Ichabod's Off-Season Journal

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IchabodCrane84

Ichabod's Off-Season Journal

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

February 14th 2022:
So, the Super Bowl is over and even though we still have the Pro Bowl to go, it’s time to start looking toward next year. Actually, I just Googled it. It appears the Pro Bowl already happened. That’s weird. Can’t believe I missed that spectacle. Guess with the Olympics starting next Sunday they didn’t want to take viewership away from that.

Just remember, I’m nobody, I’m not Nobody. My analysis does not consist of any tape review, knowledge of college football, but I do understand what offsides is… in football at least. Soccer and hockey still have me confused.

Anyway, let’s take a look at our current roster and see what talent we have.

Quarterback
Kyle Trask – Starting material: Unknown. He’s the only one on the roster and I don’t think he was even spotted on the sideline last year. At least Josh Rosen was watching from empty stands in 2020.

Running Back
Ke’Shawn Vaughn – Starting material: No. I mean we were starting Peyton Barber not too long ago. We were also going 7-9 consistently.
Kenjon Barner – Starting material: No. Writing this up, I just learned his name is Barner and not Varner.

Wide Receiver
Mike Evans – Chance for an AB type distraction: As long as Trask doesn’t poke anyone in the back of the head we’re good.
Scotty Miller – Starting material: No. If he makes it into the starting lineup… No if a Starting Lineup is made of him it be the first anatomically correct one.
Jaelon Darden – Starting material: No. He had that one punt return though!
Tyler Johnson – Starting material: No. Godwin’s potential came to fruition in his third season, but Godwin had flashes of brilliance in his first two.
Breshad Perriman – Starting material: No. But without Godwin, there’s no one to get in his way.
Cyril Grayson – Starting material: Maybe. I’d say the most improved of these back-end receivers from 2020 to 2021. Seeing him in the slot position next year could be a possibility.

Tight End
Cameron Brate – Starting material: Yes. With so many needs, I see the tight end position getting ignored and a rise again will be Brate.

Offensive Tackle
Tristan Wirfs – Chance for a Kenyatta Walkusback nickname: Tristan Whiffs is there.
Donovan Smith – Chance for a contract restructure: Licht did write in a “If you retire Brady” clause.

Offensive Guard
Ali Marpet – Chance he becomes the Bucs best all time Guard: Already happened.
Sadarius Hutcherson – Starting material: Coming off an ACL injury, I’ll go with no.
Nick Leverett – Starting material: Not yet.
John Molchon – Starting material: mdb says yes, so no.

Center
Robert Hainsey – Starting material: It’s Trask, so yes.
Donell Staley – Starting material: No, but you can never have too many centers.

Defensive Tackle
Vita Vea – Chance for an offensive TD: We’ve had what? One flea flicker per year under Arians? Not looking good.
Nacho – If we’re using Vita Vea’s nickname, might as well use Nacho’s as well.
Kobe Smith – Starting material: He was a fourth-team all-Mountain West performer, so no.
Willington Prevlion – Starting material: He’s Willington do it, but no.

Outside Linebacker/Defensive End
Shaquil Barrett – Chance of breaking the NFL sack record: In a 20-game season.
Joe Tryon-Shoyinka – Starting material: You’re damn right.
Anthony Nelson – Starting material: He developed into who we needed him to be last year. Rotational.
Cam Gill – Starting material: I was surprised this guy was still on the roster. Kept thinking 49 was 45 out there.
Baked Potato – Starting material: No. He’s cooked.
Elijah Ponder – Starting material: No. Don’t ponder on this too long.

Linebacker
Devin White – Chance he’ll lose his starting job: Careful, you know what happens to horse’s not in a Budweiser commercials when they break their leg.
Lavonte David – Chance of a decline: He’ll play longer than Derrick Brooks.
Grant Stuard – Chance of a haircut: No, he does not take advice from Riley Bullough.
KJ Britt – Chance of replacing Kevin Minter: Yes, please.

