2021 draft class revisted

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

2021 draft class revisted

Post by Bootz »

Rule of thumb has been give a draft class 3 years to see what you really have. We've completed the 3rd year of our 2021 draft class and the results are......Not good. 3 of the 7 picks are no longer with the team. We'll focus on the 4 that are remaining and in the final year of their rookie deals.

Joe Tryon-Shoyinka
1st round pick# 32

51 games played 34 starts

114 tackled 13 sacks 18 TFL

JTS hasn't developed into the consistent pass rushing force we hoped after drafting him 1st round in 2021. His 5th year option was declined, meaning he'll be a FA after this season. He was demoted late last year and only started 1 of the last 7 games. He likely won't even start this season but should get significant snaps.

Kyle Trask
2nd round pick 64

3 games played

3-10 23 yards 39.6 QB rating

He's been discussed more than any other draft pick from this class. After sitting 2 years behind Tom Brady, the door was open for Trask to take the reigns and become this teams starting QB. Bucs brass said "No thanks" and opted to go with Baker Mayfield. Mayfield excelled and got a new extension. That leaves Trask on the bench barring injury. But given that the path was there for him and the team went elsewhere, doesn't seem there is much confidence in him.

Robert Hainsey
3rd round pick 95

34 starts

Hainsey has started every game at C the last 2 seasons. He's graded as the worst starting C in football. Now it isn't all his fault. He came here as a college OT who had no interior experience and after spending his rookie year as a backup was thrust into a starting role after Ryan Jensen got injured. Hainsey hasn't developed and the team used a 1st round pick on an OL then plan to use at center. His place in the Bucs starting OL is in limbo.

KJ Britt
5th Round pick 176

45 games 4 starts

54 tackles 2 TFL

Britt didn't do much his 1st 2 seasons before he took over for Devin White in a few games late this past season. The result and reactions have been very mixed and polarizing. Some think Britt made the defense better overall. Others feel he's JAG. Who knows. OBP is at least giving him the opportunity to have the starting spot outright next to Lavonte David but some fans are high on Sirvocea Dennis (for reasons unknown).

Jaelon Darden, Chris Wilcox, and Grant Stuard are all elsewhere. It's very conceivable that this will be the last season we have our 2021 draft class represented on the roster.
Last edited by Bootz on Fri May 10, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Re: 2021 draft class revisted

Post by Snake »

It’s pretty horrific draft
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:37 pm It’s pretty horrific draft
Especially Kyle Trask
Snake

Post by Snake »

And I don’t really buy the scheme defense of Trask.

Yeah, he was stuck behind Tom Brady. That sucks.
Yeah, Arians left. Then leftwich.

Trask is still on the roster. They kept him with canales. And they kept him with Coen. If he was such a “misfit,” they wouldn’t have even kept him at all. He was and is still one heartbeat beat from being the starter.

Multiple coaches and coordinators have put eyes on him and decided that he is not worthy of being the penciled in starter. Let’s just assume Baker Mayfield on a given year is the 16th best quarterback in the NFL. Perfectly average on the balance. I guess it’s theoretically possible that trask is the 17th best quarterback and he just got beat out. But if that were the case, they wouldn’t pay Mayfield what they paid him.

Trask was just a bad pick for that situation and time.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What situation? He was a BAD pick. Most second round quarterbacks have started games, but Kyle Trask has not.
Last edited by Phantom on Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Yes, JTS sucks. However, look at the pass rushers drafted after him....that entire 2021 draft was hot garbage producing sacks.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Anddd we have been informed several times that there is a quarterback competition, but it was a lie. As soon as we signed Baker, he became the starting quarterback.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Yeah, not Licht's best draft for sure. Three dudes no longer on the team, the other four are JAGs.

There's a chance that they could experience redemption in year 4. Maybe JTS sees the light, perhaps Trask takes over for an injured Mayfield and shines, Hainsey may be a better guard than center, and Britt might prove at least a competent two-down starter.

