Week 1 Discussion Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Terry Tate

Re: Week 1 Discussion Thread

Post by Terry Tate »

Snake wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 pm Trevor Lawrence looks lost against the Texans. To be expected for most rookie QBs in their first game. His mobility is obvious. The arm is nice. Just not seeing defenders and air mailing passes.

Welcome to the NFL.
It isn't helping him that he has a high ego, hard headed college coach who is also in his first pro game.

Maybe Meyer can turn it around but I wouldn't bet on it. Meyer won in college by being an A++ recruiter, a skill which means nothing in the NFL.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Mac Jones, despite the loss, looked really good in his first game.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

The Rams looked awfully legit. If they stay healthy, they could be the single biggest roadblock to a repeat Super Bowl.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

Terry Tate wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 pm Trevor Lawrence looks lost against the Texans. To be expected for most rookie QBs in their first game. His mobility is obvious. The arm is nice. Just not seeing defenders and air mailing passes.

Welcome to the NFL.
It isn't helping him that he has a high ego, hard headed college coach who is also in his first pro game.

Maybe Meyer can turn it around but I wouldn't bet on it. Meyer won in college by being an A++ recruiter, a skill which means nothing in the NFL.
Rumour has it Meyer is being an A hole and some players and coaches don’t like it . He will probably start having “health” issues at some point this season. The quit at some point.
Max

Post by Max »

Rodgers looks like a bum and played like one too.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Very surprised at the beat down the Saints put on GB. It's just one game but they looked very good. Hopefully Winston starts playing like the guy we all watched here.
Dread

Post by Dread »

The Saints defense looked really good. Not that it should be a surprise since they were a top 3 unit last season and returned most of the starters. The losses were to their CB2 (Janoris Jenkins) and interior DLinemen. They've added Desmond Trufant and will be adding Bradley Roby to fill the gap from Jenkins and are just plugging whoever in at the DT spots.

The Brownies just couldn't close it out again in KC, but they looked good for a while. KC looks to be the class of the AFC to nobodies surprise.

The Falcons look like trash.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

LUGZ wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 am After watching most of the games yesterday, here are some random thoughts.

1: We played an especially sloppy game vs our main competition in the NFC. It wasn't just week 1 stuff, but we played inexcusably sloppy. The Rams and Seahawks will beat us easily if we play like that again.

2: The Rams defense looked very average last night. Yes they only gave up 14 points but that was due to the bears offense having no teeth to it. Dalton was still moving the ball and their run defense was almost non-existent. Raheem Morris as it turns out is not a one to one replacement for Staley. Brady and the offense will carve up the Rams defense with ease.

I hate to say this but I couldn’t agree with you more
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think the Giants should try trade for Watson. Daniel Jones didn’t play well again
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Ravens lost all their RBs and get a 35 yard TD run from Ty’son Williams on 4th and 1. This team knows who they are.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 pm The Ravens lost all their RBs and get a 35 yard TD run from Ty’son Williams on 4th and 1. This team knows who they are.
I thought the Ravens were steamrolling the Raiders and turned it

Tie ball game 24-24 under 2 minutes
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Crocaneers wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:22 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 pm The Ravens lost all their RBs and get a 35 yard TD run from Ty’son Williams on 4th and 1. This team knows who they are.
I thought the Ravens were steamrolling the Raiders and turned it

Tie ball game 24-24 under 2 minutes
Raiders have hung tough. This has been an excellent football game.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Geeesh.. its fun watching Gruden.