Cornerback
Sean Murphy-Bunting – Chance of a name or number change: He’s done both, trying to confuse us when he has bad play.
Jamel Dean – Chance of him becoming elite: Just watch how confused this guy will get if you ask him if Goofy is a dog or a cow.
Ross Cockrell – Cutting material: Absolutely.
Rashard Robinson – Starting material: I can see this guy getting railroaded by Christian McCaffery and RR becoming an appropriate set of initials.
Dee Delaney – Starting material: We all want DD to be bigger, but no.

Safety
Antoine Winfield Jr. – If there’s a chance for another Super Bowl, there’s a chance for peace.
Mike Edwards – Starting material: He’s no Whitehead, but I’d take him.
Chris Cooper – Starting material: Loved him in American Beauty, but no, too old.
Troy Warner – Starting material: I say Kurt Warner’s son has a chance to start for any NFL team. This is not Kurt Warner’s son.

Kicker
Ryan Succop – Is there still a curse: Last two Super Bowl champion kickers were or are on the Buccaneers.
Jose Borregales – Practice squad protected again next year, gotta watch out for the Borregales variant.

Punter
Bradley Pinion – Chance of getting cut: That’s out of bounds territory.

Our Free Agents: Brady’s retirement changes things a bit. You can go in a couple of different directions. I say if we’re going to role with Trask, lets re-sign the line and get an onslaught of running backs. I used to be able to re-sign everyone in Madden ’04 and get the best free agents, so this should be easy.
Chris Godwin – Re-sign as top priority.
Carlton Davis – Re-sign as #2 priority.
Aaron Stinnie – Re-sign him or Cappa as #3 priority
Alex Cappa – Re-sign him or Stinnie as #3 priority.
Ryan Jensen – Re-sign as #4 priority.
Gio Bernard – Re-sign as #5 priority.
William Gholston – Re-sign as #6 priority.
Blaine Gabbert – Re-sign as a low priority, my heart wants Griff.
Andrew Adams – Re-sign as low priority.
Zach Triner – Re-sign as a low priority. LS is a vital but easy to fill position.
Jordan Whitehead – Toughest decision to let walk. If re-signed we don’t re-sign Mike Edwards next year.
JPP – If he doesn’t retire, we can’t afford him.
Suh – Let him test the market. If he wants to come back after that and we have money left, I wouldn’t be against it.
Gronk – Frankenstein walk and Gronk spike farewell to a fun two tuddies, I mean years.
Leonard Fournette – It’s not that I don’t want to re-sign Fournette.
OJ Howard – OJH can go the way of ASJ.
Ryan Griffin – 18 career yards and a Super Bowl ring.
Ronald Jones – Good luck out there, don’t worry Dirk Koetter is retired.
Richard Sherman – Let walk, he’ll probably injury himself doing so.
Kevin Minter – No shame. You filled in admirably when you had to.
Josh Wells – You were better than Joe Haeg.
Steve McLendon – Thanks for taking the car ride up here.
Curtis Riley – I don’t even know who this dude is.
Pat O’Connor – As much as I love him, he can be replaced.

Starting Roster before free agency and draft:
QB - Trask
RB – Vaugh/Bernard
WR – Evan/Godwin/Grayson
OT – Wirfs/Smith
OG – Marpet/Cappa or Stinnie
C - Jensen
DT – Vea/Nacho/Gholston
OLB/DE – Barrett/Tryon
LB – White/David
CB – Davis/Dean/SMB
S – Winfield/Edwards
K - Succop
P – Pinion

After the Alvin Kamara incident, the Bucs did become the quickest team to clinch a division in NFL history, so overall not a bad offseason so far. Obviously, a lot rides on the quarterback decision. Seems a little foolish to write something up now, but I’ll update as we go. I won’t say weekly or even monthly, but when there’s enough jokes to make.
Phantom

Re: Ichabod's Off-Season Journal

Post by Phantom »

Great read. I shudder to think Trask is the starter.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’ll take Perriman back if he’s cheap. For sure.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Ichabod,

Nice journal. I did find your diary interesting.

Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Geez, this took some time to put together. Nice Job. A few of those were real gems:

Cam Gill – Starting material: I was surprised this guy was still on the roster. Kept thinking 49 was 45 out there. (Because I thought the same thing)

Sean Murphy-Bunting – Chance of a name or number change: He’s done both, trying to confuse us when he has bad play.
Ross Cockrell – Cutting material: Absolutely. (Was this a Bobbitt joke?)
Ryan Griffin – 18 career yards and a Super Bowl ring. (This guy wakes up laughing every day)

I would be optimistic about a winning season with your starting lineup. White needs to play better this year, that's all there is to it. I am hopeful that the coaching staff understands we have to do some things differently going forward. The same ole gameplan isn't going to work. I'd like to see Godwin play that Deebo role, Scotty play that Tyreek role, and maybe Devon White just needs to blitz every down. When he gets in coverage he's as lost as you are on Offsides in Soccer. It's not that hard, Hockey is a different story, I have no clue what offsides and icing are.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Barring and huge trade I still think Gabbert will be re-signed and beat out Kyle Trask.

I'd take Whitehead over Mike Edwards, so if we can re-sign Whitehead and let Edwards walk after next season that would be my preference. Whitehead was one of the best defenders we had down the stretch last season.

But I think Whitehead is gone and partly b/c he's salty about not being on the field on that final Rams drive after we tied the game b/c Bowles wanted Edwards instead.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:40 am Geez, this took some time to put together. Nice Job. A few of those were real gems:

It is now! Solid!

Yeah the next entries will be much shorter, the initial one was always going to be a beast.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Dread wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:12 pm Barring and huge trade I still think Gabbert will be re-signed and beat out Kyle Trask.

I'd take Whitehead over Mike Edwards, so if we can re-sign Whitehead and let Edwards walk after next season that would be my preference. Whitehead was one of the best defenders we had down the stretch last season.

But I think Whitehead is gone and partly b/c he's salty about not being on the field on that final Rams drive after we tied the game b/c Bowles wanted Edwards instead.
I agree that Whitehead would be preferred over Edwards and I hope it happens but I don't know.

I think re-signing CD3 means SMB and/or Dean will be gone next year, which leads me to believe we'll be taking a corner in one of the top 3 rounds, but again it'll be interesting to see how things play out.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:27 pm
Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:40 am Geez, this took some time to put together. Nice Job. A few of those were real gems:

It is now! Solid!

Yeah the next entries will be much shorter, the initial one was always going to be a beast.
After his play at DB, I often referred to him as cocksucker. He made a few plays on special teams, but he has no business in a defensive backfield.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cam Gill – Starting material: I was surprised this guy was still on the roster. Kept thinking 49 was 45 out there. (Because I thought the same thing)

Ryan Griffin – 18 career yards and a Super Bowl ring. (This guy wakes up laughing every day)

I would be optimistic about a winning season with your starting lineup. White needs to play better this year, that's all there is to it. I am hopeful that the coaching staff understands we have to do some things differently going forward. The same ole gameplan isn't going to work. I'd like to see Godwin play that Deebo role, Scotty play that Tyreek role, and maybe Devon White just needs to blitz every down. When he gets in coverage he's as lost as you are on Offsides in Soccer. It's not that hard, Hockey is a different story, I have no clue what offsides and icing are.

Do tell me the guard we are going to draft.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@IchabodCrane84, contrary to ESPN's wonderful depth chart I think Suh's back up would be Kobe Smith.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Wait Suh and Stevie T McClendon are gone so I guess he might be the starter if all of you with offensive stars continue to be blind.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:51 am Wait Suh and Stevie T McClendon are gone so I guess he might be the starter if all of you with offensive stars continue to be blind.
If Kobe Smith is the starter Week 1 I will buy you a steak dinner.
MJW

Post by MJW »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:04 pm February 14th 2022:
So, the Super Bowl is over and even though we still have the Pro Bowl to go, it’s time to start looking toward next year. Actually, I just Googled it. It appears the Pro Bowl already happened. That’s weird. Can’t believe I missed that spectacle. Guess with the Olympics starting next Sunday they didn’t want to take viewership away from that.

Just remember, I’m nobody, I’m not Nobody. My analysis does not consist of any tape review, knowledge of college football, but I do understand what offsides is… in football at least. Soccer and hockey still have me confused.

Anyway, let’s take a look at our current roster and see what talent we have.

