The Tampa Bay Rays

Swashbuckler

Re: The Tampa Bay Rays

Post by Swashbuckler »

And as for open air vs retractable roof, the off the top of my head Lakeland Flying Tigers, Tampa Tarpons, Clearwater Threshers, Charlotte Stone Crabs and Dunedin Blue Jays are all relatively local teams that play in open air. If they can figure it out we can too. But if needs be, just schedule the Rays more away games in August and September. You'll save a ton of rainouts because the Rays will be on the road in arguably the rainiest months of the year and any championship team will see those road games post ASB as an opportunity to get ready to win it all. If you close out with 8-9 straight at home when the weather chills out in the 3rd week of September, exactly what do you have to complain about?

If you NEED a roof, get ballpark built and add the roof later. We're going on like year 15 of this "replace the Trop" nonsense. Get it done already.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:50 pm
In fact something you're ignoring is the fact that several MLB stadiums cannot accommodate 40k fans in a single game. That's including standing room.
Name them.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:07 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:50 pm
In fact something you're ignoring is the fact that several MLB stadiums cannot accommodate 40k fans in a single game. That's including standing room.
Name them.

PNC Park
Tropicana Field
Fenway Park
Kauffman Stadium
Progressive Field
Marlins Park
You mentioned that Target Field can get to 40k if they sell standing room only tickets. But they’ve only been open since 2010 and have already reduced seating capacity by 1000 seats.

Here’s a good article discussing the trend that started of putting fewer seats and fans in stadiums in favor of features and standout aspects.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... h_bk_i3nO6
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:06 pm
nybf wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:07 pm

Name them.

PNC Park Record attendance 40,889 (October 7, 2015)
Tropicana Field Capacity 42,735 (including tarp-covered seats)
Fenway Park Record attendance 47,627
Kauffman Stadium last remodel in 2012, hosted 40,657 October 5, 2014
Progressive Field Record attendance
45,274 (October 4, 1997; Division Series Game 5)

Marlins Park they've never had an event people want to see, so their record attendance is for a WBC game
You mentioned that Target Field can get to 40k if they sell standing room only tickets. But they’ve only been open since 2010 and have already reduced seating capacity by 1000 seats.
Every single one of the "several MLB stadiums cannot accommodate 40k fans in a single game. That's including standing room." ballparks have held 40k fans for baseball, with the exception of 1.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:42 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:06 pm

PNC Park Record attendance 40,889 (October 7, 2015)
Tropicana Field Capacity 42,735 (including tarp-covered seats)
Fenway Park Record attendance 47,627
Kauffman Stadium last remodel in 2012, hosted 40,657 October 5, 2014
Progressive Field Record attendance
45,274 (October 4, 1997; Division Series Game 5)

Marlins Park they've never had an event people want to see, so their record attendance is for a WBC game
Every single one of the "several MLB stadiums cannot accommodate 40k fans in a single game. That's including standing room." ballparks have held 40k fans for baseball, with the exception of 1.
And you're once again ignoring modifications made to those stadiums.

That record attendance you're bragging about for Fenway Park was achieved in 1935. Over the last 86 years, they've undergone several renovations. Your assertion that they can host 40k people actually goes against the Red Sox themselves, who say that Fenway can't host 40k people. Here you go.

https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/bal ... nway-park/

Progressive Field in 1997 had a seating capacity of 43,368. They've reduced that by almost 10,000. Not by placing tarps over seats but by actually reducing their seating in renovations done in 2015.

Kauffman, same deal. Renovations have reduced their capacity. PNC has had 1 game with 40k fans ever and have had renovations since then.

Marlins Park, it doesn't matter if people want to see events or not. They still wouldn't have the capacity to hold 40k.

Tropicana Field, yet another stadium that has undergone renovations that reduced their seating capacity, something you continue to ignore. A lot of those tarp covered seats have been removed. As has seats along the foul lines and outfield.

I honestly don't know why you're choosing to fight with MLB teams about how many fans their stadiums can hold today by posting attendance records from 6+ years ago. But this seems very important to you. Keep up the good fight my friend
nybf

Post by nybf »

As usual, you're trying to drag the discussion around to places it was never intended.

Back in 1912 there was no revenue sharing, so that point is moot. All these other parks, when they were built, held over 40k. If I was an owner and someone wanted to build an mlb stadium smaller than little league stadiums, I would object because I'm not OK with an owner planning for me to pay his bills. And that's all I said from the beginning.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:36 am As usual, you're trying to drag the discussion around to places it was never intended.

