Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:38 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:05 am

They lead the league in yards allowed. Lead the league in fewest first downs allowed and lead that category by a margin of 46. First in expected points contributed. Second in defensive DVOA. 3rd most turnovers created. They are most assuredly dominant.
Had to be a hard road against all those really bad/backup/rookie QB's they faced, huh?
They've beaten Burrow, Purdy, Lamar, and Trevor Lawrence. With backup or 3rd string QB's of their own.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:46 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:38 am

Had to be a hard road against all those really bad/backup/rookie QB's they faced, huh?
They've beaten Burrow, Purdy, Lamar, and Trevor Lawrence. With backup or 3rd string QB's of their own.
Yeah, just making sure we're on the same page that the coach who built that "dominating" defense, said "no thanks" to Mayfield.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:46 am

Yeah, just making sure we're on the same page that the coach who built that "dominating" defense, said "no thanks" to Mayfield.
Do we think he would have if he'd played like 2023 Mayfield back in 2021? I certainly wouldn't be defending him if he looked like 2021 Mayfield this year, but I don't have to because he hasn't.

This has been the best year of his career. With us. In a brand new offense. Why are we harping on stuff from two years ago? Two years ago we made Jalen Hurts look like a Pop Warner QB in the playoffs. Things change quickly.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I'm curious.... how many of the "We need to extend Mayfield" crowd said the same thing about Freeman and Winston. LOL. It's amazing, every time we have a mediocre to below average QB who puts up decent numbers (except for the one that matters... WINS), so many want to crown these guys. The fact is, for as much as people want to bash Cleveland (not like they don't deserve it), we've never in our history had a franchise QB to hold over that over their heads.

The best way to find a franchise QB is through the draft, not someone else's cast off's. If we don't have a GM who can do that, as he's now 0-1, then maybe it's time to find someone else. Finding a stop-gap who can make you "not suck", only keeps you in the realm of "we don't suck". You never win anything with those guys.

From what I've read, there's like 5 or 6 QB's in this draft that are seen as 1st round talent. Let's get one. Even if we have to trade up into the top 5 to get their guy, but get it done. Pissing away money on a guy like Mayfield only prevents us from not sucking. If people want to have a team that 7-10, 8-9, or 9-8 every year, then you should want Mayfield to be extended. If you want this team to be on a path to be a championship contender, then moving on from Mayfield this off-season is the direction you should hope for.

Yeah, I know... tHe DrAfT iS a CrApShOoT, well if our GM can't get us a franchise QB, then replace him. Why want that same GM to keep giving us "bleh" QB's, just so that he can keep his job?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:33 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm

Do we think he would have if he'd played like 2023 Mayfield back in 2021? I certainly wouldn't be defending him if he looked like 2021 Mayfield this year, but I don't have to because he hasn't.

This has been the best year of his career. With us. In a brand new offense. Why are we harping on stuff from two years ago? Two years ago we made Jalen Hurts look like a Pop Warner QB in the playoffs. Things change quickly.
Career year? Sorry dude, 2020 was better than 2023. He had an 11-win season, a higher QBR, and had a lesser team around him (in total), in 2020 than he does in 2023 in Tampa. He had a brand new offense in 2020 also. No one's harping, just pointing out that a guy who no one wanted the last 2 off-seasons, is still performing at the same level as his best year... when no one wanted him then.

Jalen Hurts was a first year starter... Mayfield is a 6-year veteran. What is it with people setting the same bar for rookies/1st year starters and 6-year veterans????

Mayfield, with Stefanski in 2020 made the playoffs... in 2021, with Stefanski, after a year in the same system, he went 6-8 in 14 starts. He regressed. That's the reason that they moved on from him. That same coach is still there and they're going to win 11+ games again this year and make the playoffs. They didn't want Mayfield. Whether that was Cleveland, New England, Kansas City, or Arizona, is irrelevant. A coach who won with a guy... saw regression, replaced him, and they're winning without him. Meanwhile, here Mayfield is, again, mediocre like he was in Cleveland and we have some people here wanting to extend him.

First 5 years...