Lots of if and maybes there, though. I wouldn't hold my breath.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

What constitutes a below average, average, or great draft? Listening to Bruce Murray and (ugh), Mark Dominic on NFL Radio, as well as others here and there, the consensus seems to be that an "average" draft is hitting on 2 players that you re-signed for legit extensions/new deals. Jason Licht has had 8 drafts that we could reasonably grade. I think we can safely say that he's had a "below average" draft 5 times (2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, & 2021), an "average" draft 1 time (2015), and a great draft 2 times (2018 & 2020).
Last edited by CannonFire on Fri May 10, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah, Mark Dominik is definitely the guy we should be listening to about successful GMing.

You can join his online masterclass for like $100 btw :lol:
Backside

Post by Backside »

A disastrous draft class no doubt.

But I looked for the thread you made last year about revisiting the 2020 draft class and couldn't find it :?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm Yeah, Mark Dominik is definitely the guy we should be listening to about successful GMing.

Yeah, every time I listen to that guy, I'm like... how can I take any evaluation from you seriously. LOL That said, he and Bruce Murray do a Friday show where they grade drafts 4 years after the fact (2 divisions at time... 4 weeks in a row, after the new draft). They grade every teams' draft with hindsight and see how the teams did based on contracts the players got, who signed them, and their production. Now, this is just their show, but their criteria is fairly consistent with most people.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 pm A disastrous draft class no doubt.

But I looked for the thread you made last year about revisiting the 2020 draft class and couldn't find it :?
I gave a short - short version just 2 posts prior to yours. :D
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 pm Yes, JTS sucks. However, look at the pass rushers drafted after him....that entire 2021 draft was hot garbage producing sacks.
THANK YOU! This was an all time bad draft pretty much across the board unless you had a top 20 pick.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I don't know if I was high off the superbowl win or what but I don't remember this draft at all outside of the QB class

Looks like it was a pretty garbage draft for a ton of teams, not just us
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Covid stunted this class.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Wait what????
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins today announced they have acquired a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 second-round pick, cornerback Johnson Bademosi and tackle Julien Davenport from the Houston Texans in exchange for tackle Laremy Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick.
Hahahaha what the hell did Houston have covid on the mind or something?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:32 pm Rule of thumb has been give a draft class 3 years to see what you really have. We've completed the 3rd year of our 2021 draft class and the results are......Not good. 3 of the 7 picks are no longer with the team. We'll focus on the 4 that are remaining and in the final year of their rookie deals.

Joe Tryon-Shoyinka
1st round pick# 32

51 games played 34 starts

114 tackled 13 sacks 18 TFL

JTS hasn't developed into the consistent pass rushing force we hoped after drafting him 1st round in 2021. His 5th year option was declined, meaning he'll be a FA after this season. He was demoted late last year and only started 1 of the last 7 games. He likely won't even start this season but should get significant snaps.

Kyle Trask
2nd round pick 64

3 games played

3-10 23 yards 39.6 QB rating

He's been discussed more than any other draft pick from this class. After sitting 2 years behind Tom Brady, the door was open for Trask to take the reigns and become this teams starting QB. Bucs brass said "No thanks" and opted to go with Baker Mayfield. Mayfield excelled and got a new extension. That leaves Trask on the bench barring injury. But given that the path was there for him and the team went elsewhere, doesn't seem there is much confidence in him.

Robert Hainsey
3rd round pick 95

34 starts

Hainsey has started every game at C the last 2 seasons. He's graded as the worst starting C in football. Now it isn't all his fault. He came here as a college OT who had no interior experience and after spending his rookie year as a backup was thrust into a starting role after Ryan Jensen got injured. Hainsey hasn't developed and the team used a 1st round pick on an OL then plan to use at center. His place in the Bucs starting OL is in limbo.

KJ Britt
5th Round pick 176

45 games 4 starts

54 tackles 2 TFL

Britt didn't do much his 1st 2 seasons before he took over for Devin White in a few games late this past season. The result and reactions have been very mixed and polarizing. Some think Britt made the defense better overall. Others feel he's JAG. Who knows. OBP is at least giving him the opportunity to have the starting spot outright next to Lavonte David but some fans are high on Sirvocea Dennis (for reasons unknown).