Back in 1912 there was no revenue sharing, so that point is moot. All these other parks, when they were built, held over 40k. If I was an owner and someone wanted to build an mlb stadium smaller than little league stadiums, I would object because I'm not OK with an owner planning for me to pay his bills. And that's all I said from the beginning.
And again you'd have no dog in the fight. Good talk. You learned nothing.
nybf

Post by nybf »

I learned that several = one.
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:36 am If I was an owner and someone wanted to build an mlb stadium smaller than little league stadiums, I would object because I'm not OK with an owner planning for me to pay his bills. And that's all I said from the beginning.
I get that, and it's a solid point. The Rays' current owner is that guy no matter what, but if we build a small stadium, then get new ownership and somehow 10 years from now people start flocking in, we can't be hamstrung by 50-year stadium that can't hold crap.

The problem the Rays face is the amount of far into the future speculation involved with that. They're moving the stadium with the thought that it will increase attendance almost immediately, but will it? And by how much? And if it does, will the ownership - whoever that might be - decide to reinvest and keep players around long enough for people to actually know who is on the team from year to year? And will that then lead to even more attendance?

It's a much easier sell to build a smaller place with better amenities, because that provides the promise of better short-term/immediate gains. So I guess that's the debate: Build for a quick uptick, or build for the potential long haul. A quick uptick would benefit those revenue sharing owners in the next few years, whereas the 30-years-from-now view might be outside their personal ownership lifespans.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Thank you MLB!
Dear Rays Fans,

For more than two decades, the Rays have proudly served as Tampa Bay’s hometown team, supporting our community and uplifting our growing region. Our priorities are to win baseball games and keep the team in Tampa Bay for generations to come.

Today’s news that MLB’s executive council has rejected our Sister City plan is painful. We had focused our full attention to that effort. We know that questions about our future in Tampa Bay will continue to surface, and there are no simple, immediate answers. What we can provide is our continued pledge to field winning teams, to invest in our community and to contribute to Tampa Bay being a great place to call home.

I am very grateful for the open-mindedness, support and encouragement we received from across Tampa Bay during our Sister City efforts. If we harness that momentum and build upon it, together we will keep the Rays here in Champa Bay for generation upon generation.

--Stuart Sternberg, Principal Owner
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

I don't know whether it's sad or ridiculous that it had to come to MLB intervening on behalf of fans and players alike that splitting a season between two cities was a horrible idea. Is there just some sort of innate lack of awareness on how this would affect people? That you're so disconnected as an owner you aren't fathoming that players and personnel alike would have to have two homes? Two schools for your children? Visas and the issues that come with them? Nevermind the differences on "the shot" *dun dun dun* between the US and Canada.

It might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard for professional sports and unless Stu is serious about getting this ballpark done he needs to just sell the damn team and let some other adult take over. It sounds to me like the city of Tampa is gonna play ball on this and as long as you don't piss everyone off, we can reasonably expect a green light on the project in about the next 365 days give or take. Or maybe it'll take longer.

Either way, I hope Tampa residents don't fuck this up either. You want a team, pay for the damn ballpark. People don't have $800 million just laying around under their beds
Kress

Post by Kress »

If you ask me, this was a well-executed slow-play. He proposed something preposterous, then kept pushing and pushing it. I mean, banners in the stadium during the playoffs? Repeated news conferences and projections and whatnot? He built the fear of something completely stupid so that we would arrive here: Celebrating getting back to square one.

As a Tampa Bay community, we have made no progress whatsoever. But do you know what he made yesterday feel like? A VICTORY! Hooray for us! We win! Ding, dong, the Montreal witch is dead!

No, no, no.... We did not win anything. We just returned to square one. But look at it: Stu just made us celebrate getting back to zero, so now it is our turn to make a concession and give him a little something. Negotiating 101, carried out as a long-term slow play by an experienced businessman.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Kress wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:39 pm If you ask me, this was a well-executed slow-play. He proposed something preposterous, then kept pushing and pushing it. I mean, banners in the stadium during the playoffs? Repeated news conferences and projections and whatnot? He built the fear of something completely stupid so that we would arrive here: Celebrating getting back to square one.

As a Tampa Bay community, we have made no progress whatsoever. But do you know what he made yesterday feel like? A VICTORY! Hooray for us! We win! Ding, dong, the Montreal witch is dead!

