Announcement

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MCMLXXVI

Announcement

Post by MCMLXXVI »

Hi there. I'm your friendly neighborhood Administrator Extraordinaire; and I'm here to talk to you. Yes, you.

So kick your companion out, pour a drink, shut the door, pull that recline lever and let's have a chat.

It's been a helluva week or so for the UTBBBBBB community. We learned that BucZone is dying. A group of folks were proactively trying to figure out how to keep it alive, another group was working on a third party solution, and yet another member swooped in like Antione Winfield Junior on a zone blitz - and here we are.

On behalf of the entire Admin/Mod team - thank you. Thank you for being here. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you with a forum that understands and respects the history of this community and strives every day to improve upon the foundations laid over so many years.

To get it out of the way quickly and painlessly - this will be a low moderation forum. Years of experience prove that this community can and will police itself. So breathe a sigh of relief. No heavy handed, power hungry, authoritarian rule will be accepted here. And the Admin/Mod team will be approachable and accessible for anything. That's it. That's the sentence. The Admin/Mod team will be approachable and accessible for anything, from anyone. Zero favoritism.

We are aware that there are some features that previous boards have that this one does not, and we are working very hard to provide all of the requested whizbangs and doodads. It's a process. It's not being ignored. It will happen. We are actively engaged in making sure itsabucslife.com will be the best discussion forum website for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the world.

Respectfully Yours,
The Management
King Bootz

Re: Announcement

Post by King Bootz »

Gamer Dark is amazing!
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Have we figured out how much it would cost to buy the It's a Buc's Life trademark which the Buccaneers have let lapse? Can we help cover this? Having a trademark troll somewhere see our site, buy the trademark and demand a hefty ransom for using the IATB so that we have to start over AGAIN is not a happy scenario.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Very good.
Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Awesome, thank you for making the new site. I’m more of a lurker and always have been, but I’ve been reading posts from some of y’all going back 20 years.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Xandtar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:34 am Have we figured out how much it would cost to buy the It's a Buc's Life trademark which the Buccaneers have let lapse? Can we help cover this? Having a trademark troll somewhere see our site, buy the trademark and demand a hefty ransom for using the IATB so that we have to start over AGAIN is not a happy scenario.
Filing a trademark for your business name with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) will cost between $225 and $600, plus legal fees. You can register with most states for $50-$150 if you don't want protection outside your state.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hmm. Not cheap, but we’d be screwed if they claimed the trademark.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Snake wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:37 pm Hmm. Not cheap, but we’d be screwed if they claimed the trademark.
I doubt they give a fuck.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

PetePierson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 pm
Rocker wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:26 pm

I doubt they give a fuck.
Malcom made The Pooter Report change their name.
Never heard of this. What was the original name?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

PetePierson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Never heard of this. What was the original name?
Buccaneers Report. This was in ‘97, I think.
Wow. Yep I can understand the request to change the name
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Would of been 12 lawyers walking into the courtroom.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Rocker wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:25 pm
Xandtar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:34 am Have we figured out how much it would cost to buy the It's a Buc's Life trademark which the Buccaneers have let lapse? Can we help cover this? Having a trademark troll somewhere see our site, buy the trademark and demand a hefty ransom for using the IATB so that we have to start over AGAIN is not a happy scenario.
Filing a trademark for your business name with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) will cost between $225 and $600, plus legal fees. You can register with most states for $50-$150 if you don't want protection outside your state.
I can chip in $25. Between the bunch of us this should be doable.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Serious question, folks.

There's a plug in I can install that allows for donations to a PayPal account. It could be used for serious things like this. Also, fun stuff like an itsabucslife.com fantasy champion trophy, forum contests for Bucs swag, things like that.

I'd like to hear opinions.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Hmm… Can the donations be funneled to specific causes? Because some folks might not like donating to a generic fund where the money can be used for anything. In other words, they might be okay with donating to keep the lights on, but have no interest in donating to fund a fantasy champ trophy.

And how would the donations be accounted for?
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 pm Hmm… Can the donations be funneled to specific causes? Because some folks might not like donating to a generic fund where the money can be used for anything. In other words, they might be okay with donating to keep the lights on, but have no interest in donating to fund a fantasy champ trophy.

Agree.

Another board I frequent has specific drives on occasion. With a meter that tracks total donations, etc.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 pm Hmm… Can the donations be funneled to specific causes? Because some folks might not like donating to a generic fund where the money can be used for anything. In other words, they might be okay with donating to keep the lights on, but have no interest in donating to fund a fantasy champ trophy.

There should be functionality for that.

If not, I can turn the extension on and off and make an announcement for fundraising particulars.