Quarterback
Kyle Trask – Starting material: Unknown. He’s the only one on the roster and I don’t think he was even spotted on the sideline last year. At least Josh Rosen was watching from empty stands in 2020.

Running Back
Ke’Shawn Vaughn – Starting material: No. I mean we were starting Peyton Barber not too long ago. We were also going 7-9 consistently.
Kenjon Barner – Starting material: No. Writing this up, I just learned his name is Barner and not Varner.

Wide Receiver
Mike Evans – Chance for an AB type distraction: As long as Trask doesn’t poke anyone in the back of the head we’re good.
Scotty Miller – Starting material: No. If he makes it into the starting lineup… No if a Starting Lineup is made of him it be the first anatomically correct one.
Jaelon Darden – Starting material: No. He had that one punt return though!
Tyler Johnson – Starting material: No. Godwin’s potential came to fruition in his third season, but Godwin had flashes of brilliance in his first two.
Breshad Perriman – Starting material: No. But without Godwin, there’s no one to get in his way.
Cyril Grayson – Starting material: Maybe. I’d say the most improved of these back-end receivers from 2020 to 2021. Seeing him in the slot position next year could be a possibility.

Tight End
Cameron Brate – Starting material: Yes. With so many needs, I see the tight end position getting ignored and a rise again will be Brate.

Offensive Tackle
Tristan Wirfs – Chance for a Kenyatta Walkusback nickname: Tristan Whiffs is there.
Donovan Smith – Chance for a contract restructure: Licht did write in a “If you retire Brady” clause.

Offensive Guard
Sadarius Hutcherson – Starting material: Coming off an ACL injury, I’ll go with no.

Center
Robert Hainsey – Starting material: It’s Trask, so yes.
Donell Staley – Starting material: No, but you can never have too many centers.

Defensive Tackle
Vita Vea – Chance for an offensive TD: We’ve had what? One flea flicker per year under Arians? Not looking good.
Nacho – If we’re using Vita Vea’s nickname, might as well use Nacho’s as well.
Kobe Smith – Starting material: He was a fourth-team all-Mountain West performer, so no.
Willington Prevlion – Starting material: He’s Willington do it, but no.

Outside Linebacker/Defensive End
Shaquil Barrett – Chance of breaking the NFL sack record: In a 20-game season.
Joe Tryon-Shoyinka – Starting material: You’re damn right.
Anthony Nelson – Starting material: He developed into who we needed him to be last year. Rotational.
Cam Gill – Starting material: I was surprised this guy was still on the roster. Kept thinking 49 was 45 out there.
Baked Potato – Starting material: No. He’s cooked.
Elijah Ponder – Starting material: No. Don’t ponder on this too long.

Linebacker
Devin White – Chance he’ll lose his starting job: Careful, you know what happens to horse’s not in a Budweiser commercials when they break their leg.
Lavonte David – Chance of a decline: He’ll play longer than Derrick Brooks.
Grant Stuard – Chance of a haircut: No, he does not take advice from Riley Bullough.
KJ Britt – Chance of replacing Kevin Minter: Yes, please.

Cornerback
Jamel Dean – Chance of him becoming elite: Just watch how confused this guy will get if you ask him if Goofy is a dog or a cow.
Ross Cockrell – Cutting material: Absolutely.
Rashard Robinson – Starting material: I can see this guy getting railroaded by Christian McCaffery and RR becoming an appropriate set of initials.
Dee Delaney – Starting material: We all want DD to be bigger, but no.

Safety
Antoine Winfield Jr. – If there’s a chance for another Super Bowl, there’s a chance for peace.
Mike Edwards – Starting material: He’s no Whitehead, but I’d take him.
Chris Cooper – Starting material: Loved him in American Beauty, but no, too old.
Troy Warner – Starting material: I say Kurt Warner’s son has a chance to start for any NFL team. This is not Kurt Warner’s son.

Kicker
Ryan Succop – Is there still a curse: Last two Super Bowl champion kickers were or are on the Buccaneers.
Jose Borregales – Practice squad protected again next year, gotta watch out for the Borregales variant.

Punter
Bradley Pinion – Chance of getting cut: That’s out of bounds territory.

