Welcome Chris Braswell

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BuccaNOLEer

Welcome Chris Braswell

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Edge Rusher from Bama!! I am shocked but in a good way that he lasted this long as a lot of pundits had him going on day one!!! This is first round talent!!!

Licht is drafting to fill needs this time around. He isn't looking for BPA
Babeinbucland

Re: Welcome Chris Braswell

Post by Babeinbucland »

I said what I said

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Very good value for this spot.
Last edited by Redrum on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Please be good

Welcome aboard.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

For those who do not know much about Chris Braswell, I am a fan of the Alabama Crimson Tide and I have a player comp for you: YaYa Diaby
Snake

Post by Snake »

With EDGE guys like this, you just won’t know until they put pads on and start hitting in camp.

Hope it works out. We will have to take a look.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I didn't watch him at all, but productive at a powerhouse where you have to battle every day in practice against future NFL talent? I'm good with it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Think they wanted Kneeland.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:21 pm Think they wanted Kneeland.
Creed Humphrey, Kneeland…

There’s another I’m forgetting.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Don't hate the pick value wise. But is he the right sort of player?

His major weakness is he can't bend from everything I've seen and read. I'm not sure about loading up edges who are all the same type. This guy is another Diaby type who is althetic and has power but not much in the pass rush tool kit and will never be an edge that turns the corner and wins the edge clean and fast.

I think the value was there to still pick a game changing WR in an elite WR draft with Troy Franklin etc. I would've bypassed edge in this bad edge rushing class now the best guys were off the board. As I said, don't hate it but don't love it either.
Last edited by Barnzy on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Jonny wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:08 pm For those who do not know much about Chris Braswell, I am a fan of the Alabama Crimson Tide and I have a player comp for you: YaYa Diaby
I didn't watch really any Bama this year so thank you for the comparable. YaYa still has room to grow as a player do if we have another, I'll be thrilled
Snake

Post by Snake »

Barnzy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 pm Don't hate the pick value wise. But is he the right sort of player?

His major weakness is he can't bend from everything I've seen and read. I'm not sure about loading up edges who are all the same type. This guy is another Diaby type who is althetic and has power but not much in the pass rush tool kit and will never be an edge that turns the corner and wins the edge clean and fast.

I think the value was there to still pick a game changing WR in an elite WR with Troy Franklin etc. I would've bypassed edge in this bad edge rushing class now the best guys were off the board. As I said, don't hate it but don't love it either.
Bowles has a type
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I'm kind of bummed we got Braswell tbh. The guy is more a good athlete than a pass rusher and we've already had a bunch of those in Diaby and JTS.

I wish Licht and Bowles for once went the technician route for this position. Jonah Ellis, Booker, Mo Kamara are those guys. They could still have a chance to draft them in the 3rd, but I wish they went with a different position. Now it's a guarantee we won't go the technician route.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Jonny wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:30 pm I'm kind of bummed we got Braswell tbh. The guy is more a good athlete than a pass rusher and we've already had a bunch of those in Diaby and JTS.

I wish Licht and Bowles for once went the technician route for this position. Jonah Ellis, Booker, Mo Kamara are those guys. They could still have a chance to draft them in the 3rd, but I wish they went with a different position. Now it's a guarantee we won't go the technician route.
One may argue that look at the majority of draft picks in the Arians and Bowles regimes shows a trend; they value athleticism more than anything and figure they can coach up those athletes into good football players. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'll have to watch some more of Bradwell before I hard commit to an opinion, but I seem to recall him being okay with boom/bust potential. It worries me a bit when the round a guy is drafted in is the same number as his total collegiate starts: Two in both cases for Mr Braswell.

Here's hoping he turns it on.
Last edited by Cheb on Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I wasn't impressed from what I saw or read. Don't see YaYa. Think a little further back...I see Noah Spence.
Most hated man in America.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

A lot of mixed opinions, just hope he pans out. Alls not lost, hopefully have a good third round.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm
Barnzy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 pm Don't hate the pick value wise. But is he the right sort of player?

I think the value was there to still pick a game changing WR in an elite WR with Troy Franklin etc. I would've bypassed edge in this bad edge rushing class now the best guys were off the board. As I said, don't hate it but don't love it either.
Bowles has a type
Indeed he does.

Even if you single out just his highlights, a lot of these so called best plays are just clean up stuff and not clear wins by him individually. Or bad QB play running into pressure/coverage sacks.

I see a lot of stiffness and pass rush style is super upright. Basically doesn't bend his hips at all going to the QB. He didn't test for agility, and there is a reason for why he didn't test for it. Would've probably nose dived his RAS score and draft stock.

Fingers crossed they can coach him up a bit.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Barnzy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:58 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm

Bowles has a type
Indeed he does.