Again, this is just a thought. I have and will continue to make changes based on community desires.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don't expect anyone to do anything for free so I have no problem with donating.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Snake wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 pm I don't expect anyone to do anything for free so I have no problem with donating.
I speak for the entire admin team when I say we appreciate that sentiment; but we're not doing this for any reason other than we want to. You jokers have provided me with untold hours of entertainment. It's the least I can do to pay that back by working on this site.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Rocker wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:39 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 pm I don't expect anyone to do anything for free so I have no problem with donating.
I speak for the entire admin team when I say we appreciate that sentiment; but we're not doing this for any reason other than we want to. You jokers have provided me with untold hours of entertainment. It's the least I can do to pay that back by working on this site.
Rocker has been doing the heavy lifting with the site build, but I second this.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Is this where we donate?
Roach On My Pizza

Post by Roach On My Pizza »

I've joined, tread carefully

Yep
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don’t know about that name. I like eating and posting.
MCMLXXVI

Post by MCMLXXVI »

This is the admin team sending all of you big love. Thanks for being here.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Is there a way to change my view of what the board looks like- i.e can I switch views? Orange affects me viscerally lol
I said what I said

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:27 pm Is there a way to change my view of what the board looks like- i.e can I switch views? Orange affects me viscerally lol
Yeah, we've got the default view (prosilver) a dark view (prosilver dark edition (black/grey/blue) GamerDark (black/grey/orange) and Stasis-Leak (a bright, minimalist team color theme). All of these can be accessed from the user control panel under the board preferences tab.

All of these themes are a work in progress with various stages of completion.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:27 pm Is there a way to change my view of what the board looks like- i.e can I switch views? Orange affects me viscerally lol
Yeah, click on your username>user control panel>board preference>scroll down to dark theme
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

It would be cool as hell to hit 100 users before kick off.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Rocker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:21 am It would be cool as hell to hit 100 users before kick off.
It’ll happen.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Rocker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:21 am It would be cool as hell to hit 100 users before kick off.
can i bi-post?
Snake

Post by Snake »

SaggyBallZ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:36 pm
can i bi-post?
Jason Bourne knows all about posting while Bi.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:38 pm
SaggyBallZ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:36 pm

can i bi-post?
Jason Bourne knows all about posting while Bi.
Once you have the operation it’s not considered Bi anymore.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Phantom wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:13 am
Yeah, click on your username>user control panel>board preference>scroll down to dark theme
Thank you and bless you for that!
I said what I said

MCMLXXVI

Post by MCMLXXVI »

Hi again, everyone. If a bot, spammer, or scammer makes it through the filters, please do not respond to the created thread, just report it; and it will be dealt with as quickly as possible. Thank you and go Buccs.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I asked an attorney acquaintance of mine that is a trademark attorney what it would take to get a trademark i.e its a Bucs life- I am sure some attorneys are less expensive some are probably more but this is the process or at least what emailed back to me:

Good Afternoon,

I would be happy to help. Would you like us to research the availability of the mark to see if it is available for your use and/or registration? It might not be available even if the federal application or registration that was filed for it has abandoned or cancelled, because in the United States trademark rights can be acquired through use in addition to registration. Our search fees are $600-$800 and include a written report and recommendation with a percentage chance at obtaining a registration. You are not required to research the availability of a mark before filing an application, but it is a good idea from a risk management standpoint.

If you would like to skip that step and just apply, our filing fees for a one Class (i.e., type of product or service), based on use application are $1,100, which includes the $250-$350 USPTO filing fees per Class. Subsequent filing fees will vary, but for a smooth prosecution, you can budget about $500 for a use based application and $1,000 for an intent to use based application if the mark is put into use during the first year or so after filing.

You do not have to use a mark prior to filing an application. However, generally speaking, an applicant in the U.S. cannot obtain a federal registration until it is using the mark in the U.S. If the application is based on your intent to use the mark, it will be necessary for you to commence use of the mark in connection with the goods/services and file a Statement of Use and a specimen of that use with the USPTO confirming such use before a mark will register. Use is defined as making interstate or international sales/distributions of the products/services under the mark in the ordinary course of trade.

If it takes more than, say, a year for you to commence use of a trademark in question (which is how long it will probably take for the trademark to go through the examination process), you will need to file a six-month extension of time to file the Statement of Use. The USPTO fees are $125 per Class for each extension of time and $100 per Class for each Statement of Use, and our fees are $400 for the Statement of Use and $300 per extension. Ultimately, we can keep an intent to use application alive for around four years from the date of filing before it will abandon if not put into use.

It usually takes about a year for the trademark to achieve registration or allowance if all goes smoothly – it will be about 6-7 months after filing before the application is assigned to an examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. After that, there may be initial and final office actions with six-month response periods, then a 30-day publication period if the issues are successfully addressed, and, if no oppositions are filed, registration for use-based applications and allowance for intent to use-based applications.

Happy to discuss if it would be helpful! Otherwise, to proceed with a search or application, kindly let us know what products or services are of interest and the name of the person/entity you would like to own the application. Thank you!
I said what I said

Snake

Post by Snake »

Wow. Thanks for doing that.