Our Free Agents: Brady’s retirement changes things a bit. You can go in a couple of different directions. I say if we’re going to role with Trask, lets re-sign the line and get an onslaught of running backs. I used to be able to re-sign everyone in Madden ’04 and get the best free agents, so this should be easy.
Chris Godwin – Re-sign as top priority.
Carlton Davis – Re-sign as #2 priority.
Aaron Stinnie – Re-sign him or Cappa as #3 priority
Alex Cappa – Re-sign him or Stinnie as #3 priority.
Ryan Jensen – Re-sign as #4 priority.
Gio Bernard – Re-sign as #5 priority.
William Gholston – Re-sign as #6 priority.
Blaine Gabbert – Re-sign as a low priority, my heart wants Griff.
Andrew Adams – Re-sign as low priority.
Zach Triner – Re-sign as a low priority. LS is a vital but easy to fill position.
Jordan Whitehead – Toughest decision to let walk. If re-signed we don’t re-sign Mike Edwards next year.
JPP – If he doesn’t retire, we can’t afford him.
Suh – Let him test the market. If he wants to come back after that and we have money left, I wouldn’t be against it.
Gronk – Frankenstein walk and Gronk spike farewell to a fun two tuddies, I mean years.
Leonard Fournette – It’s not that I don’t want to re-sign Fournette.
Ryan Griffin – 18 career yards and a Super Bowl ring.
Ronald Jones – Good luck out there, don’t worry Dirk Koetter is retired.
Richard Sherman – Let walk, he’ll probably injury himself doing so.
Kevin Minter – No shame. You filled in admirably when you had to.
Josh Wells – You were better than Joe Haeg.
Steve McLendon – Thanks for taking the car ride up here.
Curtis Riley – I don’t even know who this dude is.
Pat O’Connor – As much as I love him, he can be replaced.

Starting Roster before free agency and draft:
QB - Trask
RB – Vaugh/Bernard
WR – Evan/Godwin/Grayson
OT – Wirfs/Smith
OG – Marpet/Cappa or Stinnie
C - Jensen
DT – Vea/Nacho/Gholston
OLB/DE – Barrett/Tryon
LB – White/David
CB – Davis/Dean/SMB
S – Winfield/Edwards
K - Succop
P – Pinion

After the Alvin Kamara incident, the Bucs did become the quickest team to clinch a division in NFL history, so overall not a bad offseason so far. Obviously, a lot rides on the quarterback decision. Seems a little foolish to write something up now, but I’ll update as we go. I won’t say weekly or even monthly, but when there’s enough jokes to make.
Great write up! Some random thoughts as I read it -

- QB is what it is, and we don't know what that is yet. There are enough takes on the subject splayed throughout the forum already so I'll leave it there.

- I don't think Vaughn is in the plans for this staff, in desperation or otherwise. If we don't re-sign Fournette (heck, even if we do), I expect us to draft a back at some point, maybe add a veteran, maybe both.

- Our Wide Receiver depth fell apart. Scotty went from "NFCCG Star" to "Irrelevant" in the blink of an eye. Tyler Johnson was a major disappointment. He regressed, if anything. Jaelon Darden was consistently slower than his timed speed. Grayson had his moment, but I'm not ready to buy the hype yet. I think Godwin comes back, and if so, he and Evans are the only locks to be on the opening day 53. One of those others guys probably will. Maybe 2. But I'd be surprised if it's more than that. And I'd be surprised if any of those guys is penciled in for the #3 job.

- I could see OBP targeting a TE in the draft higher than people are thinking (maybe as high as R2.) Brate is fine, but he's not really want Arians wants at the position. If they see a true three down type player, they could pull the trigger (I have thoughts on who that might be, but wrong forum.)

- We know 3 of the OL spots are set. My instinct is Hainsey is not ready and Jensen comes back on a one-year deal. Cappa walks and Stinnie is re-signed. And the staff likes Leverett from what I've read, so maybe he gets to be the swing guard.

- Vita Vea and a total rebuild of the DL around him. I'd like to bring Gholston back. Not only is he the 2nd longest tenured Buc, but he's still playing reasonably well. But yeah. We painted ourselves into a corner by ignoring the position last year. We're probably going to have a middling veteran and a rookie in major roles.

