Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:37 pm Robinson would be my first choice, got a feeling he may follow Raheem to Atlanta. But money talks
You'd be correct

Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Great hire. I really do think Raheem is really going to be much better the second time around. Just can't repeat the Freeman pick. But I think he has rope.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:42 pm Great hire. I really do think Raheem is really going to be much better the second time around. Just can't repeat the Freeman pick. But I think he has rope.
Unfortunately for us, I think he will be too. Needs the QB situation sorted out first and foremost, but Atlanta has talent.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I really have a feeling our new OC will be Thad Lewis- I think the Buc’s don’t want to lose him and I think this is the only way they keep him.
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I like Thad. I do. Watched him in HS down south. He's a total FL guy. He's a total home grown product of this winning regime. I think he's a rising star.

But I think we're ready to win now and I'd just feel more comfortable with an OC with more experience who can start faster. Canales had 12 years. That's a lot. Thad would have to really impress imo. But I'm not in the room. Maybe he does.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Robinson was the best option. Same offence, knows Baker, hot young name from the McVay tree…

That sucks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Another one we interviewed gone

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:26 pm I like Thad. I do. Watched him in HS down south. He's a total FL guy. He's a total home grown product of this winning regime. I think he's a rising star.

But I think we're ready to win now and I'd just feel more comfortable with an OC with more experience who can start faster. Canales had 12 years. That's a lot. Thad would have to really impress imo. But I'm not in the room. Maybe he does.
I’m not saying he is ready or that I want him, I am solely saying that I think he will get the job based on the organization not wanting him to go somewhere else. We shall see
I said what I said

Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I think we likely end up going with Johnson or Dorsey. Don’t see them going with Thad Lewis, I get the feeling Bowles wants some experience.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Not really surprising. Bowels is not a coach people really want to work for. I would imagine he is as dull as dirt in the interviews.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:10 am I think we likely end up going with Johnson or Dorsey. Don’t see them going with Thad Lewis, I get the feeling Bowles wants some experience.
I prefer to be wrong in my prediction tbh
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:10 am I think we likely end up going with Johnson or Dorsey. Don’t see them going with Thad Lewis, I get the feeling Bowles wants some experience.
Bowles didn't seem to mind the guy without OC experience last year. Look how that turned out.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:42 pm Great hire. I really do think Raheem is really going to be much better the second time around. Just can't repeat the Freeman pick. But I think he has rope.
What will they do at QB?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Al Bundy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 am Not really surprising. Bowels is not a coach people really want to work for. I would imagine he is as dull as dirt in the interviews.
You imagine a lot of moronic things.

Yeah, I'm sure they all looked at Canales time here and said no thanks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:50 am
What will they do at QB?
I don't what they will do. But I know they won't rely on a guy like Desmond Ridder. They have to realize the mistake they made in not at least attempting to make an offer to Lamar Jackson or trying to move up for a QB in the draft.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:30 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:50 am

What will they do at QB?
I don't what they will do. But I know they won't rely on a guy like Desmond Ridder. They have to realize the mistake they made in not at least attempting to make an offer to Lamar Jackson or trying to move up for a QB in the draft.
I agree that just letting Ridder have the job was done, but going after Lamar would have been a waste of time. He was always gonna stay in Baltimore.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:27 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:30 am

I agree that just letting Ridder have the job was done, but going after Lamar would have been a waste of time. He was always gonna stay in Baltimore.
You're probably right. But I think the optics of it would've matter. Would've also shown Ridder that his leash wasn't all that long and if he was going to be the guy for the 2023 season he'd better bring his A game. Instead he was basically given red carpet treatment and we see how that worked.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:18 am
Al Bundy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 am Not really surprising. Bowels is not a coach people really want to work for. I would imagine he is as dull as dirt in the interviews.
You imagine a lot of moronic things.

Yeah, I'm sure they all looked at Canales time here and said no thanks.
They did take other jobs... but keep on kissing Bowels ass.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

real bucs fan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:55 pm Robinson was the best option. Same offence, knows Baker, hot young name from the McVay tree…

That sucks.
He knows Baker and went the other way, you say? Weird.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Ken Dorsey going to Browns as OC. Bucs may promote Thad Lewis by default.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

If we’re promoting Thad Lewis… let’s hope Baker is a believer in Thad.

I just sense Thad is still too green, you don’t want to rush these things for your team or the coaches sake.

Not feeling too great how things have gone ever since that missed TO by Bowles. Kinda seems this offseason is snowballing into a full blown disaster….
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

You have to consider that the uncertain future of Bowles may cause more established OC candidates to shy away. I still think we are targeting a guy still on an active coaching staff who used to play for the Buccaneers.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:44 am You have to consider that the uncertain future of Bowles may cause more established OC candidates to shy away. I still think we are targeting a guy still on an active coaching staff who used to play for the Buccaneers.
You think Bowles future is more "uncertain" than that of Nick Sirianni or Kevin Stefanski?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I guess he's the most suitable choice as OC remaining.out there.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:12 am I guess he's the most suitable choice as OC remaining.out there.
I personally would like to see Brian Griese as OC.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Mayfield certainly familiar with Van Pelt. Had a great 2020 under Van Pelt and even won a playoff game where Van Pelt was the HC. If entices Mayfield back, I’ll be for it, it does mean a new offence for everyone else to learn…
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:38 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:12 am I guess he's the most suitable choice as OC remaining.out there.
I hadn't thought about him as being the coach you were referring to earlier. That could be a good selection.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:23 am
Be curious to see if he walks away from Mayfield too.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:51 am
13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:44 am You have to consider that the uncertain future of Bowles may cause more established OC candidates to shy away. I still think we are targeting a guy still on an active coaching staff who used to play for the Buccaneers.
You think Bowles future is more "uncertain" than that of Nick Sirianni or Kevin Stefanski?
I think Stefanski is very locked in. Sirianni???? Not so much. If I had to say, job security would be 1. Stefanski 2. Bowles 3. Sirianni
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 am
13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:38 am

I hadn't thought about him as being the coach you were referring to earlier. That could be a good selection.
I would not be opposed to this idea. Their offense seems to be similar to the one that Bowles would prefer to run. It's also why Van Pelt is a good option as well.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I would love to bring AVP back home. Rumor was he was a Baker fan and didn't like how they did him dirty. He was also the one to call the plays for their big play off win. He was able to fool us all with Freeman for a year and was Rodgers QB coach during 3 of his peak years, including an MVP. I don't know how much of a hand he had in Flacco's CBPOY saga, but it doesn't hurt that it happened.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:11 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:51 am

I think Stefanski is very locked in. Sirianni???? Not so much. If I had to say, job security would be 1. Stefanski 2. Bowles 3. Sirianni
If hitching your wagon to the wrong first round QB is a kiss of death for a HC, what's it when you trade all your firsts and commit $250M?