Bobby Wagner/Devin White

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

Bobby Wagner/Devin White

Post by Defense5599 »

Just a thought. I know White's play has regressed this year as an ILB, but he is still pretty good with getting into the backfield. With Wagner being released, I was wondering if the Bucs would make a run at him and move White to OLB where he can compete with JTS to fill JPP's spot?

What do you guys think?
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Snake

Re: Bobby Wagner/Devin White

Post by Snake »

White is not a pass rusher unless it’s shooting an open gap and utilizing his 4.4 speed. He is not an outside linebacker pass rusher a.k.a. edge. Short arms, short, no pass rush package.

The Buccaneers, at most, are going to have two traditional off-ball LBs on the field, because modern offenses.

Make no mistake. I would love to bring Wagner in. he makes the roster better. The question is about price and who is going to be OK with sitting on the bench. Given those factors, I don’t see it happening. If he’s willing to come for veteran minimum and OK with spot snaps until he inevitably takes Devin White‘s job? Sure! Bye Minter!

The money can be better spent tho. We already have roster imbalance and it gets worse if Godwin is paid $20m.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Signing Bobby Wagner makes as much sense as signing Terron Armstead; he'd be too expensive, he would displace an established starter even though he may be better, and we have bigger fish to fry. We have a ton of pending free agents who are a higher priority than signing a free agent player at a position of relative strength.

No way.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm Signing Bobby Wagner makes as much sense as signing Terron Armstead; he'd be too expensive, he would displace an established starter even though he may be better, and we have bigger fish to fry. We have a ton of pending free agents who are a higher priority than signing a free agent player at a position of relative strength.

No way.
This is somewhat of an aside, but I mentioned elsewhere...I think 4D chess is shopping Devin White. I don't think he's what he was drafted to be, and I don't think he ever will be. That instinct that EVERY great inside linebacker has (Lewis, Kuechly, Urlacher, Morgan, etc), he does not. He just doesn't. He's such an outstanding athlete that he'll ALWAYS have highlights, but down-to-down, he's a guesser, and he guesses wrong a lot. He's also a liability as a tackler far too foten.

BUT I would be willing to bet some GM or Coach will see the measurables, see his (outlier) sack totals from 2021, and offer us a 1st. If he played for another team, I would probably want my team to make a deal like that - until I studied him.

For the record, we'd save about $5 mil this year and we'd be off the hook for his $12 mil option year next year.

And no, I know this won't happen. We don't play 4D chess in Tampa.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Devin White wasn't as good in 2021 but I think he's very under appreciated around here. Luckily though, that under appreciation seems to be exclusively here. Oh and PFF.

In 3 years DW has made a Pro Bowl and an All-Pro team. DPOY candidate? Not yet. But he's 24(10 days older than Kyle Trask) which would mean he's still learning and improving.

Shopping him is more like 2D checkers. Outside looking in, why would the a team be shopping a 5th overall pick 4 years into his career after 2 seasons in which he made an All-Pro team and a Pro Bowl if there weren't serious concerns?
Cap related? No. You can save more by shopping or cutting other players.
New scheme? Nope. He was the 1st player drafted to this current regime as the new leader of the defense.
Lack of production? Nope. 100+ tackles 2 straight years.
Malcontent? Nope. DW loves it here and is well loved by the organization.

So what incentive do I have in offering a premium draft pick? I'd offer a 4th and call your bluff.

As far as Wagner, he has more great years behind him than in front of him. Makes no sense to sign him at an expensive rate on a team that isn't contending for a title.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Y'all need to chill.