OJ Howard

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

OJ Howard

Post by Defense5599 »

This guy clearly has not lived up to his billing as a first round pick. He’s flashed potential in games but has finished every season on IR. This year, he’s had a chance to step up in Gronk’s absence and has failed to do so. His rookie contract is up at the end of this year.

The question is, do you bring him back at a decent salary or move on from him? I say move on. Brady has maybe one more year left after this and I can see Gronk coming back for that one more year. Brate is a solid #2. The beauty is the 2022 draft class is deep with tight ends, and I mean DEEP. The Bucs could snag a Pro Bowl caliber tight end in the third or even fourth round to learn under Gronk next year then unleash in 2023.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
nybf

Re: OJ Howard

Post by nybf »

Who?
Backside

Post by Backside »

Hopefully someone pays him something half decent based on 5 year old potential. He’s a walking comp pick at this point.
Kress

Post by Kress »

????
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:51 pm Hopefully someone pays him something half decent based on 5 year old potential. He’s a walking comp pick at this point.
That “potential” dates back to 2013 when he got to Bama. It’s always been the coaches fault. Only took 9 years for people to realize that he ain’t it. And even still he has apologists.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I like OJ Howard, and if I ever see him out and about I'll be happy to buy the man a beer, thank him for being on the team, and talk ball.

But I think his time on our team is done after this year. We are going to have to make some hard choices with our available cap space next off-season, and OJ Howard is likely not a top priority.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Cheb wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm I like OJ Howard, and if I ever see him out and about I'll be happy to buy the man a beer, thank him for being on the team, and talk ball.

But I think his time on our team is done after this year. We are going to have to make some hard choices with our available cap space next off-season, and OJ Howard is likely not a top priority.
I think some of us are just a bit dumbfounded as to WHY he just doesn't have it. We drafted him, expecting something like the Raider's Darren Waller, only to end up with a poor man's Raider's Doug Jolley.

He has performed, just not on the level expected of him.

Let him go.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Moozician wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm I like OJ Howard, and if I ever see him out and about I'll be happy to buy the man a beer, thank him for being on the team, and talk ball.

I think some of us are just a bit dumbfounded as to WHY he just doesn't have it. We drafted him, expecting something like the Raider's Darren Waller, only to end up with a poor man's Raider's Doug Jolley.

He has performed, just not on the level expected of him.

Let him go.
He had a stretch when he was amazing, both blocking and receiving. PFF had him rated as the best TE in the NFL prior to his injury, which even the biggest fans of him thought was an exaggeration, but he's been often injured, has less than reliable hands, and he's not ascended to what looked like would be dominant blocking.

We have to field TEs next year, but I don't have a desire to keep him.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

OJ Howard was probably the worse wasted first round pick the Buccaneers have made in the last ten years. [edited after it was pointed out that without the first round part the take was very off base]
Last edited by 13F11B on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kress

Post by Kress »

As was noted, the depth at that position in this year's draft will likely make him a cap casualty, if nothing else. We can get the same (or better) production from a cheaper guy we can keep longer.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:40 pm OJ Howard was probably the worse wasted pick the Buccaneers have made in the last ten years.
Bad take.

He's started 44 games and scored 15 TDs while providing above average blocking.

It's not hard to list players that were worse picks.

VHIII was far worse.

There can be an argument for Winston and Aguayo...probably others if I think about it.

That doesn't mean it was a good pick.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:45 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:40 pm OJ Howard was probably the worse wasted pick the Buccaneers have made in the last ten years.
Bad take.

He's started 44 games and scored 15 TDs while providing above average blocking.

It's not hard to list players that were worse picks.

VHIII was far worse.

There can be an argument for Winston and Aguayo...probably others if I think about it.

That doesn't mean it was a good pick.
I forgot a keyword but your VHIII mention applies. I meant to say worse first-round pick... VHIII is at least as bad as OJ Howard.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:49 pm

I forgot a keyword but your VHIII mention applies. I meant to say worse first-round pick... VHIII is at least as bad as OJ Howard.
Exponentially worse. He was picked 11th and didn't even make it 4 years here.

He was terrible.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I don't hate pro athletes. I think it's very weird and shows some kind of odd resentment. That said, Vernon Hargreaves would be my #1 hated player in all sports. He just was a bad bad football player that was way too cocky for his own good. Plus that weed video also showed he was an idiot. He was a much worse selection than OJ, and I argued with many over the OJ pick.

@mdb1958 knows what I'm talking about.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm and I argued with many over the.....
No way.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:32 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm and I argued with many over the.....
No way.
Yes way and many of you told me he'd be a star while I said he was overrated.
Bootz2004 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 pm I don't like Howard as a prospect. His athleticism far outweighs his production on the field. Because he's from Bama and has good skills and size he'll go higher than he should.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Whooooosh
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

135 yards over ten games, iirc.

Can he run backwards? We might need a backup safety the way the secondary has been hurt.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

At this point his draft position is kind of irrelevant, he didn't choose when to get drafted anyway so how can we hold that against him??

The question is simply is he a good TE and where does the team set his value?? They will assign him a value and offer something in that area and he will either sign or go see what the market values him at....