MNF did not disappoint (especially since I really don't care) just good football
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Ravens defense is gased
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

I wanted to see the replay because it looked like he pushed off, but no it was just terrible coverage
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Lol raiders fucked up
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

Wow, what a turnaround after that overturned TD
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

So this game went from TD Raiders game over in OT to INT in the endzone by Carr and a tie game. Man the NFL is great!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 pm So this game went from TD Raiders game over in OT to INT in the endzone by Carr and a tie game. Man the NFL is great!
You disappoint me. Classic opportunity to throw the race card. Must be getting soft in your old age.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 pm So this game went from TD Raiders game over in OT to INT in the endzone by Carr and a tie game. Man the NFL is great!
I'd say it's the second best game of the week

I'm on the West Coast this week and its awesome not even being 9PM

And we have a fumble ..... unfreakingreal
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Wait so Gruden intentionally took a delay penalty? I'm confused
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

AND CARR THROWS A TD TO WIN IT! This ending had so many twists and turns! Wow!
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

OTs seem like they are usually boring or one-sided. Not this one, that was fun.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Good game.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Wow what a way to wrap up week one. Incredible finish
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Happy for Nassib too
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Wow what a way to finish week 1. Two best games of the week were the first and the last.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What a fucking MNF. Wild. Just Wild.

Gruden almost cost me. Can't believe they almost blew that the way they did. Just wow.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Late to the party...but the Steelers are going to be good once that line gels into shape. Their receivers are excellent. Harris played better than the box score would indicate, and the Bills have a voracious defense. Ben still makes good decisions with the ball. The defense is nasty and Melvin Ingram is the FA signing of the year through one week.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Man, Gruden got fat. I mean, he ain't Andy Reid, but he's getting there.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Moozician wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 am Man, Gruden got fat. I mean, he ain't Andy Reid, but he's getting there.
Dude is 58. Obviously not all 58 year olds get chunky, but it's probably a hell of a lot harder to handle your metabolism at 60 than it is at 40.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Might be for the best that Lamar Jackson is negotiating his own contract but that game despite how it ended makes the case for "let's see how it goes"
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

MJW wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:10 am
Moozician wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 am Man, Gruden got fat. I mean, he ain't Andy Reid, but he's getting there.
Dude is 58. Obviously not all 58 year olds get chunky, but it's probably a hell of a lot harder to handle your metabolism at 60 than it is at 40.
The guy almost ran over my foot at Avila in his golf cart,he Dgaf at all.
he has gained about 30 lbs since then. He used to jog every morning early like 4:30 am
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Uh oh.. the next USC coach?
The Urban Meyer era in Jacksonville may be off to a shaky start even before the Week 1 games are over. The Jaguars' morale has suffered and Meyer has apparently rubbed various players and coaches the wrong way, according to a report published Sunday by CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

"He has everyone looking over their shoulders already," a source with direct knowledge of the daily operations in Jacksonville told La Canfora. "He becomes unhinged way too easily, and he doesn't know how to handle losing, even in the preseason. He loses it and wants to take over the drills himself. It's not good."

"You can't freak out about preseason games and belittle your coaches — on a staff you handpicked — every time things don't go your way. It's not going to work here," another source told La Canfora.

This is not the first time a report came out with concerns from people around the Jaguars about Meyer's early transition as a first-time NFL head coach in Jacksonville. In late August, CBS Sports' Pete Prisco revealed what sources with knowledge of the situation were saying about the Jaguars' preseason under Meyer.

"I heard he had a rough go at it last week just because he lost his first preseason game," Prisco told CBS Sports Radio's Damon Amendolara. "That's not an attitude that you need to have in the NFL. So he's got to change a few things. He brought a lot of college-like things to the (franchise) that I don't think I necessarily agree with. I've heard some of the players aren't thrilled with him either, including having a microphone on the field — one of his assistants on the field during practice with a boom mic telling guys to hydrate, hustle and get to the next period.

"Obviously, he's a work in progress and he's been a good coach everywhere he's been. It's a lot different when you recruit guys to your school and have a bunch of the top players — the five-stars — than it is when you're trying to build something. It's going to be a challenge. I'm not giving up on what he can do in his first two games. It don't think that's fair to him and I don't think that is fair to his quarterbacks, but they're not off to a good start."

Asked by Amendolara if there was any particular risk factor that could lead to Meyer — who won three national championships at the collegiate level — having a short stay in Jacksonville, Prisco said that a college-like approach to the NFL could be what spells doom if anything does. Prisco also highlighted the pressure Meyer has to win has only been amplified by the resources that have been given to the coach at his request.

