Week 1 Discussion Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Dread

Week 1 Discussion Thread

Post by Dread »

We officially made it to week 1 and our DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPION TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS get to kick the season off in primetime Thursday night at RayJay. But we already have a thread for that game so in keeping with tradition here is are the rest of the Week 1 NFL games;

Philadelphia Eagles at Atlanta Falcons, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
New York Jets at Carolina Panthers, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
Minnesota Vikings at Cincinnati Bengals, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
San Francisco 49ers at Detroit Lions, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
Arizona Cardinals at Tennessee Titans, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
Los Angeles Chargers at Washington Football Team, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS

Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs, 4:25 p.m. ET CBS
Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots, 4:25 p.m. ET, CBS
Green Bay Packers at New Orleans Saints, 4:25 p.m. ET, FOX
Denver Broncos at New York Giants, 4:25 p.m ET, FOX

Chicago Bears at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC

Baltimore Ravens at Las Vegas Raiders, 8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN/ABC
Lordnlkon

Re: Week 1 Discussion Thread

Post by Lordnlkon »

Dread wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:41 am We officially made it to week 1 and our DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPION TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS get to kick the season off in primetime Thursday night at RayJay. But we already have a thread for that game so in keeping with tradition here is are the rest of the Week 1 NFL games;

Philadelphia Eagles at Atlanta Falcons, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX - Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS - Bills
New York Jets at Carolina Panthers, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS - Panthers
Minnesota Vikings at Cincinnati Bengals, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX - Vikings
San Francisco 49ers at Detroit Lions, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX - 49ers
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS - Texans
Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX - Seahawks
Arizona Cardinals at Tennessee Titans, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS - Titans
Los Angeles Chargers at Washington Football Team, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS - Washington

Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs, 4:25 p.m. ET CBS - Chiefs
Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots, 4:25 p.m. ET, CBS - Dolphins
Green Bay Packers at New Orleans Saints, 4:25 p.m. ET, FOX - Packers
Denver Broncos at New York Giants, 4:25 p.m ET, FOX - Broncos

Chicago Bears at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC - Rams

Baltimore Ravens at Las Vegas Raiders, 8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN/ABC - Ravens

My picks.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Houston paying Deshaun Watson to sit while Tyrod Taylor plays. The David Culley era is starting out great.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 amHouston paying Deshaun Watson to sit while Tyrod Taylor plays. The David Culley era is starting out great.
Not sure about his contract but didn't he just signed it last offseason? If so, it's likely the 2nd year money is all guaranteed regardless.

But it's definitely a clusterfuck.

Feel bad for Culley. The man paid his dues in the NFL and when he finally gets his HC opportunity he has to inherit this mess, of which he didn't create.

The Texans are going to have the 1st pick of the draft next year and if they trade Watson a ton more draft capital to rebuild pretty quickly with cheap and talented 1st contract guys.

I guess the only reason they haven't traded Watson is the offers haven't been enough. But I'm not sure how the offers get better as time goes by.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Steelers @ Bills should be a fun game to watch with potential playoff ramifications.

It's going to be nice putting on RedZone for week 1 so I can take it all in.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I seen some chart where Josh Allen throws 62, is that miles per hour?
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:53 am I seen some chart where Josh Allen throws 62, is that miles per hour?
Dollars. Every pass he throws is worth $62.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:43 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 amHouston paying Deshaun Watson to sit while Tyrod Taylor plays. The David Culley era is starting out great.
Not sure about his contract but didn't he just signed it last offseason? If so, it's likely the 2nd year money is all guaranteed regardless.

Feel bad for Culley. The man paid his dues in the NFL and when he finally gets his HC opportunity he has to inherit this mess, of which he didn't create.

The Texans are going to have the 1st pick of the draft next year and if they trade Watson a ton more draft capital to rebuild pretty quickly with cheap and talented 1st contract guys.

I guess the only reason they haven't traded Watson is the offers haven't been enough. But I'm not sure how the offers get better as time goes by.
Their hardline stance before the allegations came to the surface are why they are in this circumstance. They decided they didn't want to trade him. That's their prerogative. What happened subsequently isn't their fault but it's their burden to bear.

His base salary this year is relatively small, about $10.5mil. But they did sign him to a $27mil signing bonus and his $35mil base for 2022 is fully guaranteed.