I don't dislike him in the slightest
nybf

Post by nybf »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:29 pm PFF had him rated as the best TE in the NFL prior to his injury
Oh?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Selmon Rules wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm
The question is simply is he a good TE
No, he's not.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:27 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:29 pm PFF had him rated as the best TE in the NFL prior to his injury
Oh?
Reason 51360 PFF is shit
MJW

Post by MJW »

Selmon Rules wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm At this point his draft position is kind of irrelevant, he didn't choose when to get drafted anyway so how can we hold that against him??

The question is simply is he a good TE and where does the team set his value?? They will assign him a value and offer something in that area and he will either sign or go see what the market values him at....

I don't dislike him in the slightest
This is a sound perspective.

It seems unlikely he'll ever make good on his insane physical potential and draft status. As we used to lament with Jameis, after 5 years, you is what you is.

But at this point, you're asking what he *can* do. That list would include, at least, that he's a plus blocker and he has the speed from the TE position to alter coverages. That's not nothing.

I would take him back simply for the first part. There simply aren't many tight ends who are above-average blockers AND can at least demonstrate a threat (even an inconsistent one) in the passing game.

More likely, some GM that loved him at Alabama will pay him "Maybe the Bucs were the problem" money and the book will be closed.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:26 pm More likely, some GM that loved him at Alabama will pay him "Maybe the Bucs were the problem" money and the book will be closed.
And with this team's luck and past history, he will ball out for his new team.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Licht drafted OJ for Dirk Koetter. He was a featured part of that offense and it showed in his second year. With Arians the TE is an afterthought.

Gronk produces because Tom targets him specifically in spite of Arians.

OJ should sign somewhere else that will feature him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think that 70 yard touchdown a few years back made us think he was something he’s not. At the time I remember thinking “we have a game breaker on our hands.” When I look at it now, it’s not like he did anything special. He’s not a particular fluid athlete. The Eagles missed a few tackles took some bad angles and he just kind of ran fast in a straight line. His touchdowns in college look the same way.

Fluidity as an athlete. IQ. Functional strength and leverage. These are important things. It’s why Gronk is GOAT and OJ Howard is just a guy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:29 am I think that 70 yard touchdown a few years back made us think he was something he’s not. At the time I remember thinking “we have a game breaker on our hands.” When I look at it now, it’s not like he did anything special. He’s not a particular fluid athlete. The Eagles missed a few tackles took some bad angles and he just kind of ran fast in a straight line. His touchdowns in college look the same way.

Fluidity as an athlete. IQ. Functional strength and leverage. These are important things. It’s why Gronk is GOAT and OJ Howard is just a guy.
The long TD catch & runs he had in Bama's National Championship games are what opened people's eyes to him. The issue is they expected that to be the norm for him when clearly if you studied his entire body of work you'd see an opportunist more than an actual playmaker.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:03 pm Anyone have insight on Dropsie Howard's Kung Flu Card?
You must be getting bored with only MB to talk to all day. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I honestly want to move on, but if he’s willing to re-sign on a cheap one year deal then I’m okay with it. Regardless we need to strongly consider drafting a TE if the option is available next spring. Gronk could either retire or sign elsewhere and Brate isn’t the same guy he was a few years ago. This team needs a new prospect at that position. Preferably one to develop behind Gronk if we can re-sign him.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:59 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm

You must be getting bored with only MB to talk to all day. :lol:
You can fuck off too. No one cares about your brats or grandkids... fucking fake ass Librarian
:lol:
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 am The long TD catch & runs he had in Bama's National Championship games are what opened people's eyes to him. The issue is they expected that to be the norm for him when clearly if you studied his entire body of work you'd see an opportunist more than an actual playmaker.
Ugh - Salt in wound. He torched us that game, and it was more than one play. He only had like 5-6 catches, but he went for over 200 yards and a couple of scores, if I remember right. The game easily could have and should have gone Clemson's way, but every time freaking OJ touched the ball, it was a back-breaker. That's what jumped off the screen at people. He just kept being "that guy." Like Ricky Proehl over and over and over again.

I also remember a few were nothing more than blown coverages, but there was one in particular - I think it was a TE screen - where he looked like a man among boys. That might be the one you're talking about.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:46 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 am The long TD catch & runs he had in Bama's National Championship games are what opened people's eyes to him. The issue is they expected that to be the norm for him when clearly if you studied his entire body of work you'd see an opportunist more than an actual playmaker.
Ugh - Salt in wound. He torched us that game, and it was more than one play. He only had like 5-6 catches, but he went for over 200 yards and a couple of scores, if I remember right. The game easily could have and should have gone Clemson's way, but every time freaking OJ touched the ball, it was a back-breaker. That's what jumped off the screen at people. He just kept being "that guy." Like Ricky Proehl over and over and over again.

I also remember a few were nothing more than blown coverages, but there was one in particular - I think it was a TE screen - where he looked like a man among boys. That might be the one you're talking about.
No it was definitely the blown coverages. I remember specifically everytime he caught the ball, with the exception of the screen you're referring to at the end of the game, Herbstreet said either "wide open" or "blown coverage". Something like that.

Even that screen, he didn't break a ton of tackles, he just out ran everybody. I believe Alexander, who was your best DB was out that game as well and his replacement missed the tackle on OJ.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Disappointing OJ didn't step up while Gronk was out.

While I was big on the Cook wagon that year I understood the OJ pick and it's right in like with Jason Litch philosophy and drafting big talent and betting on your coaches to finish the mold. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to have worked with OJ. Welp. They can't all be hits.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Was OJ even active Sunday?
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:04 am Was OJ even active Sunday?
$6 million man played 6 snaps