Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

Doctor

Chris Godwin Thread

Post by Doctor »

Are we bringing him back?

While we love to think Godwin would love to be here, and he probably does, he played last year on a franchise tag that was forced onto him. Also running it back was undoubtedly on his mind as well.

But fresh off an injury, you have to think he's going to want to lock up the most guaranteed money he can. Maybe a factor- the Jags with new HC Byron Leftwich have the second most cap this offseason.

In the end of the day, I just don't think we have the cap to compete with some of the possible higher end offers.
Backside

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by Backside »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Amari Cooper signed a 5 year contract with the Dallas Cowboys on March 17, 2020. The contract is worth $100 million with $40 million fully guaranteed with a total injury guarantee of $60 million. Gotta think Godwin is targetting something in that range.

The good news is that it's a bit of a crowded market with three coming off FTs: Adams, Robinson, and Godwin. You also have guys like Mike Williams, JuJu, and Will Fuller.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He gone
Dread

Post by Dread »

Hopefully we get a deal done with Godwin.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I hope he comes back. He'd be my top priority in free agency.

While I broke down in my thread about the cap that we can get the space to resign him, we haven't made any of those moves yet. As it stands, we can be outbid by many other teams in the free agent market. Especially if Leftwich is confirmed as being the Jags head coach, I can see Lefty backing up the money truck for Godwin.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 am I hope he comes back. He'd be my top priority in free agency.

While I broke down in my thread about the cap that we can get the space to resign him, we haven't made any of those moves yet. As it stands, we can be outbid by many other teams in the free agent market. Especially if Leftwich is confirmed as being the Jags head coach, I can see Lefty backing up the money truck for Godwin.
Makes sense for Godwin also. He gets to stay in an offense he's very familiar with and been productive in. While getting to play with a talented young QB. He could stack some very productive seasons like he did on 2019 w/ Jameis since the Jags will be playing from behind quite a bit.

I'd love Godwin to stay, but if I'm advising him and the Jags are offering the largest contract then his legacy/career/life might be best served going to Jacksonville.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Assuming no one else can match the Jags offers, which is likely, it all just makes too much sense.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Dread wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:04 am his legacy/career/life might be best served going to Jacksonville.
Don't hear that very often.
BLT

Post by BLT »

That's because it's not true.
Monero

Post by Monero »

If Brady retires, why would Godwin want to stay with the Bucs?
Dread

Post by Dread »

BLT wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:22 am That's because it's not true.
Maybe not. It wasn't a definitive statement either way.

The statement had the assumption the money would be better there. More years, higher AAV, more guaranteed, etc. Still in Florida also which is great from a sales tax perspective.

Also, the Brady bubble here in Tampa is going to pop (assuming it hasn't already). So next season (assuming Brady returns) would be much better from a team success standpoint in Tampa vs Jacksonville, so in the very near future Tampa will have to find a new QB and HC, which is less than ideal for a WR in their prime like Godwin will be.

I could see the logic of getting out ahead of that potential turnover here in Tampa, which happens to coincide with him hitting the FA market and joining up with his OC from the past 3 seasons in a place that already has a QB he could play the rest of his career with.

Godwin already has his championship, and while a 2nd one would be great, what his legacy/career would benefit more from is going to helping yet another historically bad franchise become a winner. But this time as the WR1 racking up 100 catch - 1500yd seasons
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Monero wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 am If Brady retires, why would Godwin want to stay with the Bucs?
He likes the team.
He likes the city.
He likes the community.
He likes his teammates.
He likes his coaches.
He feels treated right.
We pay him what he deserves.
He likes the direction of the team.
He likes the weather.
He likes playing in an open stadium with real grass.
He doesn't want to move.
He's loyal.
Has made friends and a life in Tampa.
Dread

Post by Dread »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 am
Monero wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 am If Brady retires, why would Godwin want to stay with the Bucs?
He likes the team.
He likes the city.
He likes the community.
He likes his teammates.
He likes his coaches.
He feels treated right.
He likes the weather.
He doesn't want to move.
He's loyal.
I hope you're right. I'm playing D/A a bit and could understand why he would leave is all.