Even if you single out just his highlights, a lot of these so called best plays are just clean up stuff and not clear wins by him individually. Or bad QB play running into pressure/coverage sacks.

I see a lot of stiffness and pass rush style is super upright. Basically doesn't bend his hips at all going to the QB. He didn't test for agility, and there is a reason for why he didn't test for it. Would've probably nose dived his RAS score and draft stock.

Fingers crossed they can coach him up a bit.

That's what it is, they see something and think they can coach him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:50 pm I wasn't impressed from what I saw or read. Don't see YaYa. Think a little further back...I see Noah Spence.
l agree, Noah Spence is the one that comes to mind for me as well.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Don't like the pick. Too much pattycake at the LOS.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Lots of great traits, let’s see if he can be coached up. JTS you are on notice!!!
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

real bucs fan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 am Lots of great traits, let’s see if he can be coached up. JTS you are on notice!!!
Therein lies the issue.

JTS has not been able to be coached up. Is that his fault or the dline coaches fault.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sometimes there’s nothing that can be done. A player’s talent level/ceiling is what it is.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am Sometimes there’s nothing that can be done. A player’s talent level/ceiling is what it is.
Sometimes there just aren’t guys that make it outside the first 20 picks or so. That draft was one of them. Only a handful of players picked after JTS have made any kind of impact.

Not always the player’s fault or the GM’s fault.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bingo. It's amazing to me how hindsight haters will always be like "he drafted this bust!" Like it's a sin in a silo. But then you look at that draft and see there was no impact player for 90 picks.

The NFL is just hard. It's hard to make it in every way.

Yet fans live under this delusion that every draft class comes with a few franchise QBs and at least one Hall of Famer in every position.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 am
Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am Sometimes there’s nothing that can be done. A player’s talent level/ceiling is what it is.
Sometimes there just aren’t guys that make it outside the first 20 picks or so. That draft was one of them. Only a handful of players picked after JTS have made any kind of impact.

It’s about maximizing your opportunities. I don’t think drafting Stiff Braswell was doing that.

But we shall see.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 am

It’s about maximizing your opportunities. I don’t think drafting Stiff Braswell was doing that.

But we shall see.
I didn’t love it either, but what do I know? Not every prospect is going to be an All-Pro. He stuck it out as a part time player at Alabama. Played in big games. Made some big splash plays.

I liked that we invested in some players who’ve played in huge games.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Unfortunately Kneeland was taken the pick before this as that was likely our pick and this became “take BPA at DE”
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am Unfortunately Kneeland was taken the pick before this as that was likely our pick and this became “take BPA at DE”
I hope they don’t operate that way but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t seem that way sometimes.

Outside of Barton I’m pretty underwhelmed by this draft.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Been watching a lot of youtube scout types reviews of him and actually feel alright about the pick. A lot of his flaws seem coachable. Seems like he can potentially replace Shaq
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

57. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Chris Braswell, Edge, Alabama

It seems like every year Tampa Bay takes an early swing for an edge rusher, but it always makes sense to do so. Braswell finished with eight sacks, 10.5 tackles for loss and a team-best three forced fumbles last season, despite making only two starts. Although undersized, Braswell (6-3, 251) shows plenty of upside and is a proficient kick blocker. He could wind up being a player like Leonard Floyd.
Not quite sure about this pick. @Bootz you follow the 49ers closely, so what's your opinion on Floyd?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

8 sacks and led the SEC in pressures. That’s not nothing. Even if he’s just rotational and provides depth it’s a good pick at #57.

Fans need to garner some perspective about how the draft works out most of the time. Very few of these guys will even be in the league 4-5 years from now. Even fewer become true impact players. You’ll get even fewer Pro Bowlers. A handful of All-Pros. And 1-2 HOFers.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I reported on Saturday, the Bucs were going to pass on Western Michigan pass rusher Marshawn Kneeland even if Dallas hadn’t drafted him one spot ahead of Tampa Bay at No. 26. They loved Kneeland the player, but some late intel about Kneeland the person prompted the Bucs to move Braswell higher on their draft board. Braswell is also a faster athlete with a 4.6 time in the 40-yard dash, including a 1.59 10-yard split, which is faster than Kneeland’s 4.75 time and 1.66 10-yard split.

Braswell played behind two first-round picks in Will Anderson Jr. and Dallas Turner and had to bide his time. But when he emerged as a starter in 2023 he erupted for eight sacks and three forced fumbles. Braswell came in for a Top 30 visit that went really well and he’s a team-oriented player with some untapped potential as a pass rusher. The Bucs love the fact that when he gets to the QB he finishes, unlike Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, and Braswell is a violent hitter with strong hands. He plays with the ability to generate speed-to-power and has a wicked long-arm move.
- Pewter Report
Backside

Post by Backside »

Special team contributions next season at the very least
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Super positive review with highlights. More excited about him after that.