Bucs v Giants Analysis

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Backside

Bucs v Giants Analysis

Post by Backside »

I always like these threads to get some insight into what happened, and post clips that are found through the week.

My other motive for this thread is to hopefully get a good breakdown on our rookie pass rusher. I always try to watch Tryon when I notice him on the field. And he got a huge play time increase last night (50% of snaps). One series in particular, towards the end of the third quarter. He played the entire series, seemed like Shaq and JPP were off the whole drive. First play he chased down Barkley from behind after a 10 yard gain. Beat his man soundly basically every pass rush. And was also playing three technique, hand on the ground, with Suh as the only other lineman with his hand in the dirt. And he looked great doing it. Last play of the drive was like 3rd and 28, he destroys the interior blocker, and was so close to the sack, forced an incompletion anyway.

That’s how I remember watching it live anyway. The kid continues to look like a stud and is just so damn twitchy. Hopefully his tape, and the rest of the team can get some in depth breakdowns here.
Last edited by Backside on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backside

Re: Bucs v Giants Analysis

Post by Backside »

I like that Bowles is finding creative ways to fill the void left by Vea.
BLT

Post by BLT »

He looked real good yesterday
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

He's the future of our pass rush. At this point, I'd sit JPP for a game or two to let that shoulder heal up and to let this kid get some work in.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am He's the future of our pass rush. At this point, I'd sit JPP for a game or two to let that shoulder heal up and to let this kid get some work in.
He tore his rotator cuff and needs surgery and also has a broken hand. He admits he's in a lot of pain. A game or 2 isn't going to help. But he's made it clear he's not going anywhere. He does need to sit though.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I’ll take a look at JTS’s snaps this week.

He missed a tackle but outside of that he had a great game. Waaaaay more dynamic and effective than the snaps JPP has been running out there as of recent.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 am
Defense5599 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am He's the future of our pass rush. At this point, I'd sit JPP for a game or two to let that shoulder heal up and to let this kid get some work in.
He tore his rotator cuff and needs surgery and also has a broken hand. He admits he's in a lot of pain. A game or 2 isn't going to help. But he's made it clear he's not going anywhere. He does need to sit though.
Exactly the point. Let him heal partially so he can be in less pain come playoff time.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 am

Exactly the point. Let him heal partially so he can be in less pain come playoff time.
You don't "partially heal" a rotator cuff. It needs to be surgically repaired.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Everyone’s favorite stats

Also for whenever we get a discussion thread for this week, Arians said Vea should be good to go. Big surprise and fantastic news if he only misses one game.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Of all their uniform combos, I dislike this one the most because it always reminds me of the Falcons.
Don't tread on me
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 am

You don't "partially heal" a rotator cuff. It needs to be surgically repaired.
Actually it can heal a bit with some rest and inactivity, but he will be in constant pain from it and the injury is likely to get worse. But surgery will end his season. He probably knows that this is it for him so he wants to give it his all. Unfortunately that "all" is not good enough.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:25 pm Of all their uniform combos, I dislike this one the most because it always reminds me of the Falcons.
I think they should wear pewter pants with red jerseys and red pants with white jerseys.
Backside

Post by Backside »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:48 am
This is the absolute truth. This is a worse defense with JPP on the field and JTS on the sideline right now.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

It makes you wonder if they're holding JTS back with the plan of having him start in the playoffs, and just squeezing out the last football JPP has in him before they bench him for spot duty through however long the playoffs last.

I think the first time JTS starts will be the last time JPP starts, ever. But they want to season JTS just a little bit longer until the final stretch of the regular season begins. We'll see.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Backside wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am

I like that Bowles is finding creative ways to fill the void left by Vea.

We got something going when we stand around mish mashed instead of getting into a traditional defensive stance, the o-line gets confused on who to block.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Xandtar wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:32 pm It makes you wonder if they're holding JTS back with the plan of having him start in the playoffs, and just squeezing out the last football JPP has in him before they bench him for spot duty through however long the playoffs last.

I think the first time JTS starts will be the last time JPP starts, ever. But they want to season JTS just a little bit longer until the final stretch of the regular season begins. We'll see.
JTS has technically started 3 games, including the first game of the season.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Xandtar wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:32 pm It makes you wonder if they're holding JTS back with the plan of having him start in the playoffs, and just squeezing out the last football JPP has in him before they bench him for spot duty through however long the playoffs last.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This has much more to do with JPP than JTS. JPP is damn near a liability out there with his injuries. It's showing on the field.

