Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Didn’t expect we’d have to do this but… OC options?

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:46 am
CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 am

Wow! Wouldn't that be awesome!
Some of you are in such a hurry to get the #1 pick in the draft.
Yeah, because Mayfield is so great and our team is so terrible, that without him, we would be 7 games worse. With a good OC and adequate qb, we win 9 games next year.... kinda EXACTLY what happened this past year.

Too bad the league doesn't allow teams to make trades to move up in the draft, huh?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:01 am

Yeah, because Mayfield is so great and our team is so terrible, that without him, we would be 7 games worse. With a good OC and adequate qb, we win 9 games next year.... kinda EXACTLY what happened this past year.

Too bad the league doesn't allow teams to make trades to move up in the draft, huh?
They actually won 10 games, but I digress.

Are you really not impressed that they were able to identify and sign Mayfield, win the division, win a playoff game, and overall have an extremely successful season with $80M in dead cap?

What more do you want? A Super Bowl every year? That’s a pretty rare accomplishment. You kind of want to build a team, a culture, an organization that consistently wins enough to be in the conversation.

That’s what they’re building. Enjoy it.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:10 am

Are you really not impressed that they were able to identify and sign Mayfield, win the division, win a playoff game, and overall have an extremely successful season with $80M in dead cap?

What more do you want? A Super Bowl every year? That’s a pretty rare accomplishment. You kind of want to build a team, a culture, an organization that consistently wins enough to be in the conversation.

The problem is, a key brick has been taken out of the wall. Now what do you do? Find a new offensive coordinator? That's a good way to ruin a QB. Promote Thad Lewis? You have to wonder if he is ready and we all know how well the Bucs have fared in the past with promoting from within. Find an offensive coordinator that Mayfield has worked with before? Sounds logical for Mayfield but not necessarily for anyone else on the offense.

We're in a quandry here.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I'm not rehashing this here. Mayfield isn't as good as you think and it's not that hard to replace a mediocre QB like him. I'll leave it at that. There are other threads that deal with this. A few of us made a joke (even though it was true), that's all.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 am

Wow! Wouldn't that be awesome!
Since Selmon, have we ever had a #1 pick work out?
Don't tread on me
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

We won the worst division in football with nearly every one of our regular season wins coming against teams in the bottom of the league.

We then beat an Eagles team that clearly had something very wrong with it.

Did you watch games this season? We did not look great in most.

Now we just lost our promising OC. We pick near the end of the draft. Our best players need new contracts.

It doesn’t feel good
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Kellen Moore would be good... I think.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I'm not sure I like either Moore or Johnson.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:57 am
The Eagles offense underperformed this year, right? That makes me leery of bringing him in here unless there are reasons for the issues.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I liked some things I've read about Jerrod Johnson from Houston. I've read he was interviewing with Pittsburgh and Dallas.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:10 am
The Eagles offense underperformed this year, right? That makes me leery of bringing him in here unless there are reasons for the issues.
Inconsistent, absolutely. But overall they finished 7th in scoring, 8th in total yards, 16th in passing, 8th in rushing, 3rd in 3rd down percentage, 7th in TOP.

That said his playcalling left a lot to be desired.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:08 am I'm not sure I like either Moore or Johnson.
Both have severe flaws and if this team takes a step backward next year, it would probably result in Bowles getting his walking papers.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Guys, guys, guys. We have Baker Mayfield, the greatest QB in the land, do we really even need a OC?

/blue
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:47 am

We also want Bowles gone. And Licht gone. And the Glazer family to sell the team to an owner that actually gives a damn about winning.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Licht? This is a take from someone just wanting to bitch
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Noles1724 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:34 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:47 am

We also want Bowles gone. And Licht gone. And the Glazer family to sell the team to an owner that actually gives a damn about winning.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Licht? This is a take from someone just wanting to bitch
The question is, who is doing the bitching? :D
Last edited by BuccaNOLEer on Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:15 am
Primeminister wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:10 am

Inconsistent, absolutely. But overall they finished 7th in scoring, 8th in total yards, 16th in passing, 8th in rushing, 3rd in 3rd down percentage, 7th in TOP.