- I actually really like our LB group. Minter can go. JPP isn't even a question. Shaq, Nelson, and JTS in major edge roles. White and LVD with likely Britt as the third guy. Stuard doing what he's doing. And I kinda like Cam GIll too.

- CD24 needs to come back. Seems like Whitehead might be the odd man out in free agency. Mostly the same group though.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

With average quarterback play (which can mean a lot of things) and logical free agency moves, this looks like a 10-7 roster in me considering the weak division and the brutal out of division schedule. Probably a 4 seed.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:15 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:51 am Wait Suh and Stevie T McClendon are gone so I guess he might be the starter if all of you with offensive stars continue to be blind.
If Kobe Smith is the starter Week 1 I will buy you a steak dinner.

Olive Sanuki Wagyu?
Kress

Post by Kress »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:27 pm It is now! Solid!

Funny, I tend to be the opposite.

Anywho, OOCA.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Kress wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pm
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:27 pm It is now! Solid!

Funny, I tend to be the opposite.

Anywho, OOCA.
::golf clap:: well played good sir, well played.
Push the damned button already!
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I think Trask should be given a chance with the salary cap situation the way it is. This team needs to find a QB in the draft whether it's Trask or someone next year. Take advantage of cheap rookie QB deals to retain as much of the team elsewhere as you can.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Redrum wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:37 pm I think Trask should be given a chance with the salary cap situation the way it is. This team needs to find a QB in the draft whether it's Trask or someone next year. Take advantage of cheap rookie QB deals to retain as much of the team elsewhere as you can.
My sense is this is the right call. I don't think a "big swing" quarterback will win anything here if we have to trade massive assets to get him. And I think the idea of giving up picks and/or huge cap space for a "pretty good" QB like Jimmy G makes a lick of sense.

Unfortunately, the smart money is on BA turning this into a kamikaze mission to win one last ring.
Let's roll another joint
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I honestly dont see the point of BA being here for this upcoming year. Its like a lame duck coaching situation.
Unless hes going to commit to 4 more years, he needs to walk away now.
Landing a big name qb doesn't mean we're superbowl bound. Our roster is going to be a lot worse than it was last year and with TB playing at an MVP level we still couldn't get through the rams.
We need to put our new coach in place, figure out what to do at QB and start the building process the right way.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Obsolete wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:02 am I honestly dont see the point of BA being here for this upcoming year. Its like a lame duck coaching situation.
Landing a big name qb doesn't mean we're superbowl bound. Our roster is going to be a lot worse than it was last year and with TB playing at an MVP level we still couldn't get through the rams.
We need to put our new coach in place, figure out what to do at QB and start the building process the right way.
BA was TB's problem last year. I'll bet if the Glazers get rid of him and hand the reins over to Leftwich, TB will un-retire immediately.

On a side note, if the Glazers do that, do we still get a third round comp pick?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:47 pm
Obsolete wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:02 am I honestly dont see the point of BA being here for this upcoming year. Its like a lame duck coaching situation.
BA was TB's problem last year. I'll bet if the Glazers get rid of him and hand the reins over to Leftwich, TB will un-retire immediately.

On a side note, if the Glazers do that, do we still get a third round comp pick?
I don't believe so, but we would have to interview 2 minority candidates first.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:02 pm

Interview Leftwich and Bowles. Hire both as co-head coaches. Get ourselves 3 comp picks.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I kinda wish he'd retired with Brady. A clean break from one of the best eras of Buccaneers football, and a big step towards a rebuild.

You know when teams get in trouble? When they get caught between a true rebuild and a realistic title push. I've said this before, but every team should exist in one of these two realms. I feel like that's exactly where we are right now. We're definitely not "rebuilding" but it's really tough to look at our situation (little cap space, tons of free agents, no quarterback, late draft picks) and feel like we're going to make a run as is.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I think if you hire a minority right off the bat, you are exempt from the Rooney Rule.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:30 am
I think if you hire a minority right off the bat, you are exempt from the Rooney Rule.
The Rooney Rule's enhanced policies, which were adopted in October, include a requirement for each team to interview at least two external minority candidates for a vacant head coach, general manager or coordinator job.
There doesn't appear to be any provision saying that if you actually hire a minority candidate, you are exempt from this portion.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

