Fournette: Re-signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kona

Fournette: Re-signed

Post by Kona »

whistlepig777

Re: Fournette: Re-signed

Post by whistlepig777 »

Outside of catching lightning in a bottle with a rookie, this was the best option.
Kona

Post by Kona »

whistlepig777 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:38 am Outside of catching lightning in a bottle with a rookie, this was the best option.
Agreed, fair deal for both sides IMO. Lenny has proved to thrive in this system with Tom.

Wouldn’t mind getting Gio back and adding a rookie in the mid rounds to compete with Vaughn. But at least we have our starter.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

This is just too good. Like actually too good
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

PetePierson wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am Miss me with this Gio bullshit. Dude had like 200 yards rushing and receiving in 12 games.

No thanks.
This plus he's a year older coming off of an injury riddled season. Big no thanks.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Can't be upset, Lenny has earned this deal and improved both personally and professionally here in Tampa after signing as a malcontent and cast-off from Jacksonville.

He's improved as a pass catcher and protection to be a 3 down back. He gets the tough yards in short yardage and red zone while still having the ability to pop an explosive run.

Crazy to think, but the expectation might be the Bucs offense should be better than last season. Especially of we can stay healthier.
Dread

Post by Dread »

PetePierson wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am Miss me with this Gio bullshit. Dude had like 200 yards rushing and receiving in 12 games.

No thanks.
Yeah, that one didn't work as planned. With Lenny taking over (as he should) there just wasn't enough touches for Gio. Not that Gio did a ton when he was healthy and got the ball anyway.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Excellent.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Well, we can get rid of the Miami Lenny thread now. If he wanted to get paid, and I mean PAID, he would've gone to Miami. As it is, he values winning another ring more.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Backside

Post by Backside »

Good for him. As long as he still remembers how to catch he should be a good, productive player. And now we have no obvious glaring need heading into the draft.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:50 am Well, we can get rid of the Miami Lenny thread now. If he wanted to get paid, and I mean PAID, he would've gone to Miami. As it is, he values winning another ring more.
Maybe. He's getting the best deal of any FA RB. 3 years and up to $24M? Not many guys getting $8M+ a year. I got crucified for suggesting we trade for Barkley and he will make $7M.

I'm guessing LF's cap hit this year will be significantly lower than that though. Hope he's still motivated. Glad to have him back.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Happy he's back. Seems like a great teammate and a hard worker. Definitely didn't want to see him on NE. I bet Brady is happy he will be picking up blitzes instead of Vaughn. I think they will go defense in the first now but I still wouldn't rule out a pass catching back.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:50 am Well, we can get rid of the Miami Lenny thread now. If he wanted to get paid, and I mean PAID, he would've gone to Miami. As it is, he values winning another ring more.
Imo the feeling was mutual in that Lenny knew he wanted to come back to play with Brady, and the Bucs wanted Lenny back, but he wanted to get a contract he knew he deserved, so he had to flirt with some other teams and take those offers to the Bucs so we knew his value.

2020 - $2M (25yrs old)
2021 - $3.25m (26yrs old)
2022 - $7M (27yrs old)
2023 - $7M (28yrs old)
2024 - $7M (29yrs old)

5yr - 26.25M contract for a former 4th overall pick in his prime years.

That's a hell of alot better value than Zeke or CMC.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:00 am
Maybe. He's getting the best deal of any FA RB. 3 years and up to $24M? Not many guys getting $8M+ a year. I got crucified for suggesting we trade for Barkley and he will make $7M.

I'm guessing LF's cap hit this year will be significantly lower than that though. Hope he's still motivated. Glad to have him back.
Barkley is an immense talent, but trending in the wrong direction the past 2 seasons. If you're going to pay a RB they better be reliable, which due to the physical nature of the position the more dynamic they are oftentimes the more injury prone they are.

Barkey's $7M is also b/c he's in the 5th yr team option of his rookie contract which is governed via the CBA. So he's a free agent after this season.

Plus a team would have to give up draft compensation to trade the Giants to trade for Barkey since they wouldn't just give him away unless they had a compelling offer to expedite their rebuild.

I think Barkley is an amazing RB with healthy, but way too many questions for this Bucs team to risk going after him.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I realize all of those things regarding Barkley. I'm glad LF is back. I do think a healthy Barkley takes this offense to another level that LF can't match though.

Anyway. Not happening.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:43 am I realize all of those things regarding Barkley. I'm glad LF is back. I do think a healthy Barkley takes this offense to another level that LF can't match though.

Anyway. Not happening.
Yeah, I'd agree a healthy Barkley has more upside than Lenny. Higher ceiling, but lower floor due to injury risk.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:43 am I realize all of those things regarding Barkley. I'm glad LF is back. I do think a healthy Barkley takes this offense to another level that LF can't match though.

Anyway. Not happening.
Most of us don’t believe Barkley will be healthy.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Three weeks ago was a long time ago when it looked like NO ONE would be back. We have 7, 12, 14 all back and looking better than ever. Plus we added Gage. Man… if Brady can avoid the age fall off… we really might have a chance against our murderous schedule. All we’re missing now is a guard on offense and some defensive gems up front from being the best team in football again.