This guy: 61.4%, 16,288 yards, 4.5 TD%, 2.8 Int%, 86.5 passer rating... 31-38 in 69 career starts
That guy: 61.3%, 19,373 yards, 4.7 TD%, 3.5 Int%, 86.9 passer rating... 28-42 in 70 career starts

One guy you want to give an extension to, the other guy we kicked out... which one is Mayfield - which one is Winston? Then, try and make a LOGICAL argument why one deserved the extension while the other is a backup.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:43 pm I'm curious.... how many of the "We need to extend Mayfield" crowd said the same thing about Freeman and Winston. LOL. It's amazing, every time we have a mediocre to below average QB who puts up decent numbers (except for the one that matters... WINS), so many want to crown these guys. The fact is, for as much as people want to bash Cleveland (not like they don't deserve it), we've never in our history had a franchise QB to hold over that over their heads.

The best way to find a franchise QB is through the draft, not someone else's cast off's. If we don't have a GM who can do that, as he's now 0-1, then maybe it's time to find someone else. Finding a stop-gap who can make you "not suck", only keeps you in the realm of "we don't suck". You never win anything with those guys.

From what I've read, there's like 5 or 6 QB's in this draft that are seen as 1st round talent. Let's get one. Even if we have to trade up into the top 5 to get their guy, but get it done. Pissing away money on a guy like Mayfield only prevents us from not sucking. If people want to have a team that 7-10, 8-9, or 9-8 every year, then you should want Mayfield to be extended. If you want this team to be on a path to be a championship contender, then moving on from Mayfield this off-season is the direction you should hope for.

Yeah, I know... tHe DrAfT iS a CrApShOoT, well if our GM can't get us a franchise QB, then replace him. Why want that same GM to keep giving us "bleh" QB's, just so that he can keep his job?
Freeman was a drug addict and Winston a lunatic. We also basically had the opportunity to draft Winston because Freeman was such a disaster.

And the only time we've ever won anything with this team is with someone else's castoffs.

Letting Mayfield go and drafting the 6th best QB with the 20th pick is also a path to mediocrity.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:29 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:43 pm I'm curious.... how many of the "We need to extend Mayfield" crowd said the same thing about Freeman and Winston. LOL. It's amazing, every time we have a mediocre to below average QB who puts up decent numbers (except for the one that matters... WINS), so many want to crown these guys. The fact is, for as much as people want to bash Cleveland (not like they don't deserve it), we've never in our history had a franchise QB to hold over that over their heads.

Freeman was a drug addict and Winston a lunatic.

ItsABucsLife!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:09 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:33 pm

Career year? Sorry dude, 2020 was better than 2023. He had an 11-win season, a higher QBR, and had a lesser team around him (in total), in 2020 than he does in 2023 in Tampa. He had a brand new offense in 2020 also. No one's harping, just pointing out that a guy who no one wanted the last 2 off-seasons, is still performing at the same level as his best year... when no one wanted him then.

Jalen Hurts was a first year starter... Mayfield is a 6-year veteran. What is it with people setting the same bar for rookies/1st year starters and 6-year veterans????

Mayfield, with Stefanski in 2020 made the playoffs... in 2021, with Stefanski, after a year in the same system, he went 6-8 in 14 starts. He regressed. That's the reason that they moved on from him. That same coach is still there and they're going to win 11+ games again this year and make the playoffs. They didn't want Mayfield. Whether that was Cleveland, New England, Kansas City, or Arizona, is irrelevant. A coach who won with a guy... saw regression, replaced him, and they're winning without him. Meanwhile, here Mayfield is, again, mediocre like he was in Cleveland and we have some people here wanting to extend him.

First 5 years...

This guy: 61.4%, 16,288 yards, 4.5 TD%, 2.8 Int%, 86.5 passer rating... 31-38 in 69 career starts
That guy: 61.3%, 19,373 yards, 4.7 TD%, 3.5 Int%, 86.9 passer rating... 28-42 in 70 career starts

One guy you want to give an extension to, the other guy we kicked out... which one is Mayfield - which one is Winston? Then, try and make a LOGICAL argument why one deserved the extension while the other is a backup.
So you want to argue about 6 year vet QB's vs. rookies or 2nd years and then not include their 6th year in a comparison of statistics? Yeah, this is a career year for Baker. His "best" year in Cleveland was also aided by a top 5 running game. Let's give him that now as a 6th year veteran and see where it takes us. We don't have to commit 5 years to him. You can commit 1-2 and compete. If he regresses or we aren't closer to the top of the mountain surrounding him with talent then move on.