It'd be very Flores-like to go out and interview ANYBODY for the position if you had already filed it. Gotta be some loophole for that wouldn't you think?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

IronDog wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:01 am It'd be very Flores-like to go out and interview ANYBODY for the position if you had already filed it. Gotta be some loophole for that wouldn't you think?
According the the NFL, you can't go into a coaching search with a decision made...you can't come to a conclusion until you've met the requirements.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Could it be as simple as NOT calling it a search? Maybe even a promotion from within? Heck for that matter, could you, say, go to another team and pluck someone off their tree, as long as it wasn't considered a "search", because you already knew the guy/gal you wanted?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am
IronDog wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:01 am It'd be very Flores-like to go out and interview ANYBODY for the position if you had already filed it. Gotta be some loophole for that wouldn't you think?
According the the NFL, you can't go into a coaching search with a decision made...you can't come to a conclusion until you've met the requirements.
If Arians retires and there was a succession plan in place to replace the HC internally, then the Rooney rule doesn't apply. If they fire Arians, then it does. I am guessing Sean Payton's retirement was not planned.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

```
Last edited by mdb1958 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

God I wish that were true. I mean it's total bs, but still.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Offensive Guard
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

March 13th 2022

So, we finally have some news I can opine on.

• Thank you to Russia for invading Ukraine and ending COVID. It doesn’t look like we’ll have to worry about anyone left on the roster with a fake vaccination card.
  • Center Donell Staley was released after a paid stint on IR last year further depleting our snapper problems. How bad is it you ask? Jason Licht told Ali Marpet they’re moving him back to center and he retired. We did re-sign Stinnie though to a one-year deal and right now we’re looking at a D. Smith – Stinnie – Hainsey – Leverett – Wirfs starting lineup.
  • We have a second franchised Chris Godwin and who knew we the fans could own our very own Godwin? One Buc Place ships us his uniform and playbook, and we have to run things to their specifications, but he’s ours. Any money he makes us is ours. I can’t wait for a 3rd or 4th Chris Godwin franchise. I just hope acmillis doesn’t buy a Chris Godwin. He’ll probably sell it to an opposing team’s fan.
    Vita Vea wins fastest player to sign a contract and then restructure.
  • If SNL doesn’t capitalize on a Da Pack skit where it’s just Rodgers and Adams versus other teams, I’ll continue to still not watch it.
  • Tom Brady’s last gift to the team was retiring, thus reducing the amount of games on MNF, thus saving the fans from Troy Aikman and Joe Buck.
  • If you’re going to sit out a year of football it is better to spend your time getting happy endings than it is gambling.
  • What’s the lung capacity of the 12th Man a mile up?

Current Roster Situation

QB - Trask
RB – Vaughn
WR – Evans, Godwin, S Miller, T Johnson, Darden, Grayson, Perriman
TE - Brate
OT – Wirfs, Smith
OG – Stinnie, Leverett, Hutcherson, Molchon
C - Hainsey
DT – Vea, Nacho, Prevlion, K Smith
OLB/DE – Barrett, Tryon, Nelson, Gill, Potato, Ponder
LB – White, David, Mr. Irrelevant, KJ Britt
CB – Dean, SMB, Cockrell, DD, Robinson
S – Winfield, Edwards, Warner, Cooper
K - Succop
P – Pinion
LS – Tinker Triner Toy Soldier

Seems bleak right? Days before free agency and we seem to be set up for a lean year. However, I think the FO is concentrating on the quarterback situation first. Listening to Licht and Arians, and the rare interviews Mike Evans gives it seems like they are eager to settle on who their quarterback is going to be quickly so they can get to work. I think if we have a quarterback set we sign re-sign Godwin. If we don’t he plays on the franchise tag. Once the quarterback is in place, the other pieces will start to come together. We also have to acknowledge the depth we’ve had, which we didn’t used to. We’re good at WR, DE, LB, S, and to some extent CB and OL. Yes, we may be losing key players there and I want to re-sign or replace them but there are players on the team currently that can start so we can concentrate on other positions of need.