Which is good because I’m sick of hearing my Rams friend talk shit for a year. Kupp/Robinson/Jefferson is apparently better than Evans/Godwin/Gage too.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Anyway. Not happening.
Also "not happening": "a healthy Barkley"
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Lenny, Vaughn, Gio, and a rookie going in to camp would be ideal. Let Gio, Vaughn, and the rookie compete for the two backup spots.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:00 am

Barkley is an immense talent, but trending in the wrong direction the past 2 seasons. If you're going to pay a RB they better be reliable, which due to the physical nature of the position the more dynamic they are oftentimes the more injury prone they are.

Barkey's $7M is also b/c he's in the 5th yr team option of his rookie contract which is governed via the CBA. So he's a free agent after this season.

Plus a team would have to give up draft compensation to trade the Giants to trade for Barkey since they wouldn't just give him away unless they had a compelling offer to expedite their rebuild.

I think Barkley is an amazing RB with healthy, but way too many questions for this Bucs team to risk going after him.
Barkley and Zeek need to be hawking sports outfits.
Kona

Post by Kona »

No thanks.
Good point, really any 3rd down back to compliment Lenny.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Kona wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:59 am

No thanks.
Good point, really any 3rd down back to compliment Lenny.
The Bucs may have KV step into that role. However, a late round pick on a RB would be good just in case KV doesn't pan out.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Vaughn showed a few things. I’d expect he’d be the primary backup and that they’ll also draft someone.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

More than I wanted to spend on a RB but Fournette showed he could be exactly the guy Brady wanted. Still capable of big plays too.

We 100% need to add a back in the draft though, no need to burn a high pick. You always need a several bodies in the backfield. We could probably grab an affordable FA too.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

BJJ34 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:36 am Three weeks ago was a long time ago when it looked like NO ONE would be back. We have 7, 12, 14 all back and looking better than ever. Plus we added Gage. Man… if Brady can avoid the age fall off… we really might have a chance against our murderous schedule. All we’re missing now is a guard on offense and some defensive gems up front from being the best team in football again.

Which is good because I’m sick of hearing my Rams friend talk shit for a year. Kupp/Robinson/Jefferson is apparently better than Evans/Godwin/Gage too.
Brady isn't going to have an age fall-off. One thing about QB's is that unless you get injured like Peyton Manning your arm strength isn't going to decrease drastically in your 40s. Hell, Brett Favre can still sling the ball, and while not a QB Nolan Ryan was throwing fucking 80 mph in his 70s.

Barring injury the only thing that stops Brady is Brady.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Money well spent. The argument against a rookie...even a top rookie...would be in pass protection which even those who are listed as "good in pass protection" out of college sometimes struggle in the pros and missed blitz pickup is a problem for Brady.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I just hope we get a motivated Lenny, not a "have my ring and my contract" Lenny. Because we've seen glimpses of the latter.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:24 pm I just hope we get a motivated Lenny, not a "have my ring and my contract" Lenny. Because we've seen glimpses of the latter.
You know better.

Lenny is who he is. He made it well known that he wanted his money. He has always been about sellf. That's not going to change that overnight.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

You can want to maximize your worth in the workplace and still give a damn about your day-to-day effort.

In short, I'm not worried about LF getting complacent now that he has job security.

Good resigning.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Eh. I'm usually all for paying and drafting a RB what is needed, but is Lenny that guy? He was productive, but typical good back on a star team productive. Nothing wild. For 7M I'd rather role the dice giving that contract to Barkley for a fifth. Or see what the draft has. I think Lenny was in the best shape of his life last year and still wasn't the wow weapon you'd want him to be. Honestly, I'd much rather have given Patterson 2 years $11M and played him at RB.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:32 pm
Kress wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:24 pm I just hope we get a motivated Lenny, not a "have my ring and my contract" Lenny. Because we've seen glimpses of the latter.
You know better.

Lenny is who he is. He made it well known that he wanted his money. He has always been about sellf. That's not going to change that overnight.
I don't disagree, however Lenny and Suh are similar imo in the sense they are immense talents who play their best with the most on the line (big games). However both do more harm than good on a losing team when the games are less relevant.

In short, ego.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:50 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:32 pm

You know better.

I don't disagree, however Lenny and Suh are similar imo in the sense they are immense talents who play their best with the most on the line (big games). However both do more harm than good on a losing team when the games are less relevant.

In short, ego.
Pretty much this. Fournette has an ego and isn’t shy about it. As long as we’re winning and he’s getting his touches, it’ll fine. If those things don’t happen…..you know the rest.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17 pm Eh. I'm usually all for paying and drafting a RB what is needed, but is Lenny that guy? He was productive, but typical good back on a star team productive. Nothing wild. For 7M I'd rather role the dice giving that contract to Barkley for a fifth. Or see what the draft has. I think Lenny was in the best shape of his life last year and still wasn't the wow weapon you'd want him to be. Honestly, I'd much rather have given Patterson 2 years $11M and played him at RB.
I'm glad he's back. And I'm going to withhold judgement on the deal until I read the details. But first blush, we overpaid.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."