Imo the Bucs were in better position to re-sign Godwin to extension last offseason than they are now.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The "pay him what he deserves" part is beating around the bush as it's the market that decides what he deserves. If he gets offered $25M/yr I very much doubt he'll think "well I don't deserve that"...

The highest offer set the bar for "what he deserves" and everyone else is being given a discount. And I don't think we can be the highest offer. So in the end he'd be giving us a discount off "what he deserves" in return for all the other things you stated.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Dread wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 am
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 am

He likes the team.
He likes the city.
He likes the community.
He likes his teammates.
He likes his coaches.
He feels treated right.
He likes the weather.
He doesn't want to move.
He's loyal.
I hope you're right. I'm playing D/A a bit and could understand why he would leave is all.

Imo the Bucs were in better position to re-sign Godwin to extension last offseason than they are now.
I don't know Godwin's motives but there's plenty more than just playing for Tom Brady.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think "playing with a good QB" is always on a WRs list. But it, along with pretty much everything else, usually takes a back seat to money.

Jags can offer both.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:59 pm I think "playing with a good QB" is always on a WRs list. But it, along with pretty much everything else, usually takes a back seat to money.

Jags can offer both.
You're calling Trevor Lawrence a "good qb"?
BLT

Post by BLT »

Lawrence is not attracting WR's to Jacksonville.

He could end up being good, but he looked inaccurate and tentative. Right now he's not drawing anyone in just because he was a top pick. FA's don't care when you were drafted they care how you play.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You know players also watch college ball right? I'm sure the thinking around the league from players to coaches to execs is far more "Urban is trash" than "Lawrence is a bust".

While I wouldn't say Lawrence is attracting WRs, there is no shortage of QB rooms that are actively a turning off WRs. I don't think the Jags are one of them. That's saying something given the one season TL has in the books. Sure, he didn't crush his rookie year. A lot of players don't. We need to stop acting like that's somehow an unforgivable sin. I doubt Lefty took the job thinking to himself "Now I need to find me a QB".
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

I think he comes back but if we can't get the deal done and Brady stays I say we go after Braxton Berrios. Brady would love a guy like that.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Despite nursing a torn ACL suffered in Week 15, Chris Godwin remains a top priority for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as he is set to become a free agent.

Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Bucs have "high interest" in re-signing Godwin because they consider him the "Lavonte David of their offense—the tough and physical player who sets a tone and embodies team culture."

Do it Dom.
Kress

Post by Kress »

They all know it, but dude just received a first-hand lesson in how fragile his career is. I doubt "loyalty" has much sway at this point. This contract is about securing his family for life. His next one, if he's around, may lean toward legacy, comfort, and all that. But this one is about the money, and it should be.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

It all depends on if he's willing to give a home town discount to the team that drafted him. I think if Brady comes back for one more year, he will sign a one year deal at that discount. If not, he walks this year.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
nybf

Post by nybf »

He'd be stupid to sign a one year deal.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 pm It all depends on if he's willing to give a home town discount to the team that drafted him. I think if Brady comes back for one more year, he will sign a one year deal at that discount. If not, he walks this year.
After that injury, no way he takes a discount, his value is way to high and he has already won a Super Bowl. He wants loyalty from Tampa due to not signing him long term. Tampa gave Vea an extension before Chris, that means something.
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:01 pm He'd be stupid to sign a one year deal.
Yup, no way in hell Chris Godwin signs a 1yr deal with the Bucs unless it's via the franchise tag. Which would be 125% of last years salary b/c we'd be tagging him in b2b years.

That is an option, especially if Brady returns and we can't get a long term deal done with Godwin. But still very unlikely imo since the franchise tag doesn't provide the team and cap flexibility to manipulate the numbers like a long term deal would.