Jaelon Darden, Chris Wilcox, and Grant Stuard are all elsewhere. It's very conceivable that this will be the last season we have our 2021 draft class represented on the roster.
When your GM goes into the draft saying that we have no needs and will take luxury picks (IE developmental talent), this is what you get. He was high on the Super Bowl and wasted a draft year
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:39 pm
Snake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm Yeah, Mark Dominik is definitely the guy we should be listening to about successful GMing.

Yeah, every time I listen to that guy, I'm like... how can I take any evaluation from you seriously. LOL That said, he and Bruce Murray do a Friday show where they grade drafts 4 years after the fact (2 divisions at time... 4 weeks in a row, after the new draft). They grade every teams' draft with hindsight and see how the teams did based on contracts the players got, who signed them, and their production. Now, this is just their show, but their criteria is fairly consistent with most people.
Considering the fact he passed on Cam Jordan because he talked too much and one of his tests was having the restaurant mess up the order to see if the player would complain. If they didn't then he took them off his draft board. Clown
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:39 pm
CannonFire wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:39 pm

Considering the fact he passed on Cam Jordan because he talked too much and one of his tests was having the restaurant mess up the order to see if the player would complain. If they didn't then he took them off his draft board. Clown
:lol: :lol: :lol: WTF

That 2011 draft IMO singlehandedly got Dominik fired. I hated the Adrian Clayborn pick from the start. Squatty DE who was relegated to playing ONLY on the right side because of a shoulder issue he's had since birth. What does he do? Double up on a guy with medical red flags in the 2nd with Daquan Bowers. Went about as well as you could expect.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Speaking of which, the 2011 draft as a while was one of the most talented drafts top to bottom. And we came away with absolutely nothing.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:44 pm And I don’t really buy the scheme defense of Trask.

Trask is still on the roster. They kept him with canales. And they kept him with Coen. If he was such a “misfit,” they wouldn’t have even kept him at all. He was and is still one heartbeat beat from being the starter.

Multiple coaches and coordinators have put eyes on him and decided that he is not worthy of being the penciled in starter. Let’s just assume Baker Mayfield on a given year is the 16th best quarterback in the NFL. Perfectly average on the balance. I guess it’s theoretically possible that trask is the 17th best quarterback and he just got beat out. But if that were the case, they wouldn’t pay Mayfield what they paid him.

Except you have no idea if that's the case because you went with Mayfield instead. Hell, maybe Trask is the #9 QB in the NFL and we just didn't get a chance to see it.

We romanticized the NFL and life in general as if its a natural meritocracy but we know everything from timing to coworkers to situation to dumb luck can plays a role.

People who retro label Trask a bad pick are the same people who think they wasted their money if they never use their car insurance. Or the people that think the results are all that determines whether a dumb decision was good or a good decision was dumb.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He couldn’t beat out Blaine Gabbert.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not exactly how that works and you know that but get your shot in.

Now if we're going to bitch about missed shots I gotta go with 2016. That draft was loaded and we missed bad. Hurt extra because both dudes were my easy #1 BPAs at time of their pick too, so I was extra in the sauce. But hey, some drafts be like that.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

He would know firsthand what a bad GM job looks like and he did see what other, good, GMs did

Maybe he was paying attention??
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:41 pm
Snake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:44 pm And I don’t really buy the scheme defense of Trask.

Except you have no idea if that's the case because you went with Mayfield instead. Hell, maybe Trask is the #9 QB in the NFL and we just didn't get a chance to see it.

We romanticized the NFL and life in general as if its a natural meritocracy but we know everything from timing to coworkers to situation to dumb luck can plays a role.