That said his playcalling left a lot to be desired.
I've heard Chris Simms make an argument that Hurts could be a culprit, contributing to the collapse of offense besides his coaches. I can believe it. He still isn't great at throwing with anticipation and when opposing defenses are blitzing the F out of him, he barely does any change of play or protection at the line.

Baker is pretty bad himself at adjusting the offense on the fly against blitz, we paid a hefty price for it in the playoffs. The risk of Brian Johnson not coming with easy solutions to that problem could absolutely be there.

Even so, the guy has a very attractive set of accomplishments and I would be excited about our offense with him calling plays.

Kellen Moore would be another exciting hire. Has a pretty good track record with a QB we all aspire Baker can be similar to in Dak and an offense that was always dangerous in two dimensions.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 am

Bo Jackson and Steve Young (supplemental) were both… oh you meant work out for us.

Ricky Bell was apparently a gem (albeit before my time).

But, Vinny and Jameis sure were whiffs.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I’d shake his hand to greet him, and before his ass hits the seat say “Take all the time you need and be as blunt as possible: what went wrong in Philly this season?”
Last edited by Deja Entendu on Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BucsFan6000

Post by BucsFan6000 »

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/17509 ... 97767?s=46

In case the Tweet doesn’t immediately show: we’re also interviewing Ken Dorsey
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

BucsFan6000 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:24 pm https://x.com/adamschefter/status/17509 ... 97767?s=46

In case the Tweet doesn’t immediately show: we’re also interviewing Ken Dorsey
If the Bucs hire him, they will have to allocate extra funds to replace communications equipment.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I'd ask Dorsey what this was about

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 am

Bo Jackson and Steve Young (supplemental) were both… oh you meant work out for us.

Ricky Bell was apparently a gem (albeit before my time).

But, Vinny and Jameis sure were whiffs.
Forgot about Bell. But I think that’s it that worked out for Tampa. Unfortunately, Bell’s career was cut too short.
Don't tread on me
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:31 pm
Al Bundy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:28 pm I'm not sure if I am an up and coming OC type that I want to tie myself to the cement shoes that is Todd Bowels.
Uhh. Do people think before they post things?
Sad part is that they do think and this is the best they can come up with
Backside

Post by Backside »

Al Bundy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:28 pm I'm not sure if I am an up and coming OC type that I want to tie myself to the cement shoes that is Todd Bowels.
It's actually hilarious how bad and poorly thought out this post is.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:27 am

I'm not rehashing this here. Mayfield isn't as good as you think and it's not that hard to replace a mediocre QB like him. I'll leave it at that. There are other threads that deal with this. A few of us made a joke (even though it was true), that's all.
Fair enough.

I think if you actually went through the last 10 NFL drafts and looked at all the first round QBs selected over that time period you’d find it actually is rather difficult to replace even a “mediocre” QB.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Backside wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:33 pm
No kidding. Being an OC on the staff of a defensive-minded HC is the way to go if you want to get noticed for a HC job. If you are decent at your job, there's no question it is due to your work not the offensive-minded HC taking a red pen to your game plan.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Pirate Life wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:22 pm
Backside wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:33 pm

No kidding. Being an OC on the staff of a defensive-minded HC is the way to go if you want to get noticed for a HC job. If you are decent at your job, there's no question it is due to your work not the offensive-minded HC taking a red pen to your game plan.
Not to mention that the thing they are saying won't happen is literally exactly what just happened with Canales and Bowles. It's an impressively dumb post.
Last edited by Backside on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I am on the camp "re-sign Mayfield", but I do also believe that Bucs would have been a 9 win team during the regular season with Ridder, Heinecke or Carr.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:08 am I'm not sure I like either Moore or Johnson.
You appear to pretty much like nothing. :lol:
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Four Verticals wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:42 pm
You appear to pretty much like nothing. :lol:
Moore has coordinated high powered offenses that was pass heavy. Johnson was with a team that used their QB as primary runner. Neither coach ran an offense that fits Mayfield.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned Houston's QB coach as a potential option. He's been with an offense which was a run focused offense with a mobile pocket passer who only runs when he has to.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:21 pm
Do not let him leave One Bucs Place.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Robinson would be my first choice, got a feeling he may follow Raheem to Atlanta. But money talks