JTS is a non factor as a run defender though. He struggles using his hands to get off blocks and at this point is a grabber more so than he is a tackler. But he has 1 thing going for him. He's healthy. JPP is not. The difference is obvious on the field.
Backside

Post by Backside »

The third and 28 play mentioned in OP

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Plays like this are part of the reason JTS is on the bench. If that's a RB, he misses the tackle and it's a bigger gain. His retweet comment tells it all: He has to finish. Nice pressure on this play but hardly the norm for him. He doesn't tackle well and as you can see he's a grabber as I stated before.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I stand corrected. JTS has a ways to go to reach his potential.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The Giants center held JPP
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:04 pm Plays like this are part of the reason JTS is on the bench. If that's a RB, he misses the tackle and it's a bigger gain. His retweet comment tells it all: He has to finish. Nice pressure on this play but hardly the norm for him. He doesn't tackle well and as you can see he's a grabber as I stated before.
Not bad playing a light weight DT on short notice.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Xandtar wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 pm I stand corrected. JTS has a ways to go to reach his potential.
And there's absolutely no shame in that. He has the tools. Seems to have a great head on his shoulders and the work ethic. He'll get there. But it's a fabricated thought to say he's there.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

It's also clear he did work on his skills during his year off. I remember JPP saying he wish he knew what JT did when he was as rookie. That's a good sign that he can learn and learn quickly.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Yeah had we been playing a QB less mobile than Daniel Jones, JTS would have had at least a couple of sacks. I do agree that he's raw, but at the same time Jones is one of the more athletic QBs in the league so I can forgive his lack of finishing.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm
Backside wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:48 am
This is the absolute truth. This is a worse defense with JPP on the field and JTS on the sideline right now.
Seconded (Thirded?)

Tryon should be getting the bulk of the snaps at this point. This past week, JPP got 44 and Tryon got 29. Flipping that should be the minimum. Much respect and love for JPP. He's a warrior and he was one of Licht's better moves. It's a bit dramatic to call him the Tom Brady of the Defense, but he is that guy in terms of how he galvanizes everyone. But right now, he's simply not making the same impact Tryon is.

FWIW, there aren't many sacred cows for this coaching staff. I'm sure Bowles and Co. are seeing the same things, and I'd be surprised if Tryon isn't seeing more action before the year is over.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Backside wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:47 pm The third and 28 play mentioned in OP

I love the accountability from the kid. He's giving up 80 lbs. to Hernandez and he puts him on skates and blows up the play, but he doesn't get the sack and that's what he focuses on. A lot of dudes would be thumping their chests.

He'll be finishing those plays really soon. The more he plays, the quicker it'll happen.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I was going to do a breakdown of JTS' Giants game, but I just saw that John Ledyard of PR did a pretty robust breakdown of JTS's work on Sunday (breaks down 6 plays). John does great work and I don't have anything to add to what he wrote of those 6 plays.

I'll just link his work here https://www.pewterreport.com/video-bucs ... he-giants/
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Let’s hope the coaches listen. I won’t hold my breath.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Nobody wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:52 am I was going to do a breakdown of JTS' Giants game, but I just saw that John Ledyard of PR did a pretty robust breakdown of JTS's work on Sunday (breaks down 6 plays). John does great work and I don't have anything to add to what he wrote of those 6 plays.

I'll just link his work here https://www.pewterreport.com/video-bucs ... he-giants/
That was an excellent read. More so than highlighting JTS it really shows how poorly JPP has been playing, through no fault of his own. Why is a guy with a torn rotator cuff and fractured finger getting more snaps than Shaq Barrett? The coaches need to just shut JPP down for the rest of the season, or at least transition him to a back-up/reserve role until the playoffs. Rest won't 100% fix a fucked up shoulder but 3-4 weeks of light physio-therapy and rest will definitely do a lot to increase his range of motion and reduce his pain levels. Maybe enough for him to be somewhat effective in the playoffs.

Or just make the guy get surgery and put him on IR.

According to that breakdown JTS has 4 more pressures than JPP in 123 less snaps. Incredible both how poorly JPP is playing and how well JTS is playing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

My lord does Suh look stiff.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Snake wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:26 am My lord does Suh look stiff.
Dude.

OOCA