People who retro label Trask a bad pick are the same people who think they wasted their money if they never use their car insurance. Or the people that think the results are all that determines whether a dumb decision was good or a good decision was dumb.
That's why you only get insurance for one month when you renew your plates. Duh!
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

People who label Trask a bad pick had no clue that Baker Mayfield would be available when he was. It is easy to look backwards and 'nail it', but the reality is no GM has that luxury. Hell, every GM including the 49ers was wrong about Brock Purdy... it was dumb luck that the kid even got to start a game.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Yes, the 2021 draft....the one where we could've literally forfeit all our picks and our season/roster would not have been affected in the slightest. In fact, had we skipped the draft we would've need to fill those roster slots with other UDFAs/FAs which would've almost certainly net us more than the 0 return we got from that rookie class.

Pathetic.

Btw, I remember calling out that dogshit draft the weekend it happened, especially the Trash pick. Many disagreed with me....
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

You of course don't realize this but you're trying to straddle so many fences here you've sort of thrown the Bucs FO & coaching staff under the bus by saying Trask "could be the #9 QB in the league". That would speak to a level of incompetence for going with the 16th best guy when the 9th best was already here and was cheaper.

As I stated you of course don't realize what you're doing because you're trying to every which way to stay on the straight and narrow with your hopium bullshit. But the picture you just painted doesn't add up.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Jason Licht said recently to NBC that the QB competition was really really close, with Baker getting the nod after the second preseason game and his previous starting experience and playoff exposure putting him over Trask. The interesting thing is, he wasn't even asked about Trask or QB competition, the question was simply about how Baker-Bucs worked came together in 23 off season.

People make too much out of things like Trask not being able to beat Gabbert or no team wanting to trade for Trask etc. It comes off as naivete.

Trask was never given a real shot to even be the backup from what I can tell. Arians has always had a man crush with Gabbert as the backup QB. If Gabbert was truly better than Trask, he would not have been kicked to the curb the moment Brady left us.

Now why other teams did not trade for Trask? What film do they have to go by? He was packaged in a shrink wrap and hidden in the pantry without much of a real meaningful development plan. The only team that knows anything about Trask is the Bucs.

I fully agree with Doctor on this one. So much of where you end up in life has to do with being in the right place at the right time. I personally think if Trask has to ever fill in a game for Baker, there won't be much drop off in terms of total production from the passing game.

Trask looks like a meek good boy now, but the dude was a gamer in his own right and put up the most difficult fight against possibly the best Alabama roster that ran roughshod over everyone else including Fields.

Also I'm old enough to now root for youngsters who haven't received an opportunity to succeed one way or the other. It is one thing to criticize a player that has been subpar despite multitude of opportunities, like a JTS. But when it comes to Trask, I feel like there are some sad losers that simply love rooting against.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 am Jason Licht said recently to NBC that the QB competition was really really close, with Baker getting the nod after the second preseason game and his previous starting experience and playoff exposure putting him over Trask. The interesting thing is, he wasn't even asked about Trask or QB competition, the question was simply about how Baker-Bucs worked came together in 23 off season.

People make too much out of things like Trask not being able to beat Gabbert or no team wanting to trade for Trask etc. It comes off as naivete.

Trask was never given a real shot to even be the backup from what I can tell. Arians has always had a man crush with Gabbert as the backup QB. If Gabbert was truly better than Trask, he would not have been kicked to the curb the moment Brady left us.

Now why other teams did not trade for Trask? What film do they have to go by? He was packaged in a shrink wrap and hidden in the pantry without much of a real meaningful development plan. The only team that knows anything about Trask is the Bucs.

I fully agree with Doctor on this one. So much of where you end up in life has to do with being in the right place at the right time. I personally think if Trask has to ever fill in a game for Baker, there won't be much drop off in terms of total production from the passing game.

Trask looks like a meek good boy now, but the dude was a gamer in his own right and put up the most difficult fight against possibly the best Alabama roster that ran roughshod over everyone else including Fields.

