fight betting favorite.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:14 am
BJJ34 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:05 am

If he fights Gaethje like he did DP in the first round, he won't survive. Gaethje has more power and is far harder to take down, but he has 0 BJJ.

It's an interesting fight, but stylistically, I'd bet Gaethje is the pre-fight betting favorite.
I thought Chandler would KO Charles though, and he survived that. He’s entering an aura phase where he’s gonna be very hard to KO. Some guys will be trying too hard to set up the perfect punch.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Paul/Woodley 2 tonight… does anyone care?
Snake

Post by Snake »

No. Didn’t even know it was happening.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I'll probably buy Chimaev vs Covington.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Anyone else see the conspiracy of Jake Paul twisting his hand, Woodley responding with grabbing his shorts and then the KO shot coming with Woodley dropping his hands.

Also, was really rooting for Daukaus. Tired of the stale heavyweight division. And a Fireman versus a Cop would have been a dope storyline for a number one contender fight.

Instead we get Derrick Lewis continually being a top 5 heavyweight and his slow methodical style against top competition that results in piss poor fights.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah, clearly rigged.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:07 am Yeah, clearly rigged.
The Woodley fight was rigged? I didn’t watch it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 am
Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:07 am Yeah, clearly rigged.
I looked into it after BJJ posted above. Yeah, Paul was clearly signaling setting up the knockout.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 am
Primeminister wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 am

I looked into it after BJJ posted above. Yeah, Paul was clearly signaling setting up the knockout.
Oh damn. Headed to take a look now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Then Woodley drops his hands.

It’s pathetic but I can’t even be mad. If you’re dumb enough to bet on that match you don’t deserve to keep your money.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Jesus Christ, Giga took an ass whooping of epic levels last night and kept charging forward. He looked like a Villain in a horror movie at the end of a fight. Purely ripped apart. Kattar kept landing the counter elbow, and it was nasty.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Gane/Ngannou… what say you?

Gane is the better athlete, Ngannou has the KO power everywhere. Should be a fun scrap.

War Moreno too!
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BJJ34 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:30 pm Gane/Ngannou… what say you?

Gane is the better athlete, Ngannou has the KO power everywhere. Should be a fun scrap.

War Moreno too!
I think Gane wins by submission.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Before I see the results. I have Ngannou winning 3-2, but he had 0 power even into the first round.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I believe he had a torn mcl and an acl injury. That's why he didn't have his power. Game got exposed on.the ground.