This Season's for Gene

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IchabodCrane84

This Season's for Gene

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

If you haven't heard, 76-year old Gene Deckerhoff, the voice of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers radio broadcast and the Florida State Seminoles has announced his retirement from Florida State games. He's stated that he'll finish out his obligation with the Buccaneers hopefully calling another Super Bowl, but then he's done. I'm not quite sure what this means, but it sounds as though he's got one last season on his Bucs' contract and he's hoping 2022 will bring one more Super Bowl.

So yes, I'm making this official. I have no confirmation that this is our radio announcer's last season, but it certainly sounds like. Might have even hung it up if Tom Brady didn't come back. He wants one more Super Bowl and we're going to give it to him. Best voice, personality, and enthusiasm on the air. Started calling games in 1989 when I was eight, and if you wanted to hear live Buccaneer football he was the guy to bring it to you. His voice is engrained into our best highlights from you go Joe, you go Joe to holy Gronkamole. I still know people who mute their TV's and listen to the radio broadcast to have Gene call the game, and that's saying something because the TV broadcast is always a play to a play and a half behind the radio broadcast.

We're lucky to have had the best radio announcer in our booth for over thirty years, and we're even luckier to know we have a shot at one more Super Bowl with him. So, I dedicate this year for one more pursuit of a World Championship not for Tom Brady, but to the best out there, to a man who's voice raised me on Buccaneer football, Gene Deckerhoff.
Swashbuckler

Re: This Season's for Gene

Post by Swashbuckler »

LFG!!! Fire the cannons one last time for Gene!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Incredible how he's the voice of every buc memory I have. Legend.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I'm not sure when his contract with the Bucs runs out, but it is going to be awkward listening to Bucs games on the radio and not hearing his voice. He's in his mid 70's now and I hope he enjoys the fruits of his labor to the fullest. I will miss him.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Kona

Post by Kona »

Definitely won’t be the same without hearing Gene doing the play by play after this season, I’ll make sure to tune in even more so this year.

Let’s send him into retirement with another Lombardi!
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Best voice in all sports... there is no doubt about it, it is not a homer talking it is the truth. I put him up their with madden. Madden was not a play by play, but Gene man he is something special.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

I simply can not imagine another voice doing Bucs games. Deckerhoff is the voice of the Bucs.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

You Go Joe is my favorite childhood sports moment outside of my own played.