Also I'm old enough to now root for youngsters who haven't received an opportunity to succeed one way or the other. It is one thing to criticize a player that has been subpar despite multitude of opportunities, like a JTS. But when it comes to Trask, I feel like there are some sad losers that simply love rooting against.
What's interesting is he said it AFTER Baker had a good season with us and we re signed him to a lucrative extension. Why? Because it's irrelevant at that point. Baker has his money. Trask is no threat. But by saying Trask was "close" to starting after the fact it appears to the media and simpletons foolish enough to believe it that Trask is close to being as good as Baker was in 2023.

Reality is instead of getting behind the Kyle Trask train after 2 years of him being here, our coaching staff said "No thanks" and looked elsewhere. 12 months from now Trask likely won't even be under contract here.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:22 am
Jonny wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 am Jason Licht said recently to NBC that the QB competition was really really close, with Baker getting the nod after the second preseason game and his previous starting experience and playoff exposure putting him over Trask. The interesting thing is, he wasn't even asked about Trask or QB competition, the question was simply about how Baker-Bucs worked came together in 23 off season.

What's interesting is he said it AFTER Baker had a good season with us and we re signed him to a lucrative extension. Why? Because it's irrelevant at that point. Baker has his money. Trask is no threat. But by saying Trask was "close" to starting after the fact it appears to the media and simpletons foolish enough to believe it that Trask is close to being as good as Baker was in 2023.

Reality is instead of getting behind the Kyle Trask train after 2 years of him being here, our coaching staff said "No thanks" and looked elsewhere. 12 months from now Trask likely won't even be under contract here.
It would have been GMing and coaching malpractice to give Trask the starting job with no competition. We gave him that competition in Baker, Baker was given the starting nod secondary to his experience, and he ran with it to the tune of a playoff win, Pro Bowl selection, and a contract with lots of zeros on the big numbers. Hats off to Baker for his accomplishments. And those accomplishments don't dim Trask's star, imo. He was, per multiple team sources, very close to Baker, and reportedly at least one point was even in the lead.

The hate for Trask around here is ridiculous.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Baker Mayfield is a mediocre to below average qb who we gave $50M to. We have Kyle Trask making $1M. If they were really that close, why not save $49M and invest in roster upgrades and go with Trask. If Mayfield is really that good, someone would've signed him for good money and with playing time in the coming season, we'd probably get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

So, instead of a comp pick, $49 M to upgrade the roster, and a potential franchise qb... this front office gave a backend qb $50, we didn't upgrade our roster, and our qb situation is in limbo. If you believe that Licht is being honest about Trask, then you'd have to wonder how galactically stupid he could be to put the team on a crash course for a full rebuild in 20 months (maybe 10).

When Trask is playing in the UFL in 10 months, I guess we'll know that Licht was full of crap about the qb competition.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So who are the plus players in the 2021 draft
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:22 am
Bootz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:22 am

It would have been GMing and coaching malpractice to give Trask the starting job with no competition. We gave him that competition in Baker, Baker was given the starting nod secondary to his experience, and he ran with it to the tune of a playoff win, Pro Bowl selection, and a contract with lots of zeros on the big numbers. Hats off to Baker for his accomplishments. And those accomplishments don't dim Trask's star, imo. He was, per multiple team sources, very close to Baker, and reportedly at least one point was even in the lead.

The hate for Trask around here is ridiculous.
The solution to every QB battle isn't competition. Who did Jordan Love compete with to become Packers QB after they traded Rodgers? Just because fans don't know, teams know exactly what they have in these guys. We looked elsewhere for a reason and it wasn't because the rule of law is you need competition.

Those reports don't add up with how things played out. Baker started the 1st PS game, not Trask. If Trask were "leading" at that point he would've started that game. Instead he came in midway through the 2nd quarter. Trask did start the 2nd PS game and Baker didn't even play. That was a very obvious indication that the "competition" was over. And who started the 3rd PS game & played along with the starters? Baker. It was obvious this was never a competition. But as I stated fans are gullible and will hold on like a leech to anything they feels validates their feelings. You more than anyone should know how you do in practice doesn't matter nearly as much when it comes to making decisions about who plays. It matters in regards to making a roster. But those decisions are made on the playing field.