My guess is they were expecting him to be placed on the exempt list at this point. However it's clear the league isn't confident enough in the investigation to go that route. So here they stand with an expensive QB who doesn't want to be there and will be a healthy scratch on game day.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:38 am
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:53 am I seen some chart where Josh Allen throws 62, is that miles per hour?
Found it!

https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Q ... /10241/dh/
Snake

Post by Snake »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:40 pm
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:38 am

Found it!

https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Q ... /10241/dh/
For what it's worth, Baker Mayfield threw 60 mph at the combine as well. Underrated arm talent imo.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Lordnlkon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:15 am
Los Angeles Chargers at Washington Football Team, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS - Washington

My picks.
I'm curious why you went with that?
Lordnlkon

Post by Lordnlkon »

Caradoc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Lordnlkon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:15 am

My picks.

They’ve got a good defense and I think Fitz gives them a chance to surprise some teams. They’ve actually got some pretty decent weapons. However he’ll also lose some games he shouldn’t.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Lordnlkon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 pm
Caradoc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:52 pm

They’ve got a good defense and I think Fitz gives them a chance to surprise some teams. They’ve actually got some pretty decent weapons. However he’ll also lose some games he shouldn’t.
Im with Lord on this. I think the Football Team's defense matches up very well against the Chargers and Lord Commander Fitzpatrick tends to overachieve early in seasons.

Don't discount Riverboat's impact to the team. He's made them believers in themselves, and that's a heady brew.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Am I allowed to discuss other teams in this thread
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rocker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:06 am
Lordnlkon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 pm

Im with Lord on this. I think the Football Team's defense matches up very well against the Chargers and Lord Commander Fitzpatrick tends to overachieve early in seasons.

Don't discount Riverboat's impact to the team. He's made them believers in themselves, and that's a heady brew.
I think they're sneaky good. There was a bit of a fluke factor in their playoff appearance last year, but they're on the upswing. Really good defense. Good coach. McLaurin and Gibson are legit weapons. If I was a WFT, I'd feel better about how my team is developing than the other three in the division.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:13 am Am I allowed to discuss other teams in this thread
We are, you're not. Sorry.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:13 am
Rocker wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:06 am

I think they're sneaky good. There was a bit of a fluke factor in their playoff appearance last year, but they're on the upswing. Really good defense. Good coach. McLaurin and Gibson are legit weapons. If I was a WFT, I'd feel better about how my team is developing than the other three in the division.
Jaret Patterson will surprise.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:09 am
MJW wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:13 am

Jaret Patterson will surprise.
I actually agree 100%. He went undrafted because the things great about his game don't show up in measurables. He's short, smallish, and he's a 4.55 sort of forty guy. But his vision is elite. His balance is elite. His patience as a runner almost reminds me of Le'Veon Bell. He has an innate sense of when to follow his blocks and when to break off. He times his cuts and spins as well as any back coming into the league. He probably led the nation in, "There's no way he should have scored a touchdown there" touchdowns during his career.

Not saying he'll be a superstar. His size probably means he's a career backup. But he's going to be a dude who quietly has a really solid NFL career. Reminds me of Danny Woodhead, who played at Chadron State here in Nebraska, broke all kinds of records, went undrafted because he was small and played inferior competition, and played in the league for ten years.

Even before camp cuts, when he was the 4th stringer with Washington, I took him to be my handcuff to Antonio Gibson in fantasy. I was 100% confident he'd beat out Peyton Barber, and I'm confident he'll get the reps over JD McKissic is WFT needs a rusher to spell Gibson.
Let's roll another joint
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Philadelphia Eagles at Atlanta Falcons, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
New York Jets at Carolina Panthers, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
Minnesota Vikings at Cincinnati Bengals, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
San Francisco 49ers at Detroit Lions, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts, 1:00 p.m. ET, FOX
Arizona Cardinals at Tennessee Titans, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS
Los Angeles Chargers at Washington Football Team, 1:00 p.m. ET, CBS

Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs, 4:25 p.m. ET CBS
Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots, 4:25 p.m. ET, CBS
Green Bay Packers at New Orleans Saints, 4:25 p.m. ET, FOX
Denver Broncos at New York Giants, 4:25 p.m ET, FOX

Chicago Bears at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC

Baltimore Ravens at Las Vegas Raiders, 8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN/ABC
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So Jets vs Panthers

Wilson vs Darnold
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

The rumors that's holding this from going forward is that teams wanted guarantees in the trade that if Deshaun goes to jail or is indefinitely suspended by the league that they get some picks back.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:00 pm

The rumors that's holding this from going forward is that teams wanted guarantees in the trade that if Deshaun goes to jail or is indefinitely suspended by the league that they get some picks back.
I think it'll get done, but probably with a lot of conditional type "Texans Get X but it becomes X+ if Watson plays" picks.