Are we really not excited to have a game that matters on Sunday for something more than what fucking draft pick we have?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Freeman was a drug addict and Winston a lunatic. We also basically had the opportunity to draft Winston because Freeman was such a disaster.

And the only time we've ever won anything with this team is with someone else's castoffs.

Letting Mayfield go and drafting the 6th best QB with the 20th pick is also a path to mediocrity.
Wait, the 6th best qb in this draft is a path to mediocrity... even though you have no idea who it is, but Mayfield isn't? Are you serious Clark?

Also, the guy who would be picking that 6th QB in this draft is the same guy who picked Mayfield. What makes you think he got Mayfield right but would be wrong with the rookie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jackson the 5th qb taken in the draft that Mayfield went #1? LOL
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:33 pm

First 5 years...

So you want to argue about 6 year vet QB's vs. rookies or 2nd years and then not include their 6th year in a comparison of statistics? Yeah, this is a career year for Baker. His "best" year in Cleveland was also aided by a top 5 running game. Let's give him that now as a 6th year veteran and see where it takes us. We don't have to commit 5 years to him. You can commit 1-2 and compete. If he regresses or we aren't closer to the top of the mountain surrounding him with talent then move on.

Are we really not excited to have a game that matters on Sunday for something more than what fucking draft pick we have?
Not sure what your 1st question means. I'm not bringing up rookie and 1st year starters... that was you who brought up Hurts, not me.

Yeah, the Browns had Chubb, but he didn't have anyone as good as Evans or Godwin either. So what's your point... if you give him elite talent to work with he'll be good? I think any QB would do that. No need to waste money on Mayfield for that.

If we extend him and he regresses (lol, like thats really an "if"), what happens is we have a roster that we wasted a year on and we still need a qb.

I like how you dodged the question by saying Winston and Freeman were nuts. Props.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:07 pm

Wait, the 6th best qb in this draft is a path to mediocrity... even though you have no idea who it is, but Mayfield isn't? Are you serious Clark?

Also, the guy who would be picking that 6th QB in this draft is the same guy who picked Mayfield. What makes you think he got Mayfield right but would be wrong with the rookie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jackson the 5th qb taken in the draft that Mayfield went #1? LOL
If I had to guess it's J.J. McCarthy who will be over-drafted. Don't know if he'll be 4th or 6th or what. If there's 5 gone at the 20th or so pick I'd punt it anyway. I do not think he will be a successful NFL QB in terms of being "elite." No. I think he has been carried by an elite defense and running game. If asked to win the game by himself and elevate his teammates he will fail.

Again, the devil I know is Mayfield. I know what to expect from him in this offense. I feel like I've seen his floor. My "plan" would be to give him a 3 year deal with basically 1.5 of it guaranteed.

Then I would use this deep draft to select another one fairly early to hedge against this year also possibly being Mayfield's ceiling in this offense. I like Bo Nix in round 2 or Joe Milton from Tennessee in round 3.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:09 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:33 pm

Not sure what your 1st question means. I'm not bringing up rookie and 1st year starters... that was you who brought up Hurts, not me.

Yeah, the Browns had Chubb, but he didn't have anyone as good as Evans or Godwin either. So what's your point... if you give him elite talent to work with he'll be good? I think any QB would do that. No need to waste money on Mayfield for that.

If we extend him and he regresses (lol, like thats really an "if"), what happens is we have a roster that we wasted a year on and we still need a qb.

I like how you dodged the question by saying Winston and Freeman were nuts. Props.
You're cutting out arguably Mayfield's best year as a passer in your comparison.