I think there is better than 50/50 chance the Bucs and Godwin work out a multi-year extension.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Kress wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm They all know it, but dude just received a first-hand lesson in how fragile his career is. I doubt "loyalty" has much sway at this point. This contract is about securing his family for life. His next one, if he's around, may lean toward legacy, comfort, and all that. But this one is about the money, and it should be.
Yup. The CBA was re-negotiated a few years back to put the big money into 2nd contract players that had proven themselves and would be in their prime years. As it should be imo.

Godwin is at that stage now and the Bucs will have to be very competitive with any offer if they want to retain him.

Highly drafted players (top 10 picks) still make good money as rookies, but with Godwin being a 3rd rounder he never really made big time NFL money till last season when he was on the franchise tag.

He has the chance to get $40+ million guaranteed this offseason with the potential to make around $80-100 million over the next 4-5years.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:12 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 pm It all depends on if he's willing to give a home town discount to the team that drafted him. I think if Brady comes back for one more year, he will sign a one year deal at that discount. If not, he walks this year.
After that injury, no way he takes a discount, his value is way to high and he has already won a Super Bowl. He wants loyalty from Tampa due to not signing him long term. Tampa gave Vea an extension before Chris, that means something.
Hadn't really thought about that before. Huh.

It doesn't really make a ton of sense, does it? If Godwin were willing to talk reasonable numbers, surely we would have extended him first rather than Vea.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Cut. Literally. Everyone. But seriously, Brate has to go, can't we void something like 7 million on the cap if we straight up cut him? Any other guys under contract who grossly underperform their salaries?
Monero

Post by Monero »

I'm guessing Godwin is waiting on Brady. We don't have any starting QBs on the roster so unless Godwin just can't live without playing for the Bucs, there are so many other places he could go for similar money and continue winning. If
Brady leaves it's going to be a dark couple years at least until we find another QB.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Dread wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:22 pm
Kress wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm They all know it, but dude just received a first-hand lesson in how fragile his career is. I doubt "loyalty" has much sway at this point. This contract is about securing his family for life. His next one, if he's around, may lean toward legacy, comfort, and all that. But this one is about the money, and it should be.
Yup. The CBA was re-negotiated a few years back to put the big money into 2nd contract players that had proven themselves and would be in their prime years. As it should be imo.

Godwin is at that stage now and the Bucs will have to be very competitive with any offer if they want to retain him.

Highly drafted players (top 10 picks) still make good money as rookies, but with Godwin being a 3rd rounder he never really made big time NFL money till last season when he was on the franchise tag.

He has the chance to get $40+ million guaranteed this offseason with the potential to make around $80-100 million over the next 4-5years.
Also, a second franchise tag would put us 10 million over the cap right now. Ain't gonna happen.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I hate to be callous but the timing works in our favor (sorry Chris). Had it happened early he could show off his recovery by free agency, but given it was so late in the season there won't be a lot of new information for teams about his progress. That could make teams hesitant to go all in.

But it really only takes one to believe. And if Leftwich goes to the Jags that's a strong contender with tons of cap.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I love Godwin and think he's actually a better receiver than Evans, but in each of the last 3 seasons, he's missed games and finished the season on IR twice. Since becoming a regular starter, he's missed games. I think it's safe to officially call him "injury prone". I'd rather not sign an injury prone player to a 7 year/$18M AAV deal.

I think Allen Robinson could probably be had for a couple million less and half the years. Emmanuel Sanders or Jamison Crowder could probably be had for a 3 yr/$15M deal. Juju could probably be brought in for a reasonably cheap 1 yr prove-it deal. I wouldn't be opposed to Christian Kirk on a 4 yr / $45M deal.

With all that said, signing any of those guys would have to come along with using a fairly early pick (round 2 or 3), on a WR. Even pick #30 if a stud falls.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:12 pm
Yes, it means a dominant DT is more important than a great WR.