If I was a team that needed him, I would float something like:

Incumbent QB (Tua, Carr, whatever)
2022 1st Rounder, No Questions Asked.
2022 3rd Rounder, No Questions Asked.
2023 2nd Rounder That Can Become A 1st Rounder if he plays X snaps.
2023 4th Rounder, No Questions Asked.
2024 3rd Rounder That Can Become A 2nd Rounder if he plays X snaps.

Something like that. Potential for Two #1s, A 2nd, A 3rd, and A 4th IF Watson clears up his issues 100%. And if he doesn't, the other team is paying A 1st, A 2nd, Two 3rds, and A 4th. Which is still a tidy haul for the Texans, considering Watson is never going to play for them again either way and they're getting a guy who ended up not playing for his new team either off the books.
Let's roll another joint
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Look like Garoppolo is the starter for the 49ers

Sorry Trey Lance fans, I don’t know what you see in him
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 am Look like Garoppolo is the starter for the 49ers

This was absolutely no surprise and shouldn't be construed as an indictment of Lance. The fact it was a topic of discussion is an amazing credit to Lance, in fact. Lance played in 19 college games in his career, for North Dakota State. He's played in 1 game over the last 18 months. There was no reasonable expectation he was going to come in and start over Jimmy G, who is entering his 5th year in the offense, has gone 22-8 as a starter there, and led them to a Super Bowl not long ago.

As for what we Lance fans see in him, you can see plenty of glimmers of it just in his preseason highlights. He's accurate - he throws his receivers into YAC position. Quick release. He doesn't panic in the pocket, but when he runs, he's a major threat. He's decisive - he sees it and he throws it. And he's perfect for an offense which wants to do a lot of rollouts and boots, which Shanny Jr. does.

Also, by literally every account available, he's an A+ teammate and human being with a top-notch work ethic and intelligence.

Watching him below, I see a more athletic Dak Prescott.

Let's roll another joint
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

The only real issue I've seen with Lance is that he doesn't understand touch. He throws most of his throws as hard as he can, which have resulted in picks.
Dread

Post by Dread »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:51 am The only real issue I've seen with Lance is that he doesn't understand touch. He throws most of his throws as hard as he can, which have resulted in picks.
Pretty common for young QB's with alot of arm talent like Lance.

We'll see what Lance becomes, but I'm a believer in Kyle Shanahan's coaching ability when it comes QBs and offense. I think Lance will get on the field in a Taysom Hill type of role early to get the rushing attack going w/ some easy reads off play action.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 am Look like Garoppolo is the starter for the 49ers

If you were expecting him to come in day 1 and be a star then you never had realistic expectations to begin with. As a Niners fan, this pick had to grow on me. I was hoping for either Zack Wilson or Justin Fields. But as I looked more at Lance’s tape, I saw the appeal for Shanahan. Lance is accurate, moves very well, and diagnosis rather quickly. The system isn’t an easy one. Garoppolo starts for now but Lance is the future in San Francisco.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@beardmcdoug
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Niners need to go ahead and keep Trey Lance in at QB.
Snake

Post by Snake »

LUGZ wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm Justin Herbert is a problem. Slicing up the Redskins defense like it's 7 on 7.
I was wrong about him.

Kyler also moving like a little speed demon today. I still think he has an MVP caliber season in him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:27 pm Niners need to go ahead and keep Trey Lance in at QB.
Totally agree. Not a fan of Jimmy. Lance is the anti-Jimmy. The coaching is good enough. Get him in there.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trevor Lawrence looks lost against the Texans. To be expected for most rookie QBs in their first game. His mobility is obvious. The arm is nice. Just not seeing defenders and air mailing passes.

Welcome to the NFL.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Jalen Hurts is carving up Atlanta in the air and on the ground. My God.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:32 pm Jalen Hurts is carving up Atlanta in the air and on the ground. My God.
I forget who ATL plays next weeks
/lickschops
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Green Bay got smoked by Winston and the Saints. The Saints did an excellent job of helping Winston be a game manager.