You're losing me. You don't like Mayfield, ok. That's fine. I'm not arguing that he's some elite player. He's good enough. Yes, you surround a good enough player with other elite players and good/great coaching chances are they will do well. What are we talking about here? Mayfield is a QB you have to commit nothing but mid-tier QB money to. If you move on you have to commit draft capital, and late draft capital at that, to the position and then start that player immediately or start Trask.

Why do some of you want to lose games so badly?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

When I found out that Freeman was in the substance abuse program, I was done with him. I for one wanted to not even take the 5th year option on Winston after he groped that Uber driver. He would clearly never grow up and be a real franchise QB. I know a lot of people who felt the same
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He had the third best rushing attack and a far superior offensive line compared to an iOL that gets walked back nearly every snap and a running back room that can't get an inch after contact and you call their offense inferior?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Lamar was a project, that is why he went so late. Lile many projects, he needed the right coaching staff to mold him. If he went to the Browns that year, he would have ended up on the trash heap like many other projects. Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens were probably the only teams he would be the Lamar we have today. Don't act like if Kotter got him that he would be the Lamar he is today
Snake

Post by Snake »

I'm really not trying to be a contrarian, but I don't think Lamar Jackson needed much molding at all. He clearly wasn't a project either. He started six games as a rookie before they handed the reigns over his second season.

he won the MVP at age 22, his second season in the NFL. He had a new offensive coordinator in season 2.

Lamar produced 96 rushing + passing TDs his last two collegiate seasons. Against 19 INTs.

He was a total whiff by the NFL as a whole and its an indictment on the talent evaluation process at the time. A lot of biases were exposed.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm I'm really not trying to be a contrarian, but I don't think Lamar Jackson needed much molding at all. He clearly wasn't a project either. He started six games as a rookie before they handed the reigns over his second season.

he won the MVP at age 22, his second season in the NFL. He had a new offensive coordinator in season 2.

Lamar produced 96 rushing + passing TDs his last two collegiate seasons. Against 19 INTs.

He was a total whiff by the NFL as a whole and its an indictment on the talent evaluation process at the time. A lot of biases were exposed.
I'm very much looking forward to watching him perform in the post-season.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

If Baker plays hurt, struggles during the game and we lose, are we going to cut him a discount for playing hurt?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm I'm really not trying to be a contrarian, but I don't think Lamar Jackson needed much molding at all. He clearly wasn't a project either. He started six games as a rookie before they handed the reigns over his second season.

Mike Mayock had Mason Rudolph tied with Jackson as 5th best QB. With Jackson's speed, athleticism, and arm if he wasn't a project, why was he tied with Mason f-ing Rudolph. Walter Football has him 5 between Rosen and Rudolph. Add to this his 59.1% his last year in college is unheard of for a modern first round QB
Snake

Post by Snake »

When I hear “project QB” I envision at least a couple years marinating on the bench. Just me though.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Jonny wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:43 pm If Baker plays hurt, struggles during the game and we lose, are we going to cut him a discount for playing hurt?
Up to the Bucs front office and coaches. I know Bowles has staked his reputation on Baker. No reason to believe he will change his mind.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:17 pm

Add to this his 59.1% his last year in college is unheard of for a modern first round QB
Josh Allen would like a word with you

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... len-7.html
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Lamar Jackson was a project?????

People will say just about anything huh
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 pm Lamar Jackson was a project?????

Lamar wasn't a "project" to John Harbaugh. He was thrilled when Lamar was available when the Ravens drafted.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:35 pm
Jonny wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:43 pm If Baker plays hurt, struggles during the game and we lose, are we going to cut him a discount for playing hurt?
Up to the Bucs front office and coaches. I know Bowles has staked his reputation on Baker. No reason to believe he will change his mind.
I think if Baker plays on Sunday and beyond, there cannot be any excuses for Baker or Bowles. I don't want to see another episode of 2021 Cleveland Baker who likely hurt his team more than helped them by playing hurt, only to have the excuse factory come to his defense for being selfless, irrespective of horrible results. Maybe Joe Flacco would have given them a better outcome over hurt Baker in 2021 as well.

Carr played hurt against us in our first matchup and he was hot trash, afraid of holding the ball too long and dinking and dunking all game. Jameis would have given the Saints a better shot against us, but a weak coach and a selfish QB did them in.