"He took the job with the idea that Trevor Lawrence would be his quarterback," Prisco said. "You were drawn to the job because of that. He's been given carte blanche there. From everything he's changed inside the building — they've added a bunch of new things. Cryotherapy has been added in that building at his request. He has the biggest coaching staff in the NFL. It's enormous. There's a stretching coach for every position when they stretch so that they all get the proper stretch. The team has gone above and beyond what he has requested, so now he has to win.

COMMENTS
Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

"And the problem is he says he's got the best of the best on his coaching staff. It's clear that the offense is a disaster right now. They have no idea what they are doing. They don't have speed outside ... they're not a fast team. And that's something they preached all offseason, and it shows up with the quarterback. They have problems and a week to fix them, or a couple before the regular season. But right now, they do not look very good
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:41 am Uh oh.. the next USC coach?
The Urban Meyer era in Jacksonville may be off to a shaky start even before the Week 1 games are over. The Jaguars' morale has suffered and Meyer has apparently rubbed various players and coaches the wrong way, according to a report published Sunday by CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

"He has everyone looking over their shoulders already," a source with direct knowledge of the daily operations in Jacksonville told La Canfora. "He becomes unhinged way too easily, and he doesn't know how to handle losing, even in the preseason. He loses it and wants to take over the drills himself. It's not good."

"You can't freak out about preseason games and belittle your coaches — on a staff you handpicked — every time things don't go your way. It's not going to work here," another source told La Canfora.

This is not the first time a report came out with concerns from people around the Jaguars about Meyer's early transition as a first-time NFL head coach in Jacksonville. In late August, CBS Sports' Pete Prisco revealed what sources with knowledge of the situation were saying about the Jaguars' preseason under Meyer.

"I heard he had a rough go at it last week just because he lost his first preseason game," Prisco told CBS Sports Radio's Damon Amendolara. "That's not an attitude that you need to have in the NFL. So he's got to change a few things. He brought a lot of college-like things to the (franchise) that I don't think I necessarily agree with. I've heard some of the players aren't thrilled with him either, including having a microphone on the field — one of his assistants on the field during practice with a boom mic telling guys to hydrate, hustle and get to the next period.

"Obviously, he's a work in progress and he's been a good coach everywhere he's been. It's a lot different when you recruit guys to your school and have a bunch of the top players — the five-stars — than it is when you're trying to build something. It's going to be a challenge. I'm not giving up on what he can do in his first two games. It don't think that's fair to him and I don't think that is fair to his quarterbacks, but they're not off to a good start."

Asked by Amendolara if there was any particular risk factor that could lead to Meyer — who won three national championships at the collegiate level — having a short stay in Jacksonville, Prisco said that a college-like approach to the NFL could be what spells doom if anything does. Prisco also highlighted the pressure Meyer has to win has only been amplified by the resources that have been given to the coach at his request.

"He took the job with the idea that Trevor Lawrence would be his quarterback," Prisco said. "You were drawn to the job because of that. He's been given carte blanche there. From everything he's changed inside the building — they've added a bunch of new things. Cryotherapy has been added in that building at his request. He has the biggest coaching staff in the NFL. It's enormous. There's a stretching coach for every position when they stretch so that they all get the proper stretch. The team has gone above and beyond what he has requested, so now he has to win.

COMMENTS
Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

"And the problem is he says he's got the best of the best on his coaching staff. It's clear that the offense is a disaster right now. They have no idea what they are doing. They don't have speed outside ... they're not a fast team. And that's something they preached all offseason, and it shows up with the quarterback. They have problems and a week to fix them, or a couple before the regular season. But right now, they do not look very good
No chance. He’s sick of recruiting, apparently. You don’t bail on a job like this a few games in. Trevor Lawrence is the real deal. He’s also still obsessed with Ohio State and talks to Ryan Day weekly about game planning (lol).

nobody expected him to turn the team picking number one overall into a playoff contender overnight.