Immediate needs for 2022

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IronDog

Immediate needs for 2022

Post by IronDog »

We've had discussions on this topic scattered around and throughout multiple threads. Can we condense them into one location?

Who do we need to re-sign/replace/eject and how much will they cost over the foreseeable future?

We've multiple guys finishing out their current contracts that we can try to buy back
(funny money), some that could be choices to extend or rework their current contracts, etc. Heck there are some that we would be better served seeing going elsewhere (the sooner the better). There are some you would like to disappear, mainly as a "I can't believe he did that, get him outta here" flashpoint reactions (hopefully you've had time to calm down).

I recall seeing someone working out freeing up cap space and including Succup as part of their calculations. Crimony, we haven't had a kicker worth a snap since Gramatica and I was personally flabbergasted by the suggestion. I searched the forum but can't find that post.

So, obviously, QB is an area of concern. Duh! But there have been quite a few far-fetched and extravagant sequences of "thought", both in here and scattered amongst the talking heads with active imaginations, in order to bring in a vet, whether that be a certain "old man" currently still on the roster or finding someone fro elsewhere to swap uniforms.

So....What you got?
Push the damned button already!
Snake

Re: Immediate needs for 2022

Post by Snake »

It’s a bloodbath. I think they need to be really choosy with guys returning. Suh and JPP need to go unless they want to come back on league minimum deals. Gholston has a lot of mileage but he’s also good at what he does if they want to keep this dominant run defense.

QB- going from a top two quarterback to probably the worst starting quarterback in the NFL if we roll with Gabbert. Trask, mostly unknown. Probably better than Gabbert. If a guy they absolutely love falls to their first round pick, I would not be upset. I have not really scouted the QBs this year

RB- need a first down back and a third down back.

Need interior o-line. Possibly three new starters.

TE - Not sure here. I think they’re probably going to get away from this now that Gronk isn’t around? That was the norm for Arians, pre-Brady. Brate is paid 7 million. 2 million dead cap if we cut him. I’d make him renegotiate.

D-line - looking at two new starters.

LB/Edge - need one more rotation guy. JTS takes over for JPP. Nelson is good enough. Need another Nelson type.

DB - I mean, if we lose Davis, CB isn’t good. Debatable if it’s good with him.

Safety - winfield is great at what he does. I would like a guy who is really good going backwards and in coverage. Whitehead may or may not return. Who knows.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Free agency starts in less than two weeks, and who we choose to resign and not is going to wildly change what we need.

As of today, we could use help at QB, RB, TE, OG, C, and DE/DT. Maybe WR if Godwin walks, CB if Davis walks.

The number of permutations our team could go through right now is very, very high.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

WR is a need, Godwin or not. We saw how thin we truly were without Godwin and then AB. People have been trying to plead their cases for Miller, TJ, Watson for years but give it up. It simply is not going to happen.

I'd expect us to make WR a premium need in the offseason. Even with Godwin re-signed, he's still coming off reconstructive knee surgery. We don't know if he'll be ready to go or how much rust he'll have to knock off.

Also we all know this offense needs 3 good WRs to function well. Evans and another outside, Godwin in slot.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I could see a guy like Landry and Mike Williams making their way over if we can't bring back Godwin.

So much is going to depend on how the market see's these players and we won't know that until it happens.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Giving this thread a bump.

After Brady came back from retirement, that wildly changed our fortunes moving forward. Our offseason plan went from rebuilding to trying to contend for another Superbowl.

Thus far in addition to Brady coming out of retirement, we feanchise tagged Godwin, resigned Ryan Jensen and Carlton Davis and Aaron Stinnie, signed Russell Gage in free agency, and traded for Shaq Mason. Not a bad opening salvo.

As it stands, I'd put our needs in roughly this order:

- Running back - Vaughn is the only guy on the roster, and he will someone to help split touches, either a free agent or draftee or both. This position needs to be addressed before training camp.
- Tight end - Brate, like Vaughn, is the only guy at his position on the roster. If we can resign Gronkowski that would be huge. I also wouldn't hate a tight end in the draft to groom for the future, as both Gronk and Brate aren't getting any younger.
- DT in nickel, DE in base defense - Suh and Gholston are gone, so are their backups O'Connor and McClendon. Cap space is tight. Vea and Nacho are good players, but they need friends in the middle. Would love a draftee or two here.
- Offensive Guard - This depends on how you feel about Aaron Stinnie. He started for us in the playoffs during our Superbowl run and looked good doing it, but one could argue that we need an influx of talent. A high-round guard could beat out Stinnie and start every game, and I wouldn't be surprised.
- A third safety - Bowles loves three safety looks, and Whitehead is gone to the Jets. Having a good safety would help with depth, sub packages, and special teams, although it isn't a super pressing need.

Feel free to add as you wish.
Last edited by Cheb on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

RB is the big need. Bringing back Davis and trading for Shaq Mason really opens up that first rounder for a RB. Everywhere else were basically only looking for depth.

I also think we bring back Suh and Gronk. As others have pointed out, their cap hits are about the same whether they are on the roster or not.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Quarterback - Who knows? Will Brady go another year? Will two years of watching and growing Trask be enough for OBP to make a call on him? Will Brady and Arians retire together, meaning a new direction? I'm glad I don't have to think about this problem for another year. I did not enjoy it.

Running Back - We're going to add at least 2 guys this offseason, likely one veteran and one pup. Will the veteran be young enough to play multiple years? Will the pup be good enough to seize the job?

Wide Receiver - Evans is still locked up. Will Godwin get his long term deal, and does Gage now affect that? Will anyone between Tyler Johnson, Scott Miller, Jaelen Darden, and Cyril Grayson emerge to claim a job (or in Miller's case, an extension?)

Tight End - We don't know what we're doing there THIS year. Hopefully Gronk is back, but neither Gronk nor a 32 year old Brate are sure things to be part of the 2023 season. I'm calling my shot and saying we go TE in Rounds 2 or 3.

Offensive Tackle - We're good. At least, both our starters are under team control for the next several years. I don't like using "Good" around Donovan Smith.

Interior Line - Jensen is likely back for at least 2 years. Mason is under contract for 2 years. Stinnie is on a one-year deal. I could see a high pick turning this group from a strength to a weakness and back to a strength going forward.

Defensive Line - We don't have one at the moment? Odds are, we bring back Gholston, sign another vet to eat snaps, and draft someone in the first four rounds. What we do over the next 6 weeks will help answer this question some. But it'll probably be our #1 concern next year.

Linebacker/Edge - We're set for the next few years with Shaq and JTS, and even Cam Gill has flashed as a backup. I feel less great about the interior. LVD could be playing his last year. White may or may not earn the extension he's looking for, but he's under team control for 2 more years regardless. I like Britt to ascend to the Minter role and Stuard as long depth. We could very easily see someone we love at interior linebacker and draft them to start in 2023.

Cornerback - Davis is now here for 3 more years, but both Dean and SMB are UFAs after the season, as is Cockrell. This position could get blown up. More likely, we sign one of those first two and draft a third guy, this year or next.

Safety - Winfield has 2 more years of team control, but Whitehead is gone, and Edwards is entering his walk year. This could be a position on fire.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."