No, no, no.... We did not win anything. We just returned to square one. But look at it: Stu just made us celebrate getting back to zero, so now it is our turn to make a concession and give him a little something. Negotiating 101, carried out as a long-term slow play by an experienced businessman.
Nailed it.
Don't tread on me
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

We need another starting pitcher. Don't get me wrong, I like Baz, McClanahan and Glasnow (is he even going to be ready soon because he didn't have a total UCL tear?) and any time we can get a guy like Rassy on the hill but like.... we had no one to throw after game 1 vs Boston. I trust we can outscore our problems on a given day but that ain't lasting forever.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Swashbuckler wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:41 pm We need another starting pitcher. Don't get me wrong, I like Baz, McClanahan and Glasnow (is he even going to be ready soon because he didn't have a total UCL tear?) and any time we can get a guy like Rassy on the hill but like.... we had no one to throw after game 1 vs Boston. I trust we can outscore our problems on a given day but that ain't lasting forever.
I agree, did we get Chris Archer back from the Piratesa? Is he in starting rotation? Last I check, he was in bullpen
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:08 pm
Swashbuckler wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:41 pm We need another starting pitcher. Don't get me wrong, I like Baz, McClanahan and Glasnow (is he even going to be ready soon because he didn't have a total UCL tear?) and any time we can get a guy like Rassy on the hill but like.... we had no one to throw after game 1 vs Boston. I trust we can outscore our problems on a given day but that ain't lasting forever.
I agree, did we get Chris Archer back from the Piratesa? Is he in starting rotation? Last I check, he was in bullpen
I don't think he stayed healthy long enough to really be designated for anything. I'd welcome him back in a limited capacity because I'm worried about whether or not he's damaged goods
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:46 pm What do you guys think?

https://theathletic.com/3185173/2022/03 ... e-freeman/
At this point I'd just rejoice if we signed another pitcher. Nelson Cruz was easy enough to bring back and we still goofed that up
These Are The Days

DAMN IT! Stop fucking with the team!
Kress

Post by Kress »

But it always works.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Getting excited for an AL East threepeat. Anyone going to opening day?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Kress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:59 am Anyone going to opening day?
I was going to say "probably a bunch of visiting fans," but the O's?
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:49 am
Kress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:59 am Anyone going to opening day?
I guarantee.... Yankee fans will be in the house.
Kress

Post by Kress »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:35 am
nybf wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:49 am

No idea how many Rays games I went to while still in the area but it did always seem like they opened with the O's.

The only team with zero shot of winning this year.

Which means they'll win 95.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sweep!

Coming up next: Oakland A’s
These Are The Days

The smartest thing this front office has ever done was sign Franco to that pitiful sum of money (like $3 million) when he was like 15. We need to build this damn ballpark already so we can keep him for his career. I'm serious
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 pm The smartest thing this front office has ever done was sign Franco to that pitiful sum of money (like $3 million) when he was like 15. We need to build this damn ballpark already so we can keep him for his career. I'm serious
Pretty sure he just signed an 8ish year deal for reasonable money this offseason
Kress

Post by Kress »

161-1

We'll rest starters and set the rotation at the end.
These Are The Days

acmillis wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:11 am
These Are The Days wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 pm The smartest thing this front office has ever done was sign Franco to that pitiful sum of money (like $3 million) when he was like 15. We need to build this damn ballpark already so we can keep him for his career. I'm serious
Pretty sure he just signed an 8ish year deal for reasonable money this offseason
He did and left a tremendous amount of money on the table. It's a brutally small sample size for his career but Franco's got to be worth twice as much as the $185 million deal he signed for. Again, the Rays need to stop messing around and build this ballpark already. Meanwhile I'm guessing tonight's attendance at 9,000 and taking the under. He will put butts in the seats every night for as long as he plays here.

I'm optimistic this will be a great year as long as Josh Lowe can develop into an effective replacement for Meadows from an offensive standpoint
Kress

Post by Kress »

Kress wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:15 pm 161-1

So, here's the 1.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:54 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:11 am

He did and left a tremendous amount of money on the table. It's a brutally small sample size for his career but Franco's got to be worth twice as much as the $185 million deal he signed for. Again, the Rays need to stop messing around and build this ballpark already. Meanwhile I'm guessing tonight's attendance at 9,000 and taking the under. He will put butts in the seats every night for as long as he plays here.

I'm optimistic this will be a great year as long as Josh Lowe can develop into an effective replacement for Meadows from an offensive standpoint
Those two statements are contradictory, no?
These Are The Days

acmillis wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:00 am
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Those two statements are contradictory, no?
He'll put butts in seats in Tampa. No one shows up in St. Pete. I guessed 9,000 and took the under and it was 9,100 yesterday. Meh
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

WOW worth the watch to see the build up

These Are The Days

Kress wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:24 pm
Kress wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:15 pm 161-1

So, here's the 1.
Always comes against Oakland too it seems. That's a match that's always good for a stinker or one that makes you want to yank your hair out

Great win last night though. As long as we can out-hit our problems (just) sometimes we'll have a great year