I will never agree to this idiotic concept many bring up that the backup must be entirely trash, to justify why the coaches choose to play a hurt mediocre player over the backup. KJ Britt should have started against Philly, a game where it was so obvious Devin White was playing hurt and was hurting the team. We know now KJ Britt is a better linebacker than Devin White, which is why White won't be re-signed. I have zero confidence that Bowles or Baker are capable of making the right decision.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:42 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 pm Lamar Jackson was a project?????

Lamar wasn't a "project" to John Harbaugh. He was thrilled when Lamar was available when the Ravens drafted.
Lamar wasn't a project at all. Teams needing QBs simply dropped the ball.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Define project. This is the first year they’ve truly cut him loose as a passer. His inability to win from the pocket has been the reason the Ravens were eliminated from prior postseasons.

By @Snake ’s logic they should have moved on from him long ago because he has held his team back in the playoffs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:46 am Define project. This is the first year they’ve truly cut him loose as a passer. His inability to win from the pocket has been the reason the Ravens were eliminated from prior postseasons.

By @Snake ’s logic they should have moved on from him long ago because he has held his team back in the playoffs.
Not sure that’s a fair comparison, because hasn’t he missed the last three playoff runs due to injury?

And I’m not sure what you mean. His passing attack might be more diverse today. he did throw 36 touchdowns as a sophomore.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 am
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:46 am Define project. This is the first year they’ve truly cut him loose as a passer. His inability to win from the pocket has been the reason the Ravens were eliminated from prior postseasons.

Not sure that’s a fair comparison, because hasn’t he missed the last three playoff runs due to injury?

And I’m not sure what you mean. His passing attack might be more diverse today. he did throw 36 touchdowns as a sophomore.
He's a much better passer now than he was then. He hit deep balls for TDs at an unsustainable rate in that MVP year and regressed mightily the next three seasons. He's 1-3 in post-season play.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:10 am
Snake wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 am

He's a much better passer now than he was then. He hit deep balls for TDs at an unsustainable rate in that MVP year and regressed mightily the next three seasons. He's 1-3 in post-season play.
Absolutely agree that he’s been a postseason disappointment in the time that he’s played in the postseason. This year is a huge test for him. They are the AFC favorites, if not the favorites to win it all.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:41 pm

Lamar was a project, that is why he went so late. Lile many projects, he needed the right coaching staff to mold him. If he went to the Browns that year, he would have ended up on the trash heap like many other projects. Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens were probably the only teams he would be the Lamar we have today. Don't act like if Kotter got him that he would be the Lamar he is today
They won't listen. The entire allure to savior dogma is that the player is so good, so destined for greatness, they'll will themselves to it anywhere. That's what makes it so seductive.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:37 pm
kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:17 pm

Add to this his 59.1% his last year in college is unheard of for a modern first round QB

Didn't Anthony Richardson also complete like 14% of his passes (I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit). I still don't like AR, but GMs see the potential, and lick their chops.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:33 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:37 pm

Didn't Anthony Richardson also complete like 14% of his passes (I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit). I still don't like AR, but GMs see the potential, and lick their chops.
Yea him too but he hasn't had the successes of Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson.

I think @kaimaru was trying to make a case that QBs who complete 50-something percent in college aren't drafted high and are considered projects. Neither of them were projects when they got drafted and have both done well to quell the accuracy concerns.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Completion percentage is absolutely one of the metrics scouting departments use to try to pick their QB.

Sometimes it helps tell you something, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it betrays you. Remember, all models are wrong, but some are useful.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

The concept of a project is entirely dependent on what the coaching staff wants their QB to be. Lamar Jackson has been a work in progress as a reliable on script passer. In that sense, he has been a project if the expectation from him is to be like Mahomes. But because he is such a spectacular talent, he has still been good enough to be a playoff QB on a solid team with a scheme centered around taking advantage of his feet. Wasn't Greg Roman literally elevated to OC after the Ravens got to see what Jackson had to offer in 5-6 games as a rookie? In Roman's system, Jackson was never a project.